Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 85 was the eighty-fifth issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
- "The Big Payback"
Mourning the defeat of Perfect Chaos by Super Sonic and Knuckles, Dr. Eggman plans his latest revenge plot. Meanwhile, in Station Square, Mayor Bullyani holds a farewell celebration in honor of the Freedom Fighters, Big the Cat, and Nate Morgan. The celebration is suddenly soured when Silver Sonic II arrives on the scene, picking a fight with Sonic. Silver Sonic launches missiles at him, and Sonic assumes they're homing missiles and runs away from the city square. As the missiles follow him, Sonic realizes that Silver Sonic is only going to target him, making defending the citizens easier. He guides the missiles into a revolving door, causing them to blow up out of harm's way.
Back at the square, Tails and Big try to stop Silver Sonic, but are easily tossed aside. The rest of the Freedom Fighters prepare to fight it, but are nearly zapped by the robot's laser vision. Sonic returns to fight Silver Sonic and they both crash into an abandoned electronics shop. Cornered by Sonic, Silver Sonic destroys the support beams, causing the entire building to crumble on top of them. Dr. Eggman watches the fight on a monitor and celebrates as Silver Sonic II rises from the rubble.
The Freedom Fighters start to dig through the rubble, but realize that Sonic has burrowed a tunnel underground. Sonic resurfaces and grabs onto Silver Sonic as it flies through the city. Sally asks NICOLE to perform a scan of Silver Sonic, discovering that its power supply is infinite. Nate Morgan begins to think that reprogramming it could be the solution to their problem. Sonic continues to hold onto the robot as they soar through the sky. Silver Sonic tries to fire at Sonic, but ends up shooting off off its own foot, causing Sonic to fall. Tails grabs Sonic, but is knocked out by the foot after placing Sonic on top of a building. In anger, Sonic uses a spin attack on Silver Sonic, which knocks its head off.
The Freedom Fighters congratulate Sonic on his victory, but Sally is worried about leaving the city defenseless. Back at his base, Dr. Eggman reveals his plan to to use Silver Sonic's tracking device to find and repair the robot and then take control of the city. The Freedom Fighters say their goodbyes to Mayor Bullyani, Big, and Froggy, and head back to Knothole in the Freedom Fighter Special. On their way back, the ship crashes. Nate examines the wreckage and determines their ship was sabotaged, and Sonic and Tails head out on reconnaissance. Meanwhile, Dr. Eggman arrives in Station Square and tracks down Silver Sonic II. However, Silver Sonic tells Robotnik that he has been repaired and reprogrammed by Nate Morgan to protect Station Square and chases Eggman out of the city.
- "Home & Back"
Somewhere in the North Sea, Rotor's Bathysphere is beginning to sink. Rotor sends out a distress signal and ponders how he got here. Having heard from the Arctic Freedom Fighters that the Walrus Herd had regained its free will, Rotor headed to Walrus Island and spent his time bonding with his mother and his little brother, Skeeter. One morning the heard was suddenly in a trance once again.
With the heard ready to attack, Rotor fled to his bathysphere. Unfortunately, the herd attacked the bathysphere, causing it to sink. Rotor breaks out of the bathysphere just before it explodes and falls unconscious underwater. He wakes up at the Arctic Freedom Fighters base, where Guntiver, Flip, Sealia, Augustus and Erma are waiting for him to recover. Guntiver, regretfully, tells Rotor that Robotnik has returned.
Sonic and the editor are finishing up lunch when Sonic suddenly starts dramatically complaining about a fierce pain in his wrist. As Sonic tumbles to the floor melodramatically, the editor tells him he'll pay the bill. After the bill is paid, he asks Sonic how much it costs to learn from the "William Shatner School of Overacting" and Sonic takes a bow. Written by Mike Gallgher, pencils by Dave Manak, inks by Jim Amash.
- Silver Sonic II: "Heads-up-Sonic. The-Eggman-has-a-score-to-settle-with-you-and-I-am-just-the-hedgehog-to-do-it."
- Sonic: "Are you serious, dude?!"
- Silver Sonic II: "Way-past."
- Eggman sends Silver Sonic II to defeat Sonic.
- Silver Sonic II is defeated and reprogrammed as Station Square's guardian.
- Big the Cat and Froggy head back to the Mysterious Cat Country.
- Rotor returns to Walrus Island to reunite with his family. However, Dr. Eggman hypnotizes the Walrus Herd into being his slaves.
- This issue's cover was made into a desktop background available for download on Archie's website.
- Story One is actually titled "The Big Payback - Chapter One", but "Chapter Two" does not exist.
- This is the only issue Diamond Rose Studios has worked on.
- Rotor previously went to Walrus Island and discovered the herd's enslavement to Robotnik Prime in issues #31 and #32.
References & Cameos
- The fact that Silver Sonic II shows up after the Sonic Adventure adaptation may be a nod to an easter egg in the game, where a Sonic robot that resembles Silver Sonic II can be seen inside a large tube in the Final Egg.
- On the cover, two lifebars are shown with Silver Sonic losing health, possibly a reference to the arcade game Sonic the Fighters.
This issue has been reprinted in the following places:
- Sonic Archives Vol. 23