- For information on an alternate version of Mephiles, see Mephiles (Zone Jail).
A Plot to Rule Time
Mephiles was a smokey spirit born during an experiment when Solaris, the god of time, light, and fire/the sun, was split into two halves: Mephiles, who consisted of Solaris' power and intelligence, and Iblis, who consisted of Solaris's fiery power and destructive nature. He was trapped within a device called the Sceptor of Darkness by Shadow the Hedgehog. Years later, Mephiles was released and stole Shadow's shape and abilities by merging with his shadow. Cruel and brilliant, he created a plan that spanned over two hundred years, brought him the seven Chaos Emeralds, saw the death of Sonic the Hedgehog and the release of Iblis, who was sealed within Princess Elise. With the power of the Chaos Emeralds, Mephiles rejoined Iblis and Solaris was reborn. His existence was ultimately erased when a resurrected Sonic and Elise traveled back in time to the days before Solaris was experimented upon and snuffed the tiny white flame. But of course, the unpredictable nature of time leaves open the possibility that Mephiles could return in some form. (CSE, VG: S06)
- Mephiles was first hinted to have existed in the Archieverse when Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) was originally confirmed to happen in the Archieverse in an Ask Ian thread on the Bumbleking Comics forums. Later, in The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, the plot details, along with Mephiles, were explained.
- Mephiles is the first and so far only Sonic character in any Sonic-related media to actually kill Sonic (not counting alternate versions of Sonic from different realities). However, these events were erased from history.
- Mephiles is one of the video-game Sonic characters who are off-limits, as confirmed by Ian Flynn.
- According to Ian Flynn on the Bumbleking forums, he believes that SEGA intended to imply that the Time Eater was leftover matter of Mephiles. As such, he stated that the Time Eater is an alternate state of Mephiles that "slipped through a crack in time". This could explain their purple aura and similar ability to travel through time. However, this has yet to be confirmed in-universe or by any material produced by Sega.