Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- For other articles associated with this title, see Guardian Units of the Nation (disambiguation).
The Guardian Units of the Nation, also known as G.U.N., is the military organization of the United Federation, encompassing army, navy, air force, and special forces branches. It is heavily involved in the war against Dr. Eggman's Eggman Empire, and in defending the Federation and the world from more unusual threats such as the Black Arms Invasion or Dark Gaia's Minions during the Shattered World Crisis.
Dealings with Shadow and Sonic
50 years prior to the present day, G.U.N. forces were responsible for the shutdown of Project Shadow and the resulting deaths of Maria Robotnik and her grandfather Professor Gerald. Prior to his death, however, Gerald prepared a means of revenge against G.U.N. and the rest of the world using his creation Shadow the Hedgehog and Space Colony ARK. When Shadow was reawakened by Gerald's grandson, Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, he was mistaken for Sonic the Hedgehog, leading G.U.N. to arrest the wrong Hedgehog. This resulted in clashes between G.U.N. forces and both Eggman and Sonic's allies, one of which resulted in the destruction of Prison Island. However, G.U.N.'s error was subsequently made clear when Super Sonic and Super Shadow worked together to save the planet from the plummeting ARK. Not much later, G.U.N. would take the forefront in fighting back the Black Arms Invasion, and were once again saved by Shadow when he confronted and defeated the Black Arms' leader, Black Doom. This resulted in Shadow being recruited as an agent of G.U.N., working alongside Rouge the Bat and Eggman's rebellious creation E-123 Omega. (SA, SA2, ShaH, S06)
At Home and in Space
Thanks to the efforts of the Avalon Freedom Fighters, a G.U.N. aircraft carrier was able to move in close enough to Avalon to deploy aerial forces that began harassing the Avalon Egg Army. However, this was brought to an end by Dr. Eggman, who single-handedly attacked and sank the carrier, seizing a plane as he did so in order to journey northward. In the midst of the Shattered World Crisis, GUN initiated Operation: Triage, in which they provided support in keeping the world in order. However, this resulted in air and ground forces spread thin, which allowed the Egg Army the opportunity to seize more territory on the planet. Fortunately, G.U.N. received some help from the Knothole Freedom Fighters, whose relief efforts in Station Square helped pave the way for the arrival of Amanda Tower in the Letter of Gabriel. Days later in Westopolis, however, GUN and local law enforcement came to stop an attack by mysterious monsters. (StH: #254, #256, #257, #260, #267, SU: #59, SSSM: #10)
Meanwhile, GUN Commander Abraham Tower enlisted Team Dark and the Spider Troupe to invade the New Black Comet and set a detonator to nuke it, (the exact tactics directed by Dr. Julian Snively). Despite some complications, they were able to succeed in their mission. However, one of the Black Arms, Eclipse the Darkling, and new race named Dark Arms, managed to escape the explosion and landed on Angel Island. Having determined this, G.U.N. dispatched Team Dark with a Tele-Pod that allowed Snively to communicate with them to the island to locate and finish Eclipse and his charges. When it became evident that Eclipse intended to seize the Master Emerald, Snively ordered Team Dark to relocate it to a G.U.N. facility, something that Shadow agreed to but was thwarted in by Knuckles the Echidna. Eclipse subsequently managed to seize the Emerald, only for Knuckles to shatter it to keep it away from him and G.U.N. Eclipse managed to escape in a G.U.N. craft used by Team Dark to travel to the island, while G.U.N. forces later arrived to transport the remains of Eclipse's ship to a secure facility. (SU: #59, #60, #61, #62, #67, #68, #69, #70)
A G.U.N. unit later located the last of the seven Chaos Emeralds being sought by the Freedom Fighters and Dr. Eggman, and communicated word of their find to the Freedom Fighters. Unfortunately, the group was then attacked by Metal Sonic, who overpowered them despite their brave efforts to stop him. The Freedom Fighters arrived in time to provide help and contacted G.U.N. for other personnel to take care of the wounded. (SU: #75)
Weapons & Technology
- Robots/Piloted Mecha-G.U.N. has developed and utilizes numerous machine units that can operate independently, by remote, or with a pilot. These include:
- Giga Trooper - a humanoid exo-suit that allows its operator to battle foes of greater physical strength.
- Gun Hunter - a humanoid robot that can be equipped with various ranged weapons.
- Laser Hawk - aerial attack drones named for their signature laser weapon.
- Tele-Pod - a robot similar to the Laser Hawk that has been modified to serve as a two-way communicator.
- Aircraft-G.U.N. also has a substantial fleet of flying vehicles, from helicopters and jet fighters to long distance shuttles and massive warships such as the Letter of Gabriel.
- Motor Vehicles-G.U.N. has a number of motor vehicles for use on the ground, ranging from trucks to motorcycles, with jeeps notably falling in between.
- Firearms-G.U.N. soldiers and robots employ a number of different weapons, including conventional munitions and lasers.
- The origin of their name probably stems from the Japanese word for "army" which is simply "gun" or "guntai" and then words were made to fit with the acronym.