Meropis is an underwater city first discovered by the Knothole Freedom Fighters during The Shattered World Crisis. Ruled over by King Puff and Queen Angelica, it was also protected by the Meropis City Guard, whose leadership included Captain Striker the Mantis Shrimp. The apparent capital of the Great Blue Realm, the city is under constant threat from Egg Boss Akhlut of Dr. Eggman's Egg Army. It is also adjacent to the Eusebes Shrine, which is centered in a Chao Garden and serves to help Chao reincarnate as well as providing a protective shield around the city that is maintained by the shrine's priestess.
At some point in the history of Meropis, the Chao Aquarius taught the people sacred rites such as the Mystic Melody that provided protection to the city from outsiders. Immensely grateful for this gift, the people of Meropis named Aquarius as patron of the Eusebes Shrine and established the office of priestess. Individuals chosen for this role had the responsibility of maintaining Meropis' protective shield and caring for the Chao who inhabited the shrine. (StH: #260, #261)
Waves of Change
During the Shattered World Crisis, Meropis was plagued by a number of problems, from pollution to hordes of monsters that sought to penetrate the city's defenses. In the midst of this crisis, Aquarius entered a cocoon state but failed to emerge, a situation that was blamed on the active priestess Coral the Betta. Because of this, Coral was temporarily stripped of her office, with the emotional turmoil ensuing leading to the city's shield falling. Fortunately, Coral's newfound friends-Sonic the Hedgehog, Rotor Walrus, and Amy Rose of the Knothole Freedom Fighters-helped defend the city from the attacking creatures, and were bolstered by the arrival of Tikal and Chaos, who helped Aquarius emerge from her cocoon in a heightened state and restored the city's shield. Rotor was also able to determine that the pollution plaguing the city came from Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik's Egg Carriers, allowing the citizens to work on cleaning up their metropolis. (StH: #260, #261, #262, #263)
Along with HEXAeco and MeteorTech, Meropis' Tourism Board apparently sponsored the Chaos Emerald Championship, though commentator Wes Weasely was unfamiliar with the city's location. The city placed bets on who would win the fights, with Razor winning against Captain Striker and King Puff, but losing to Pearly. (StH: #269, #270)
- King Puff and Queen Angelica (rulers)
- Meropis City Guard
- Coral the Betta (Eusebes Shrine Priestess)
- Pearly the Manta Ray (Priestess-in-training)
- Razor the Shark (Eusebes Shrine Protector)
- Meropis is the first instance of an actual community of any kind in the oceans in the comics. It's inhabitants are also the first case of ocean-dwelling Mobians anthropomorphized to the point of being humanoid; previously, aquatic Mobians have typically resembled their Earth counterparts but possessed the power of speech. Aquatic Mobians in Sonic the Comic resembled their real-world counterparts, but could walk on two fins/flippers/arms/etc and possessed the power of speech, while those in AoSTH were basically the Mobian equivalent of Merpeople.