Neuro-Immuno Deficiency Syndrome, (also known as NIDS, Neuro-Immune Deficiency Syndrome and N.I.D.S.), is a rare, incurable and potentially fatal disease.
Professor Gerald Robotnik set out to find a cure for the disease after his granddaughter Maria developed it, and used the United Federation's Project Shadow as a means of doing research. Unfortunately, the termination of the project by the government meant that no cure was ever developed. Others have tried to cure N.I.D.S. in recent years; Dr. Ivo Kintobor of Moebius has successfully made a medical suit that stops the disease from progressing, but forces the victim to stay in the suit. (StH: #98, #171, #193)
Known Medical Treatments
- Omega Care Unit (Prevents the disease from progressing)
- Project: Shadow (Experimental cure that was never put to use)
- It is assumed that NIDS is similar to AIDS.
- In its depictions, it is implied that NIDS results in a compromised immune system, as Maria and Buns were both kept in sterile environments (the ARK and Omega Care Unit respectively).
- Given the condition of Buns Rabbot, it is possible that Bunnie Rabbot would have developed NIDS if not for her partial Roboticization; the same condition may also have necessitated the need for the replacement of the limbs of her possible future children Jacque D'Coolette and Belle D'Coolette.