Sonic: Evolution of a Hero is the third Free Comic Book Day issue. Rather than containing a comic story, it contains a collection of data files covering the basics of the Archieverse up to around #198, as well as a couple of sneak peeks toward #200.
Sonic the Hedgehog speeds into action with a special Free Comic Book Day edition! In "Evolution of A Hero," you'll get a look back at the long-running hit comic series that has been thrilling fans for over 15 years! What's the connection between Sonic and the Freedom Fighters? Who are Shadow the Hedgehog and Knuckles the Echidna? What's the deal with that Robotnik guy, and what's going on in the series now? You might even get a special sneak-peek into the world of Sonic after the epic issue #200. Whether you're a new reader getting up to speed or a veteran enjoying a trip down memory lane, this is one issue you just can't miss! Fan-favorites Ian Flynn and Tracy Yardley! bring the fast-paced excitement to life.
- "Sonic of the Ages"
In this special Free Comic Book day edition, we take a look back at the history of the Sonic comic series. We learn the full story about Sonic and his friends and foes, plus Knuckles and Shadow. Also included is a cover gallery of every issue and spinoff title, and even a small sneak peak at what's in store after #200. Whether you're new to the world of Sonic, or just a long time fan willing to take a trip down memory lane, this is one book you cannot miss.
- This issue reveals Regina F. to be the Iron Queen.
- This cover mirrors the cover for Sonic Mini Series issue #0 and 1/4 where Robotnik chases Sonic in his Egg-O-Matic over a Bridge with both characters in the same pose (with Eggman using his opposite fist and Sonic's legs blur as he runs on this issue's cover).
- This is the only FCBD issue so far not to include a comic story of any kind, but rather a series of data files.
- The cover depicts several incarnations of Sonic in different game artwork, as well as the comic's incarnations. These are: a young Sonic (as he appears in the comics), classic Sega artwork style Sonic (the same one seen on the covers to the Sonic Archives), a version of Sonic wearing his SOAP grinding shoes from Sonic Adventure 2, Mecha Sonic, a Sonic in the artwork style of Sonic Battle, Super Sonic, and a Sonic in the art style of Sonic Riders. the cover also shows both designs of Dr. Robotnik/Eggman.
- This is the last Free Comic Book Day issue published in the first decade of the 2000's.
- The issue previews Sonic and Eggman's fight in StH: #200.
- The last page of StH: #200 is shown, though the coloring is different.