Buzzbomber is a hornet-based badnik created by Dr. Ivo Robotnik and later by Dr. Eggman during the reset world created by the Genesis Wave. They were once among the primary fighting force, in addition to SWATbots.
Buzzbomber was first seen aiding Robotnik while he was trying to capture Sonic the Hedgehog with his giant checker ball. He gave sonic 5 seconds to before they would crush him. Sonic eventually got a ring from the Ring well and threw in back at him crushing his Egg Mobile. Robotnik retreated with Buzzbomber carrying him back to Robotropolis say that it was a rather "fat" order. Later activities included taking Princess Sally to a "meeting" with Robotnik, aiding Bat Brain in guarding a blimp, and informing Robotnik of Sonic being Roboticized, which later turned out to be false. (OSM: #1, #2, #3)
Buzzbomber swarms were planned to attack anyone that tried to flee from the Krudzu, which eventually was destroyed by a thunder storm, aid other badniks in attacking a concert hall, attack Antoine D'Coolette's balloon, getting mud dumped on them during a second assault, and ambush what they thought was a wedding between Sonic and Sally, until it was discovered that it was really a play. (StH: #1, #8, #10, #18)
One clumsy Buzzbomber accidentally enlarged a salamander into Universalamander, joined Orbinaut in using Tails as target practice, racing Antoine at the Olympics who was losing, but eventually won when Sonic confuses him with smoke, and attempting to sting Sonic and Sally at a toxic waste dump, which had them crash into a mountain, before ultimately winding up at the Robo-Hobo Jungle. (StH: #4, #5, #40)
Island of Misfit Badniks
Years later, Buzzbomber was seen at the Island of Misfit Badniks. He ended up being drenched after Sonic and Pseudo Sonic sank the island, but he turned out to be waterproof as he was functionally normal when he had fought the Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters in order to keep them from stopping Pseudo Sonic's enlargement. Under Caterkiller's command, he was part of the last wave of fighters. Unfortunately, his stinger couldn't pierce Bivalve's shell, and was knocked away by Pseudo Sonic's arm. Big Fluke then crushed all of the robots and the island into a cube. (StH: #170, #185)
Appearing During Genesis
Buzzbomber reappeared in Marble Zone during the events of Genesis, but with a new design by Dr. Eggman. This design was actually the same as its game counterpart, unlike the earlier Buzzbomber models. It was first seen being reprogrammed and repaired by Boomer after Sonic destroyed a bunch of Badniks. In order for it to work, it needed an animal inside of it, so Sally asked a nearby Flicky, and it agreed to help. Sonic and the Buzzbomber then started destroying other Badniks, including more Buzzbombers and a Caterkiller, but Sally, Boomer, and Antoine got left behind and stranded on a small piece of land sinking in lava. Sonic and the Buzzbomber went back to rescue them, and Sonic carried Sally while both Antoine and Boomer held onto the Buzzbomer. After saving them, Dr. Eggman introduced himself to them, and a fight ensued between him and Sonic. Before Dr. Eggman could hit Sonic with a fireball, Buzzbomber attacked Dr. Eggman, who, in turn, destroyed the Badnik while calling it a traitor. It is unknown if the Badnik was in control or if the Flicky was, but Sally called the Flicky very brave followed by Sonic telling her to tell the Flicky that he owed it one. (StH: #226)
Buzzbomber is capable of flight, and can shoot at foes with its stinger. The stinger itself is as sharp as a needle. Fortunately, they're weaker than most badniks (Tails crushed them with his tails once).
- Buzzbomber is based off a badnik (Beeton in Japan) from Sonic the Hedgehog, both Genesis and Game Gear versions. He flies around pausing only to shoot below. He appeared in Green Hill (Genesis and Game Gear) Bridge (Game Gear only) Marble and Spring Yard Zone (Genesis only) he also was seen in the bonus Green Hill Zone in Sonic Adventure 2. In the games, Buzzbomber was blue and had a goofy face. In the comic, he was yellow and more menacing. The comic design was also used in the cartoon Sonic the Hedgehog (the only badnik aside from Cluck to appear in Sonic SATAM) largely due to the fact that bees/wasps/hornets/dragonflies (see below) are not blue.
- The name of Buzzbomber's game counterpart is actually two words- Buzz Bomber.
- Sonic called Buzzbomber a mutant dragonfly in a dream once.
- E.V.E. engaged Sonic for the second time in the form of an advanced Buzzbomber. She was defeated then by flying into a cliff wall before she could stop in time while chasing Sonic.
- A Buzzbomber makes a cameo on the Evil Friends Forever cover of Archie Sonic Universe #53.