Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 74 was the seventy-fourth issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
- "Don't Call It A Comeback!"
In the throne room of Castle Acorn, Sonic sadly reveals that Knothole is gone. King Max demands Sonic explain himself, and Sonic tells everyone that all of the Robians have disappeared from Knothole Village. Sally, Elias, Nate Morgan, Bunnie, Tails, Antoine and Amy all shocked. Sonic blames the satellites around Mobius for their disappearances. King Max orders Sonic to keep calm, but Sonic yells that he can't keep calm and storms out of the castle. Sally runs after him and asks him to listen to her father, but Sonic tells her that he refuses to listen to him ever again.
On the outskirts of Mobotropolis, Sonic is followed by Nate Morgan and the Freedom Fighters. Nate shows them a space shuttle he repaired and a bundle of Power Rings to power the machine. He warns them that they may not be enough to reach the satellites, so Sonic whistles, summoning Dulcy to help. Sonic tells Amy to stay behind with Nate. He begins to tell Sally to stay behind with her father, but Sally refuses. Nate stays behind with Amy as Dulcy lifts the space shuttle into the atmosphere. The Freedom Fighters, wearing spacesuits, exit the shuttle and head inside the eighth satellite. They take off their helmets after NICOLE tells them the satellite has artificial gravity and an abundance of breathable oxygen. The group is suddenly surrounded by a number of strange SWATbots, but easily destroys them.
The Freedom Fighters are then surrounded by even bigger SWATbots when Doctor Robotnik reveals himself to the group, explaining that the robots are his Shadow-Bots. Sonic, surprised that Robotnik is still alive, demands to know what happened to the Robians. Robotnik gloats by asking him if his parents taught him better manners. Sonic charges Robotnik, but is easily slapped aside. Bunnie launches a punch to Robotnik, revealing a factory where the captured Robians are under his control, working for him. Sonic, in rage, knocks himself and Robotnik off the scaffolding and into the factory. Sonic and Robotnik fight on a conveyor belt heading towards corrosive chemical spray. Sonic jumps off the belt in time, but Robotnik's cape is stuck, leaving him at mercy of the corrosive gas. Sonic, Bunnie, Sally and Antoine look on in horror as the gas melts away the doctor's disguise. Sonic realizes that their enemy wasn't Dr. Robotnik at all, trailing off before revealing his name.
- Tales of the Great War: Part Three - "Enter...Robotnik"
While watching Dulcy lift the space shuttle up to the sky, Amy can't believe that Uncle Chuck has gone missing. She remembers when they were in the library the previous day.
Uncle Chuck revealed to Tails, Amy and Jeremiah that he and Jules rescued Julian Kintobor, the man who would become Dr. Robotnik, before the Great War. Despite the protests of General D'Coolette, King Max accepted Julian into their kingdom, reasoning he refused to make the same mistake he made with Nate Morgan. Kodos and Julian soon met, discussing that they should become a team and take the kingdom for themselves. Kodos revealed his private weaponry and a portal to the Zone of Silence, only to be thrown into the Zone by Julian. Julian told King Max about Kodos' disappearance, neglecting to tell him that he was responsible, and convinced Max to wage war with the Overlanders.
Pinup Pages/Activity Pages
- Pro Art Pinup
Pinup page of Knuckles, Sonic, and Geoffrey St. John preparing to ensnare a group of Robians in a net. Presented in black-and-white as a coloring page. Pencils by Gordon Purcell, inks by Andrew Pepoy.
The editor convinces Tails to try out a redesign, like Sonic's recent new look (StH #71). He equips him with a pair of "tail fins", but Tails isn't thrilled with the idea. Written by Mike Gallagher, pencils by Dave Manak, inks by Jim Amash.
- Sonic: "They're toast and so are you if you don't tell me what's happened to my family and the other roboticized Mobians, Ro "butt" nik!"
- Robotnik: "Come now hedgehog...Can't you at least take a moment to welcome me back from the dead? How rude! Didn't your parents teach you better manners?"
- Sonic: "Why, you lousy--!"
- Sonic disobeys King Max's orders and decides to personally investigate the mysterious satellites.
- The Freedom Fighters decide to help Sonic. Using a space shuttle, Dulcy helps them travel into space.
- The Freedom Fighters enter the ROBOTNIK ORBITAL PLATFORM and discover that Dr. Robotnik is alive.
- The missing Robians are revealed to have been transported to the space station and forced to work.
- Sonic and "Robotnik" fight briefly before corrosive gas eats away the villain's Robotnik disguise.
Cameos & References
- The title of the first story is a reference to LL Cool J's song, Mama Said Knock You Out.
This issue has been reprinted in the following places:
- Sonic Archives Vol. 19