Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 97 was the ninety-seventh issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
- "My Secret Identity"
Sonic the Hedgehog has created a black costume in order to freely investigate and fight Eggman with little chance of being discovered and arrested by Geoffrey St. John.
At the castle, Nate is working on the message-holding robot Uncle Chuck sent and Geoffrey shot while Geoffrey, Sally, and others watch on. Parts of the message come clear as "Sword of Acorns—Restore Will—Robotnik has it" while the full message says that Robotnik doesn't have the sword—Arachnis does. Believing Eggman has the sword, Elias orders Geoffrey to prepare his team to recover the blade.
Sonic is sneaking around Knothole—he hasn't told his family or friends about his new identity—when he hears Geoffrey and his team talking. Geoffrey reasons that Eggman probably has the sword hidden in his base. Sonic, knowing the full message, takes it on himself to make a detour to protect Geoffrey and his team.
In Robotropolis, Eggman and Snively receive a record of Colin's galactic trip. They are left alone with one of Colin's scientists and pull out a device, joking it's "business as usual" from behind the scientist's back. Geoffrey and his team are caught on cameras. Sonic takes out the camera but it's too late and Geoffrey's team is cornered by robots. Sonic leaps down to help fight and Geoffrey surrenders just as he touches the ground. The group and Sonic are taken in handcuffs to prison. When asked by Geoffrey and his crew, Sonic says he's "The Sneak," a freedom fighter from Sandblast City, down on reconnaissance.
Each of them is taken in turns for interrogation. With Heavy and Bomb gone, Sonic tries to talk the group into escaping with him but Geoffrey won't leave his men behind. Heavy and Bomb return, destroying their guard and breaking the group out. As they escape, Eggman and Snively reveal that Heavy and Bomb were reprogrammed. Sonic rightly believes that Eggman was letting them go too easily but has to beat Geoffrey back home before he can get caught. He stashes away his disguise in a log but is captured by someone before he can leave.
- "To the Brink"
Turbo Tails has angered Chaos Knuckles by stopping him from fighting Merlin Prower. Knuckles beats Tails through a building and turns on Merlin and the spirit of Athair but Tails returns with his own attack. Tails tries to reason with Knuckles but the Echidna knocks him back with laser eyes. Tails uses his tails like a whip and holds Knuckles upside down by his feet. Knuckles attacks and begins to beat Tails into the ground. The Echidna hears the voice of Julie-Su calling him and teleports away.
Worried about Tails lack of super powers, Athair probes his mind and finds that Tails is innocent and doesn't accept himself to be the Chosen One. They decide to return him home as if nothing happened and think carefully on their next move against Chaos Knuckles.
- Elias Acorn sends the Royal Secret Service to retrieve the Sword of Acorns from Robotropolis.
- Sonic the Hedgehog goes as The Sneak to help them.
- Heavy and Bomb are reprogrammed as Sleeper Agent by Dr. Eggman.
- Tails fights Chaos Knuckles and is beaten. He is returned home by Athair and Merlin.
- While the rest of the Royal Secret Service are seen (not counting the roboticized Valdez) Wombat Stu is barely seen.
- In this issue, Hershey is only one who gets absolutely no dialogue, not counting Wombat Stu, who only says "ugh".
- The cover of this Issue was featured in Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition 2008, under "Longest-Running Comic Based on a Video Game".
- Sonic's secret identity is mentioned again by Espio in Sonic Universe #16.
- Sonic's line of "You da man now, hog!" is a nod to the internet meme YTMND.
- The first panels of the first story were drawn by Patrick Spaziante.