Shattered World Crisis
For an unknown amount of time, the Gaia Keys were safeguarded by a group of protectors who kept their charge a closely guarded secret. However, their identities were made known to Gregorios, keeper of the Gaia Gate, who likewise safeguarded this information. During the Shattered World Crisis, however, Gregorios chose to break silence and warn his colleagues after Metal Sonic attacked him looking for information on the temples. He also shared a list of those involved with the Knothole Freedom Fighters to enable them to gather the keys and thus access the temples and restore the world. (StH: #268 #272)
The currently known Gaia Key guardians consist of:
- Jari-Thure and Sarianna - Artika
- Lupe the Wolf - Northamer
- Ehsan - Midesta
- Gwek - Efrika
- Otto and Lucia - Eurish
- Zonshen - Yurashia
- Teanchai - Southern Oceans
- The name "Gaia Keys" comes from the game Sonic Unleashed, and thus is Tier 2 canon until/unless it is confirmed in the comics.
- With the exception of Lupe, all of the key guardians originate from Sonic Unleashed.
- Additionally, Lupe is the only guardian not to be a human.