Walter Naugus is a powerful magician who seeks to become the ruler of the Kingdom of Acorn. During his time as King Acorn's Royal Wizard, he was banished to the Special Zone along with the king and was trapped for years until he eventually managed to escape. After escaping from the zone, Naugus became an immediate enemy of Sonic the Hedgehog, who has regularly thwarted his plans to take over the Kingdom of Acorn. He has also maintained an antagonism with Dr. Eggman, who banished him to the Special Zone in the first place.
Naugus served as royal wizard to King Acorn at the time when Princess Sally was a young child. However, his ambition led him to seek conqeust of the kingdom, and he formed an alliance with renegade G.U.N. scientists Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik and Dr. Julian Snively. The trio worked together in an effort to overthrow the kingdom by convincing the king that the United Federation intended to invade. Eggman's successes proved detrimental to his partner, as both Naugus and his former monarch were imprisoned in the Special Zone by the villainous doctor. He eventually escaped and, teaming up with his twin sister Wendy, ambushed both Eggman and Sonic the Hedgehog at the Egg Storm Chamber. Much later, Naugus sought to take over the Kingdom of Acorn for himself. However, his attempts to do so hit a snag when Dr. Eggman set off the very first Genesis Wave, the effects of which stripped him of his powers. (FCDS: #8; SSD: #12, SU: #83, StH: #252)
Bereft of Powers
- From a readers perspective, this picks up from where the original pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity left off
As a result of being stripped of his powers, Naugus was forced to steal Eggman's technology to enforce his reign, which also led to the imprisonment of King Acorn. Capturing the computer bound NICOLE, Naugus ordered her to create a Super Ring with which he could restore his magic, despite her doubts as to her chances for success. Naugus' situation grew worse as the Tails Doll arrived in the city to take revenge for his thefts, swiftly followed by a returning Sonic and Tails. Naugus attempted to force NICOLE to finish her work, but upon contact with her computer form, his mind was flooded with memories from an alternate timeline. Horrified, he fled the castle, running right past Sonic and Tails as he made his way out of the city. During the Shattered World Crisis that followed, he apparently obtained a shard of the Master Emerald that restored at least some of his powers, and joined forces with his twin sister Wendy Naugus and her Witchcarters, and the pair of Trolls proceeded to invade Eggman's new facility of Eggmanland. (StH: #251, #252, #276)
Eggman, accompanied by Metal Sonic, eventually arrived the scene to investigate the conquered Eggmanland. After a brief clash with the Witchcarters, the Naugus twins appeared on the scene and Walter revealed at by using Master Emerald Shards he was to restore some of his power. Soon both twins were able to subdue both Eggman and Metal Sonic, forcing Eggman to fee. The Naugus' occupation of Eggman's facility would not go unchallenged long, as he assembled his entire complement of Egg Bosses to retake Eggmanland. He is Later seen at the center of Eggmanland in front of the Dark Gaia energy refinery, believing it's energy belonged to Ixis. Only to be mocked and informed by his sister that it was of the Dark Gaia. But before he could use the energy to help restore his power he was interrupted by an ambush set up by Eggman and his Egg bosses. During the ensuing battle, Naugus sent Crystal Sonic (a crystallized Metal Sonic) to kill Eggman. But the doctor survived using his Hard-Light Armor, which he then used to beat Naugus into submission. Afterwards, Eggman prepared to kill Naugus with a powerful energy beam. However, Naugus used Crystal Sonic as a shield, blocking the blast and used the commotion as a distraction to flee. Naugus retreated to a hidden part of the Mystic Cave Zone where he curses Eggman's name and expresses angry towards Wendy, who became Eggman's newest Egg Boss. However, while his plans for Eggmanland failed, Naugus knew of other ways to restore his power as he began draining energy from a large gem resembling the Master Emerald. (SU: #83, #85, #86)
Eventually, Naugus' location was discovered by Knuckles, Amy, and Team Dark who were all on the hunt for the alien Eclipse and the remaining Master Emerald Shards. Naugus hid in the shadows and quickly formed a plan after overhearing Rouge mention that Knuckles was the last of his kind. Naugus followed Omega and asked if he was affiliated with Eggman, to which Omega aggressively denied before Naugus crystallized him. Under his control, Walter commanded Omega to seek and destroy Rouge and Amy while he went after Knuckles and Shadow. Naugus then assumed the form of an echidna and confronted the pair, calming his name was Nixus and that he was also searching for the emerald shards so he can get to Angel Island. Knuckles was thrilled to met another echidna while Shadow questioned the convenience of his arrival and situation. Rouge then contacted Shadow and told him that she and Amy were under attack and needed assistance. However "Nixus" didn't want to risk damaging the shards by going into combat. Knuckles agreed with Nixus and decided to go with him to a safe location to restore the Master Emerald while Shadow goes to help the others. However, Upon arriving in an empty chamber, Nixus double-crossed Knuckles, took his shards and crystallized the echidna. Nixus then revealed himself as Naugus and tried to assemble the Master Emerald but to no avail. He then came up with the idea of controlling Knuckles' mind so that the latter could tell him how to fix the Master Emerald. Instead, Knuckles broke out of the crystals he was trapped in and proceeded to attack Naugus. The wizard quickly reminded Knuckles that his comrades were still in danger which momentarily distracted the echidna and allowed Naugus to knock him out of the chamber. Walter then quickly sealed the entrance with crystals. (SU: #87, #88)
Naugus possesses Crystalmancy, which allows him to encase his opponents in crystal and control any crystallized robots within range. Walter can also shapeshift and control the minds of anyone with a weak will or weak mind. (SU: #85)
Naugus is arrogant and power-hungry, and willing to go to great lengths to obtain what he wants. He also dislikes being called "Wally," though the reason behind this is unknown.
Walter Naugus appears as a tall, gruesome troll with bat-like ears, a horn emerging from his forehead, a long white beard, a gloved lobster-like claw in place of a left hand, and a thick tail. Originally, he wore a purple suit with a long black cape, glove on his right hand, belt, and boots. He later adopted a new wardrobe that included a purple tunic, purple pants, gray gloves and boots, a cape, and a stereotypical wizard/witch hat with a large brim and a point that falls to one side.
- Naugus is one of three SatAM characters to have their names added to/changed since the Worlds Collide crossover. The other characters are Muttski-now Ben "The Mutt" Muttski-and Snively Robotnik-now Julian Snively.
- Naugus' new name of "Walter" and disdained nickname "Wally" are intended to be alliterative with relatives of Naugus' in the new reality, which was later revealed to be Wendy. The name is not intended to be a tribute to the late Walter "Wally" Marsh, an actor who provided additional voices for Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Furthermore, there was no intended connection between Naugus' new identity and Walter "Wally" West, one of the many characters to adopt the DC Comics superhero identity of the Flash; many fans believed this due to the Flash's heavy involvement in DC's "The New 52" and the Sonic reboot beginning with issue #252.
- Naugus was one of several characters featured in a "classic cartoon" depiction art gallery in Sonic Super Special Magazine Issue 11, in which he was depicted in black and white as a magician with a wand and top hat.
- Whereas the original continuity featured Naugus as a hideous amalgamation of three different Mobians, the new continuity explains his appearance as being part of the Troll race. This was hinted at in SU #70, and later confirmed by Ian Flynn. Flynn also revealed that, contrary to what was previously believed, the term "Ixis" was applied to Naugus in the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon production materials, and not invented by Ken Penders. As such, it is still useable by the comics, which as of Sonic Universe #85, it has now been. ()
- Unlike in the original continuity, Naugus now has a tail. This was an aspect carried from how he appeared in the SatAM cartoon, a design trait that was initially discarded for his comic debut for unknown reasons.
- Walter Naugus at Sonic News Network