Sonic Universe Graphic Novel Series is an ongoing series of graphic novels published by Archie Comics, featuring SEGA's mascot video game character Sonic the Hedgehog. The series contains reprints of the ongoing Sonic Universe comic series. Each volume has a title that matches the four-issue arc that it contains from the original comic print.
Volume 1: The Shadow Saga
Enter the Sonic Universe with the first ever Graphic Novel collection of the new hit comic series! Shadow The Hedgehog, the dark and grim Ultimate Lifeform, embarks on his first mission for the Guardian Units of the Nation! He will travel across time and space, fighting deadly killer robots and facing down beings of god-like power! Collects the entire "Shadow Saga" storyline from Sonic Universe #1-4 plus exclusive sketches and special features!
Volume 2: 30 Years Later
It's now thirty years down the line and King Sonic is on the throne. An unstoppable force threatens to destroy Angel Island and the world. It's up to a new generation of Freedom Fighters to save the day! Collects issues #5-8 of Sonic Universe.
Volume 3: Knuckles Returns
Enter the SONIC UNIVERSE alongside Knuckles the Echidna! Rad Red is hot on the trail of his arch-nemesis, Dr. Finitevus. What he finds, however, is an ever-deepening mystery! But before he can investigate further, the newest Dark Egg Legion chapter attacks! To save Angel Island, Knuckles must team up with the Downunda Freedom Fighters – as well as Dr. Finitevus?! New faces, new twists and surprises abound, and you cannot miss the thunderous showdown at the end! SU VOL. 3 collects the entire "Knuckles Returns" storyline from Sonic Universe #9-12 plus exclusive special features!
Volume 4: Journey to the East
When the going gets tough, the tough get going! Sonic leads Tails, Sally and Monkey Khan to the other side of Mobius to the beautiful and mysterious Dragon Kingdom! Four ninja clans have sworn fealty to the Iron Queen and her Iron Dominion, and it's up to Sonic to get them to break away! New and old faces abound in this world-spanning foreign adventure! Collects the entire 'Journey to the East' storyline from Sonic Universe #13-16 plus exclusive special features!
Volume 5: The Tails Adventure
Volume 6: Treasure Team Tango
Volume 7: The Silver Saga
Volume 8: Scourge: Lockdown
Volume 9: Babylon Rising
Volume 10: Scrambled
Volume 11: Secret Freedom
Volume 12: Chaotix Quest
- Sonic Universe Volume 1: The Shadow Saga (September 2011) - issues #1-#4 of Sonic Universe
- Sonic Universe Volume 2: 30 Years Later (March 2012) - issues #5-#8 of Sonic Universe and Mobius: 25 Years Later: Prologue (StH: #131)
- Sonic Universe Volume 3: Knuckles Returns (August 2012) - issues #9-#12 of Sonic Universe and Honor Bound (StH: #186)
- Sonic Universe Volume 4: Journey to the East (February 2013) - issues #13-#16 of Sonic Universe and selections from The Roads we Take (StH: #212)
- Sonic Universe Volume 5: The Tails Adventure (June 2013) - issues #17-#20 of Sonic Universe
- Sonic Universe Volume 6: Treasure Team Tango (November 2013) - issues #21-#24 of Sonic Universe and Welcome Back, Chao! (StH: #217)
- Sonic Universe Volume 7: The Silver Saga (August 2014) - issues #25-#28 of Sonic Universe
- Sonic Universe Volume 8: Scourge: Lockdown (February 2015) - issues #29-#32 of Sonic Universe
- Sonic Universe Volume 9: Babylon Rising (September 2015) - issues #33-#36 of Sonic Universe
- Sonic Universe Volume 10: Scrambled (TBA 2015) - issues #37-#40 of Sonic Universe
- Sonic Universe Volume 11: Secret Freedom (December 2015) - issues #41-#44 of Sonic Universe
- Sonic Universe Volume 12: Chaotix Quest (March 2016) - issues #46-#49 of Sonic Universe
- Volume 1
- The cover art for this volume is from #1.
- The profiles in this volume would later be used in The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia.
- In #4, the colour of the Chaos Emerald that Team Dark obtained from the Special Zone, which was incorrectly coloured green in the original printing, has been changed to its correct colour, red. The light that can be seen emanating from it in certain shots has also been changed to the right colour.
- Volume 2
- The cover art for this volume is from #8.
- In #3, the colour palettes of Belle and Jacques have been changed to the correct colouration.
- Volume 3
- The cover art for this volume is from #9.
- This is the first and, so far, only Sonic Universe graphic novel to have an extended title that is different from the name of the arc that is printed, in this case, "Knuckles Returns" rather than "Knuckles: the Return".
- This volumes afterward by Ian Flynn contains the first official confirmation of the "Endangered Species" story arc that would be printed a few months later in Sonic #243-#246.
- Volume 4
- The cover art for this volume is from #14.
- Volume 5
- The cover art for this volume is from #20. The art in question has been altered slightly from the original printing, where Tails expression was changed from a detirmined frown to a confident smile.
- This volume includes design and storyline concepts for the Battle Bird Armada created by Ian Flynn and Jon Gray, though most of the story ideas appear to have been abandoned. Several design elements were later incorporated into the Armada characters, however, that were not featured in the Tails Adventure game.
- A footnote in this volume stated that the Sonic Riders adaption from StH#163-#164 would be appearing in Best of Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 2, when it was in fact not included. However, it was later discovered that there was an alternate list of stories for that volume on the book's Amazon.com listing, where the Riders adaption was listed. The reason for this seemingly last minute change is unknown.
- Volume 6
- The cover art for this issue is from #21.
- Volume 7
- The cover art for this volume is from #25.
- Early descriptions for this volume promised that the accompanying written stories that appeared on the now defunct Archie Sonic Blog would be printed in here as bonus material. In the the end, the stories were not included for unknown reasons; it may have been related to Ken Penders' lawsuit against Archie.
- Volume 8
- The cover art for this volume is from #29.
- It appears that from this volume onwards, the series will be using non-glossy and lower quality paper than the other volumes.
- Volume 9
- The cover art for this volume is from #33.
- Volume 10
- The cover art for this volume is from #39.
- Volume 11
- The cover art for this volume is from #41