Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 71 was the seventy-first issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
- "Tales Of The Great War - In The Beginning" - Prelude
- "Retro Activity"
This story is told in reverse order. At Knothole village this very second... Sonic arrives with green eyes and shoes with buckles on. Sally still not understanding how the Nate Morgan's Super Emerald did this to Sonic, Sonic explains to her one more time.
Twenty minutes earlier... the energy that engulfed Knothole has vanished. In Mobotropolis, the Freedom Fighters and Nate Morgan celebrate Sonic's victory. Nate explains that the Super Emerald heightened Sonic's speed so the beam would go away from Knothole and save the world. At the same time, Sally, Bernie, Jules and Uncle Chuck managed to survive with Knothole no longer three hours ahead of time. Sally knowing that Sonic was successful wonders where he is. Sonic appears heading to the area, with buckles on his shoes.
Forty minutes earlier... Amy, Bunnie, Rotor, Antoine and Tails cheer for Sonic. Sonic wearing googles, a red suit and with the Super Emerald strapped to his back prepares to run, to save his family and Sally in Knothole. Sonic running faster than ever before, transforms into Super Sonic. Heading through Deerwood Forest going faster, Super Sonic then transforms to Ultra Sonic. Ultra Sonic runs past Mount Stormtop, and reaching the sand of the Great Desert, transforms from Ultra Sonic into Solar Sonic. New carnations of Sonic appear where Sonic is geographically; Polar Sonic in the Southern Tundra, while Eco Sonic runs through the Great Rainforest. Sonic running so fast around the world, attracts the energy beam to Sonic, rather than Knothole. Sonic is then blasted by the beam while being exposed to the Super Emerald energy.
Thirty minutes earlier... Sonic, King Max and Nate Morgan from the castle watch the energy beam, that's causing time in Knothole to go backwards. The energy beam is attracted to Knothole for being 3 hours in the future, and reversing its effects, but will destroy the fabric of time and the entire planet. Nate Morgan realising that they must draw the "Time Beam" away from Knothole, by using one of the few Super Emeralds left on the globe.
Ten minutes earlier... Sonic manages to break through the barrier around Knothole with his Super speed, but Sally is still trapped. Sonic tries to head back through the barrier, but the energy coming out of the Great Oak Slide is too much. Sonic runs back to Mobotropolis to warn then of what's happening.
Eight minutes earlier... Sally and Sonic arrive in Knothole, but are surrounded by a strange energy. They find Uncle Chuck, but are shocked that he's ignoring them and walking backwards. Sally then notices the leaves are falling up and that Bernie and Jules are talking in a foreign language. Sally realises that time is moving backwards, and Sonic is wondering what will happen if Knothole is moved past the three hour difference. Sally and Sonic try to get out through the Great Oak Slide, but they can't get out of the energy field. Sonic uses his knowledge from a comic book to vibrate his molecules so that he and Sally can pass through the barrier. Sonic vibrates at super speed, in an attempt to get outside Knothole.
Ten minutes earlier... Sonic and Sally rush down the Great Oak Slide that has become a tunnel of blinding light. Seven minutes earlier... Sally is shocked that Sonic disobeyed an order and went to West Robotropolis (STH 70), but Sonic wanted to do that to save Nate. Sally tells Sonic that her father was more proud than angry of what he did. Sonic distant from his parents recently, Sally says goodbye to Sonic as he's heading to Knothole, but both are caught by a blinding light through the Great Oak Slide.
Fifteen minutes earlier... King Max welcomes Nate back with open arms. Sonic thanks Elias too for helping him with Nate's rescue, but King Max yells at Elias for going on a dangerous mission and Sonic taggin along. Sally enters, and in rage King Max asks Sally to escort Sonic to Knothole. Fifty-nine minutes earlier... A mysterious satielle orbiting Mobius fires a energy beam in the area of Knothole village.
- A sixth satellite above Mobius activates, targeting Knothole Village with a time beam.
- Sonic and Sally enter Knothole to find everything strangely moving backward, they quickly try to escape for help but Sally is accidently left behind and trapped with the Robians.
- Sonic uses Nate Morgan's Super Emerald to race around the globe to draw the time beam away from Knothole.
- Sonic's appearance changes due to the effects of the Super Emerald.
- Knothole is returned to the normal time zone.
- Sonic's new look is based on his updated videogame design for Sonic Adventure (And all other games there after). This was written into the story after SEGA demanded that all Sonic media update Sonic with this design. Sonic has kept this in the comic series ever since.
- To correspond with the main story being told in reverse order, the entire issue had most of it's contents put in backwards order. The very first page started with Sonic Grams (Usually at the back of the comic), followed by the letters, fan art, and pin-up. Next came the back-up story, followed by the main story.
- A few cameos are featured in "Retro Activity" from Rob O' the Hedge in Deerwood Forest and Monkey Khan with Li Yuen and Li Moon at Mount Stormtop.