Sonic Universe was an ongoing comic title set within the Archieverse, designed to expand the horizon of the fictional universe. It began its run on February 25th, 2009 and was subsequently released monthly by Archie Comics along with its counterpart title Sonic the Hedgehog, until both comics were cancelled in 2017 following SEGA's ending of their partnership with Archie.
The objective of the series was to expand upon the Archieverse continuity and focus on other characters besides Sonic the Hedgehog, including Shadow and Knuckles. Typically the series consists of four-issue long story arcs, though single-issue stories have also appeared. Four issues were also incorporated into the Worlds Collide crossover event, featuring a crossover between the Sonic the Hedgehog comics and Mega Man, and three issues were a part of its sequel story arc Worlds Unite along with the aforementioned titles plus Sonic Boom. As of the forty-first issue, Sonic Universe was the longest running spinoff of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic, surpassing the previous record held by the Knuckles the Echidna series, as well as the longest running Archie Sonic publication overall beside the main series, a record previously held by Sonic X.
The first 50 issues take place in the comic's original continuity, while issues 55 through 94 took place in the new Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity (after a four issue interval dedicated to the aforementioned crossover).
How to reference in articles:
- (SU: #1)
- The Shadow Saga (#1-#4) Four standalone stories starring Shadow the Hedgehog.
- Living Weapons (#1) Picking up from where SX#40 left off, Shadow and Metal Sonic's dimension-spanning battle brings them to the Sol Zone, where he acquires the help of Blaze the Cat and Marine the Raccoon.
- Time & Again (#2) Taking place directly between StH#198 and #199, Sonic aids Shadow and Rouge in a moonlight mission in disarming an Eggman weapon. The story is intertwined with a series of flashbacks that complete the Sonic Adventure 2 storyline that initially began in StH#98.
- Old Soldiers (#3) Shadow is sent by G.U.N. to hunt down the rogue E-100 Series robot E-102 Gamma with the intention of having it join G.U.N.'s ranks, putting him at odds with Dr. Eggmans newest E-Series creation, E-123 Omega.
- Ultimate Lifeform (#4) With Omega now a member of G.U.N., Abraham Tower assembles Team Dark for the first time ever to retrieve a Chaos Emerald from the Special Zone.
- Mobius: 30 Years Later (#5-#8) Continues five years after the coup d'etat in the Mobius: X Years Later storyline, and features the formation of the Future Freedom Fighters.
- Knuckles: The Return (#9-#12) Focuses on Knuckles and the Chaotix's adventure in combating Dr. Finitevus and the Platypus Dark Egg Legion in Downunda.
- Journey to the East (#13-#16) Part of the "Iron Dominion" storyline, Sonic, Tails, Monkey Khan, and Sally Acorn travel to the Dragon Kingdom to fight against the four clans. Takes place directly between issues #209 and #210 of the main comic series.
- The Tails Adventure (#17-#20) This loose adaptation of the Sega Game Gear game Tails Adventure see's Tails escort Antoine and Bunnie to Cocoa Island for their late honeymoon, where they get caught up in an invasion by the Battle Bird Armada.
- Treasure Team Tango (#21-#24) Blaze the Cat returns to the Prime Zone in search of the blue Sol Emerald, enlisting the aid of Team Rose and going up against Teams Dark, Hooligan and the Babylon Rogues in the process.
- The Silver Saga (#25-#28) The first Milestone arc. Silver the Hedgehog is sidetracked from his quest of finding the traitor to the Knothole Freedom Fighters to the alternate Dark Mobius reality to aid Jani-Ca and the Dark Freedom Fighters in defeating Dark Enerjak.
- Scourge: Lock Down (#29-#32) Catches up on Scourge the Hedgehog after his arrest by the Zone Cops and see's his attempt to reassemble the Destructix and bust out of Zone Jail.
- Babylon Rising (#33-#36) The Babylon Rogues' search for their ancestral homeland of Babylon Garden, leading to an attack on New Mobotropolis alongside the Battle Bird Armada. Takes place between issues 232 and 233 of the main series.
- Scrambled (#37-#40) Eggman goes on the hunt for Snively, who has fled the Empire, in order to reunite with the Iron Queen.
- Secret Freedom (#41-#44) Focuses on Silver and the Secret Freedom Fighters in there attempt to keep tabs on King Ixis Naugus and prevent his plan to brainwash the New Mobotropolis city-folk. Takes place between issues 240 and 241 of the main series.
- Chaotix Quest (#46-#49) Focuses on the Chaotix as they track down Mighty and Ray the Flying Squirrel, leading them to Mercia and then Sand Blast City. This was the last story arc to take place in the old continuity, before the timeline was rebooted by the Super Genesis Wave.
- Pirate Plunder Panic (#55-#58) This spiritual sequel to "Treasure Team Tango" focuses on Blaze's search for the last Sol Emerald, aided once again by Amy and Cream, as they go up against Captain Metal.
- The Dark Trilogy (#59-#70) A trilogy of arcs focusing on Knuckles, Shadow and the Black Arms creature known as Eclipse the Darkling.
- Shadow Fall (#59-#62) The first arc in the trilogy. Follows Team Dark's journey into space to destroy a new Black Comet.
- The Great Chaos Caper (#63-#66) The second arc in the trilogy. Knuckles sets out to find a wounded spirit that is key to ending the Shattered World Crisis, while also helping the Chaotix search for a Chaos Emerald. Meanwhile, Eclipse prepares to exact revenge on Shadow for the new Black Comet's destruction.
- Total Eclipse (#67-#70) The final arc in the trilogy. Shadow comes to Angel Island to hunt down Eclipse, running afoul of Knuckles in the process, while Eclipse unleashes his plans for revenge.
- Spark of Life (#71-#74) Sheds light on the post-Super Genesis Wave origin of NICOLE, while introducing the concept of the Digital World and new characters Dr. Ellidy and Phage. Takes place between issues 271 and 272 of the main series.
- The Silver Age (#79-#82) A "prequel" arc detailing how Silver the Hedgehog began his current mission to close the Genesis Portals, and reveals the current state of Silver's Future in the post-SGW timeline.
- Eggman's Dozen (#83-#86) Dr. Eggman rallies his Egg Bosses together when Walter and Wendy Naugus take over Eggmanland.
- Shattered (#87-#90) Follows Knuckles on the remainder if his quest to restore the shattered Master Emerald, with the aid of Amy Rose.
- Case of the Pirate Princess (#91-#94) The Chaotix are hired by Echo the Dolphin to track down the missing Princess Undina. The final story arc of the series.
One Issue Stories
- Race for the Stars (#45) A tie-in to the game Sonic and All-Stars Racing: Transformed.
- Forged in Fire (#50) The second milestone issue. Revolves around a newly rebuilt Metal Sonic hunting down and having another battle with Shard. The ending of the story ties into Worlds Collide. This is a 48-page issue which also features a reprint of "Go Ahead, Mecha my Day" Parts 3 and 4 from Sonic the Hedgehog #25. This is the final issue of the series to take place in the original Pre-Super Genesis Wave Timeline.
- Fury (#75) The third milestone issue. See's Sonic racing Metal Sonic for a Chaos Emerald. But a Genesis Portal interferes, sending the two to a world filled with lava. Picks up from where Sonic the Hedgehog #272 left off, and leads directly into the Worlds Unite crossover.
Issues part of a multi-series arc
- Worlds Collide (#51-54) parts 2, 5, 8 and 11 of the first 12-part crossover between the Archie Sonic and Archie Mega Man comic series. This story bridges the Pre and Post-Super Genesis Wave continuities.
- Worlds Unite (#76-78) parts 1, 5 and 9 of the second 12-part crossover between the Archie Sonic and Archie Mega Man series', as well the worlds of Sonic Boom, Mega Man X and various other SEGA and Capcom franchises.
- Sonic Universe is the first Archie Sonic spin-off series to have reached a second milestone issue.
- Issue #50 of Sonic Universe was originally solicited as being an epilogue to the Sonic Underground storyline, but was later changed for unknown reasons.
- Issue 94, aside from being the final issue of the series, was also the last ever Archie Sonic publication released, and the only one released in 2017.