Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Sonic Comic Book Packs are a line of specially packaged editions of the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog titles released by Jazwares from 2009 to 2013 and by Tomy from 2016 onward. The packs are essentially certain comic issues packaged with two figures from the respective companies' Sonic the Hedgehog 3-inch line.
The line was launched in 2009, not long after Jazwares had acquired the rights to produce Sonic the Hedgehog merchandise, beginning with a specially packaged edition of #200, the first of which was advertised in Sonic #202. The figures packaged with the issue can sometimes be of characters prominent to the issue in question, with other instances being characters that do not even appear at all. The figures were from Jazwares existing 3-inch line, which only contained figures of the Sega video game characters, with no immediate plans to produce figures of Archie characters. Some figures were identical to their original single-pack versions, while some were introduced through the packs themselves before being repackaged as a single at a later date, or in some cases, even a variant of an existing figure. The line was initially exclusive to US Toys R Us stores, but this exclusive label was later lifted, allowing for distribution in other stores, both nationally and internationally.
Jazwares' contract to produce Sonic merchandise expired in 2013, causing the packs to cease production. The current rights holder, Tomy, began releasing their own comic packs in 2016, coinsiding with the Sonic franchises 25th anniversary.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #200 - packaged with Knuckles and a special clear-blue Sonic.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #207 - packaged first with Sonic and Amy, later versions replaced Amy with Metal Sonic.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #138 - packaged first with Vector and Espio, later versions replaced Vector with Knuckles.
- Sonic Universe #25 - packaged with special-paint editions of Silver and Shadow.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #226 - packaged with Sonic and Amy in their classic designs.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #229 - packaged with Sonic and Amy in their classic designs.
- Sonic Universe #1 - packaged first with Sonic and Amy in their classic designs, later versions where packaged with Sonic and Blaze.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #218 - packaged with special-paint editions of Silver and Shadow (same ones as SU#25 pack).
- Sonic & Knuckles: Mecha Madness- packaged with Sonic and Knuckles in their classic designs (the comic has been reduced to featuring the main "Mecha Madness" story only).
- Sonic the Hedgehog #25- packaged with Sonic and Tails in their classic designs.
- While some of the comics included in the packs remain mostly identical to their original releases (with the exception of a "Collectors Edition" logo appearing in place of the barcode), some have been completely gutted of their original advertisements that appeared between pages, with two advertisements for the Archie Sonic series and the companies other Sonic merchandise at the back.
- When the Tomy packs were revealed at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in 2016, the display showcased a prototype box with Sonic Universe #67 as the packaged comic. Whether such a pack will be officially released remains to be seen.