Knuckles Archives was a series of graphic novels published by Archie Comics, featuring the titular character, the Chaotix, the Dark Legion and the Brotherhood of Guardians. A counterpart of the Sonic Archives, it contained reprints of the Knuckles the Echidna comic series. The series consists of four volumes, with two further volumes left unreleased.
Knuckles Archives is Archie's new SEGA-licensed book series spun off of Archie's #1 best-selling Sonic Archives line. Knuckles serves as a companion piece to Sonic Archives--each references the other when stories intertwine. Published in the popular full-color digest format that has done so well in children's graphic novel sections, this super-sized 160-page title collects comic books Sonic's Friendly Nemesis: Knuckles #1-3 and Knuckles the Echidna #1-3. Knuckles is a highly popular character in the Sonic universe. In this volume, dive in as Knuckles investigates the mysteries of his origins and the wonders of the Floating Island and tries to solve the riddle of Archimedes! Brace for the harrowing adventure as Knuckles comes face to face with the dreaded Dark Legion and has his first encounter with Enerjak.
Hot off the heels of his successful debut graphic novel, Sonic's original "friendly nemesis" takes on all new challengers in the pulse-pounding Knuckles Archives 2! Dive in as Knuckles investigates the mysteries of his origins and the wonders of the Floating Island. Knuckles's past comes back to haunt him - and in a big way! New villains arrive as the Dingo Regime is thrust back into fray, while the old villains of the Dark Legion and Enerjak return to wreck havoc! Collects two complete story arcs from Knuckles the Echidna # 4-9!
The epic adventure of Sonic’s original “friendly nemesis" continues in the next exciting installment of the Knuckles Archives series! Knuckles and the Chaotix find themselves divided across the world! Knuckles is summoned by the mysterious Athair to help the weary Lost Tribe finish their age-old exodus. But when the Days of Fury threaten to tear Mobius apart, can Knuckles save them all? Collecting Knuckles the Echidna #10-15!
Knuckles, Sonic’s original “friendly nemesis” and the last guardian of the Floating Island, unlocks the secrets of the mysterious “Brotherhood” as he continues on his quest to uncover the truth of his past! Featuring the debut of a royal family member long thought dead, and tying directly into the top-selling Sonic Select series, Knuckles Archives 4 is full of the action, intrigue and adventure that Sonic and Knuckles fans have come to expect from the Archives series! Knuckles Archives Volume 4 collects issues #16-21 of the Knuckles the Echidna comic book.
- Knuckles Archives #1 (September 2011) - issues #1-#3 of Sonic's Friendly Nemesis: Knuckles and issues #1-#3 of Knuckles the Echidna
- Knuckles Archives #2 (April 2012) - issues #4-#9 of Knuckles the Echidna
- Knuckles Archives #3 (October 2012) - issues #10-#15 of Knuckles the Echidna
- Knuckles Archives #4 (April 2013) - issues #16-#21 of Knuckles the Echidna
- Knuckles Archives #5 (Cancelled) - issues #22-#27 of Knuckles the Echidna
- Knuckles Archives #6 (Cancelled) - issues #28-#32 of Knuckles the Echidna
- Knuckles Archives was first mentioned in Sonic Archives volume 14 on a footnote stating to refer to the Knuckles Archives for more information.
- Like the Sonic Archives, the first five covers are drawn in the same style as the classic Japanese SegaSonic artwork. The sixth and final cover, however, features 3D art by Rafa Knight.
- When one compares the remastered art to the original source, many changes can be seen at a second glance. Shading is more prominent and noticeable. Various small or nearly unnoticeable changes also coexist to uplift the quality. In Sonic Super Special Magazine #3, it is mentioned that the echidna citizens of Echidnaopolis have changed color schemes to match today's standards of echidna fur color in the series.
- Volume 2
- On an early cover for this volume, there was the statement that read "From the Pages of Sonic the Hedgehog." This was changed to match the statement from the first cover, "Sonic the Hedgehog Presents."
- Volume 3
- This volumes release was infamously delayed in a lot of stores, due to a cease and desist order being issued to Diamond Comics Distributors by the legal representatives of Ken Penders.
- On the cover, the rings that Knuckles and the Chaotix are holding are a reference to the game Knuckles Chaotix, in which the gameplay involved playing as two characters tethered together.
- Volumes 5 and 6
- These volumes were intended to be released during 2014 and 2015 respectively, however they ended up being delayed constantly. Currently, both volumes have been removed from listings altogether and have been missing ever since.
- These would have been the final two volumes had they been released, as they would've wrapped up the original 32-issue run of the Knuckles the Echidna series.
- Volume 6's cover art is the only one not to be drawn by Patrick Spaziante, instead being a 3D render by Rafa Knight. This would also be the only cover in the series to feature Knuckles in his modern design.
- Said cover art was later recycled and used as a pin-up page in Best of Sonic the Hedgehog: Ultimate Collection.