Sonic Universe is an ongoing comic title set within the Archieverse, designed to expand the horizon of the fictional universe. In began its run February 25th, 2009 and is subsequently released monthly by Archie Comics along with its counterpart title Sonic the Hedgehog. The objective of the series is to expand upon the Archieverse continuity and focus on other characters besides Sonic the Hedgehog, including Shadow and Knuckles. Typically the series consists of four-issue long story arcs, though single-issue stories have also appeared. Four issues were also incorporated into the Worlds Collide crossover event, featuring a crossover between the Sonic the Hedgehog comics and Mega Man. Sonic Universe is also the longest running spinoff of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic, surpassing the previous record held by the Knuckles the Echidna series, as well as the longest running Archie Sonic publication overall, a record previously held by Sonic X.
How to reference in articles:
- (SU: #1)
- The Shadow Saga (#1-4) Focuses on Shadow the Hedgehog and his missions with the Guardian Units of the Nation, including the formation of Team Dark.
- Mobius: 30 Years Later (#5-8) Continues five years after the coup d'etat in the Mobius: X Years Later storyline, and features the formation of the Future Freedom Fighters.
- Knuckles: The Return (#9-12) Focuses on Knuckles and the Chaotix's adventure in combating Dr. Finitevus and the Platypus Dark Egg Legion in Downunda.
- Journey to the East (#13-16) Focuses on Sonic, Tails, Monkey Khan, and Sally Acorn in their fight against the clans of the Iron Dominion.
- The Tails Adventure (#17-20) Focuses on Tails, Antoine, and Bunnie in an adaption of the solo game, "Tails' Adventure", in which they come up against the Battle Bird Armada.
- Treasure Team Tango (#21-24) Details Blaze the Cat's search for the Sol Emeralds on Mobius with the aid of Team Rose.
- The Silver Saga (#25-28) The first Milestone arc. Focuses on Silver the Hedgehog in his battle to save Jani-Ca's world from Dark Enerjak.
- Scourge: Lock Down (#29-32) Details Scourge's attempt to reassemble the Destructix and bust out of Zone Jail .
- Babylon Rising (#33-36) Details The Babylon Rogues' search for their ancestral homeland of Babylon Garden and their attack on Mobotropolis alongside the Battle Bird Armada.
- Scrambled (#37-40) Focuses on Eggman hunting down Snively who has fled the Empire, leading to Eurish and the Dragon Kingdom..
- Secret Freedom (#41-44) Focuses on Silver and the Secret Freedom Fighters who are attempting to take down Ixis Naugus.
- Chaotix Quest (#46-49) Focuses on the Chaotix as they track down Mighty and Ray the Flying Squirrel, leading them to Mercia and then Sand Blast City.
- Pirate Plunder Panic (#55-58) A story taking place in the Sol Zone (more info to come)
One Issue Stories
- Race for the Stars (#45) An adaptation of the game Sonic and All-Stars Racing: Transformed.
- Forged in Fire (#50) The second milestone issue. Revolves around a newly rebuilt Metal Sonic hunting down and having another battle with Shard. A 48-page issue which also features a reprinted selection from Sonic the Hedgehog #25.
Issues part of a multi-series arc
- Worlds Collide (#51-54) parts 2, 5, 8 and 11 of a 12-part crossover between the Archie Sonic and Archie Mega Man comic series.
- Sonic Universe is the first Archie Sonic spin-off series to have more than one landmark issue.
- Issue #50 of Sonic Universe was originally solicited as being an epilogue to the Sonic Underground storyline, but was later changed for unknown reasons.