Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia is the official "go to" resource for details on the Archie-Sonic canon, comprised of a number of Data Files detailing characters, places, and events from the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Comic Universe. It covers events up to StH: #241 and SU: #44, making it a near complete compilation of information on the original Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.
Sonic the Hedgehog is the longest running video game-inspired comic ever! But who is Sonic? Why do they call Dr. Robotnik "Eggman"? What is a Chaos Emerald, and what exactly does it do? Sonic's world is a big place, and it's easy to get lost in over 300 issues worth of stories. Enter this essential reference volume to save the day! This all-encompassing illustrated encyclopedia is the ultimate guide to Sonic's world, loaded with key information on characters, teams, magical artifacts and more! All this, plus an extensive world map of Mobius and a timeline that sheds new light on past events.
List of Data Files
- "Sonic and the Freedom Fighters"
- "Knuckles and the Chaotix"
- "Royalty and Government"
- "Friends and Family"
- "Knuckles Legacy"
- "Gods of Mobius"
- "Shadow and G.U.N"
- "Freedom Fighters of the World"
- Team Freedom and Team Fighters
- Secret Freedom Fighters
- Substitute Freedom Fighters
- Monkey Khan
- Mercian Freedom Fighters
- Downunda Freedom Fighters
- Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters
- Geoffrey St. John
- Dulcy the Dragon and the Dragon Tribe
- Arctic Freedom Fighters
- Original Freedom Fighters
- Lupe Wolf and the Wolf Pack
- Nate Morgan and Eddy the Yeti
- Mobie and the Gorilla Army
- "The Eggman Empire"
- "The Wicked Echidnas"
- "Villains of Planet Mobius"
- "Other Worlds"
- Cosmic Interstate
- Zonic and the Zone Cops
- Silver the Hedgehog
- Blaze the Cat and Her World
- Dr. Nega, Sol Emeralds, and Jeweled Scepter
- Scourge the Hedgehog
- Suppression Squad
- Special Zone
- Twilight Cage
- Maginary World
- Sonic Underground
- Alien Planets-Argentium, Azuria, Weeet, and Planet Xorda
- Alien Races-Azurites, Bem, Blodex, D'Novulans, etc.
- The Xorda and the Black Arms
- Dark Mobius
- Those Who Have Passed: Armand D'Coolette, Mello, etc.
- "Magical Talismans"
- "Mobian Technology"
- "The World of Mobius Prime"
- "Mobius Timeline"
- "The Future?..."
- The book was known to be in development for quite a long time (since roughly 2009). At one point the book went under the title of Sonic the Hedgehog Who's Who Volume 1 (implying it would've originally been spread over several books at one point) with two alternate covers shown (though it's possible the very first cover, featuring artwork reused from the cover of StH#139, was merely a placeholder). The original release date was given as October 2010, but it was delayed until October 2012.
- The "Data Files" that make up the bulk of the encyclopedia's content were first introduced as bonus material in Archie Sonic the Hedgehog #101. The Data Files found in the encyclopedia are edited to contain more relevant information and feature more accurate artwork.
- While the encyclopedia uses some updated versions of character profiles originally published in the comics including Free Comic Book Day 2011, the Mobius Timeline feature is a complete reprint of material already published in Sonic Super Special Magazine.
- The pictures used on the Source of All page have Sally wearing her vest, which she didn't wear when the story was first published in Archie Sonic Super Special Issue 11.
- The book covers events in the original Sonic comic universe all the way up to SU#44 and StH#241 (both of which were released earlier that same month). Ironically, the Encyclopedia's release came just over five months before the comic was forced to reboot due to the Ken Penders lawsuit. This, fittingly, makes the Encyclopedia a near-complete recount of the entire Pre-Super Genesis Wave Timeline (of course it does not cover events that occurred between those five months, such as the Banishment of the Echidnas or the Chaotix reuniting with Mighty and Ray).
- Characters depicted on the final cover of the encyclopedia include:
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sally Acorn
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Dr. Eggman
- Amy Rose
- Antoine D'Coolette
- Bunnie Rabbot-D'Coolette
- Rotor Walrus
- Metal Sonic
- Titan Metal Sonic
- Jet the Hawk
- Storm the Albatross
- Wave the Swallow
- Enerjak (Dark Mobius version)
- Ixis Naugus (obscured)
- Blaze the Cat
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Vector the Crocodile
- Big the Cat (leg visible)
- Rouge the Bat (feet visible)
- Cream the Rabbit (legs visible)
- Silver the Hedgehog
- Several Badniks
- Scourge the Hedgehog
- Several common rumors confirmed in the encyclopedia include:
- New information related by the Encyclopedia includes:
- Rob o' the Hedge is the true king of Mercia.
- There exists a group of Nerb Freedom Fighters
- There have been four Enerjak's in existence on Mobius Prime.
- The events of the Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) game actually occurred in Mobius Prime. The time travel plot ended with the game's villains and events erased from time.
- When "interracial" Mobian couples have children, they either have twin children that each carry one of the parents' physical traits, or have one child that carries both parents' physical traits.
- Perhaps due to the fact that the encyclopedia is the largest book containing original Sonic material from Archie, several editing errors are present. This includes but is not limited to an incomplete sentence on Rotor's article on page 10 and the book referring to itself as the "Who's Who" encyclopedia on page 109. The mistake on Rotor's article, however, was corrected in the second printing.
Cameos and References
- A depiction of the earliest drawing of Eggman from Sega (the one wearing pajamas) appears on the cover. Since there is no entry about him on the book, this addition is most likely a display of artistic license.
- The table of contents contains a number of in-jokes/references, including:
- "Gods of Mobius: 'Face to faith with those who walk!'" - "Face to Faith" was the name of the vocal soundtrack to Sonic and the Black Knight.
- "Other Freedom Fighters: 'Freedom is the fight of all sentient beings!'" - This line is a reference to the catchphrase of Optimus Prime from the Transformers franchise.
- "The Eggman Empire: 'He's got the master plan!'" - This quote is an excerpt from "E.G.G.M.A.N.", Dr. Eggman's theme from Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Magical Talismans: '7 Emeralds + 50 Rings: Jump up and press "A"!'" - This is a reference to how a player can transform into Super Sonic in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
- "The World of Mobius Prime: 'Planetary Pieces: A world of Sonic Adventure!'" - "A world of Sonic Adventure" refers to Sonic World Adventure, the Japanese title to Sonic Unleashed. "Planetary Pieces" was the name of its soundtrack.
- "The Future?...: 'Dreams (and nightmares) of a future absolution'" - This is a reference to Silver the Hedgehog's theme in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), "Dreams of an Absolution".