Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide Prelude is the seventh Free Comic Book Day issue (the second issue for Mega Man). The issue is a flip-book featuring partial reprints of StH#247 and MM#23, both of which are preludes to "When Worlds Collide".
It’s TWO free comic books in ONE! Just in time for the start of the epic Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man crossover event, “Worlds Collide,” comes a primer issue exclusively for Free Comic Book Day! Witness the journey these two epic heroes from both Sega and Capcom took to finally meet each other – Mega Man's journey chronicled on one side, and Sonic the Hedgehog's on the other! This is the must-have primer for the biggest comic book event of 2013 – as video game icons Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man meet for the very first time anywhere – featuring art from both Sonic and Mega Man comic book fame!
- See: StH #247
Mega Man Story
The story opens in Mega City, where the birthday celebration of Mega Man has been interrupted by an attack by Break Man (secretly Mega Man's estranged brother Blues, also known as Proto Man). Mega Man, aboard Rush, pursued the red figure across the city, before Rush was shot down by Break Man's fire. Crash-landing on top of a building, Mega Man quickly see's to his trusty companion, only to be shot square in the back. An irritated Mega Man informs Break Man that he's willing to fight if that's what he wants, but reasons to let him take care of dog first. Before even having an opportunity to respond, Mega Man's Robot Master brothers, Guts Man, Cut Man and Bomb Man, arrive on the scene to aide their brother. The trio managed to distract Break Man long enough for Mega Man tend to Rush's injuries, right before having him transported back to Light Labs for fuller repairs later on. Mega Man turned his attention back to the ensuing battle, to find that his brothers have been defeated by Break Man. Angry at how he's endangered the lives of innocent civilians, as well as his friends and family, there's no sense in holding back: Mega Man must fight!
Across the world, in the Lanfront Ruins of the Amazon Jungle, Dr. Wily is watching the battle unfolding via Mega City's newsfeed: and he's loving it. But now it's time for the next order of business, Wily heads through the Interdimensional Gateway to proceed with his new plan alongside his new partner...
Back in Mega City, Break Man hits Mega Man with a huge blast from his blaster, causing major damage to the hero. Staring up at Break Man, Mega Man proclaims that man in red has won. He says he can break him, but he pleads with him not to break his I.C. chip (the source of a robots personality), as it would break his fathers heart. This triggers Break Man to remember his early days as Blues, where his father Dr. Light cared for him. Moved by Mega Man's words, Break Man silently relinquishes his weapon and attempts to flee. This enrages Mega Man however, and he leaps up and pulls Break Man to the floor by his scarf. He's twigged that this mysterious figure is not just a random sniper joe, and, determined that he won't be getting away after all of the trouble he's caused, he attempts to remove his helmet. But before he can, Mega Man finds his vision fading to white: the Genesis Wave has been activated...
- For further reading on this story as it was originally printed in Mega Man #23, see Mega Man Monthly.
Mega Man finds his Robot Master brothers defeated
- Mega Man: "Guys! What happened?!"
- Break Man: "I am Break Man. I broke them."
Bomb Mans arms have been accidentally chopped off by Cut Man
- Bomb Man: "C'mon! I need you online!"
- Cut Man: "Heh heh ...so you're short-handed now that you've been disarmed?"
- Bomb Man: "GET UP, OR I'LL BOOT YOU OFF THE ROOF!"
- Dr. Wily: "Hahaha! Unhappy birthday, Mega Brat! And while you're busy there... I'm off to enact my best plan ever with the help of my new best friend, HA HA HA!"
- Mega Man: "You win...just...just don't hit my I.C. chip. You can break me, just...just don't break my dad's heart."
- Mega Man's world is enveloped by the second Genesis Wave.
- This is the final FCBD issue to take place in the original pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.
- The design of the covers are based on the character select screen from Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters, the style of the character sprites also mimic that of the game. The poses of Sonic and Tails' sprites are taken from the Game Boy Advance game, Sonic Battle.
- Both stories begin on what was originally the twelth page of their respective issues. While the contents originally seen in #247 is, for the most part, identical to the original printing, a notable difference is an added introductory sentence in the corner of the "first" page. It's interesting to note that the panel it appears above had to be cropped slightly from the top. As a result, the first two lines of dialogue between Sonic and Silver where omitted due to lack of space (and possibly due to lack of general context, considering the nature of how the story begins halfway).
- Both stories are left unnamed in this issue. The titles can be found in their respective issues of origin. The title of Mega Man's story (as printed in #23 of his series) is "For the Bot Who Has Everything".
The Mega Man story, which itself is a reprint of the last 10 pages of "For the 'Bot Who Has Everything" (MM#23), is reprinted (as it appears in this issue) in Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide: The Complete Epic.
- "For the 'Bot Who Has Everything" occurs parallel to "At All Costs: Part 1" (StH#247) and leads into "Worlds Collide: Part 1" (MM#24).
- Sonic/Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2013 at Mega Man Knowledge Base
- Sonic/Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2013 at Sonic News Network