Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 65 was the sixty-fifth issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
- "The Naugus Trilogy: The Fellowship Of The Rings..." - Part Two
Sonic and Tails and Nate and Eddy the Yeti yell out Naugus's name in reaction to his arrival in Nate's castle through the fire element carried in Eddy's arm cannon. As Sonic and Tails attack Naugus, they are stopped dead in their tracks by Naugus's mastery of air to drain the oxygen molecules out of the air. Nate throws a holographic facsimile of a power ring out the window telling Naugus "fetch". The magic barrier around the castle would keep him from coming back in. Nate and Sonic shake hands Nate commenting that he was a little on the rash side to be Jules the Hedgehog, Sonic proudly says "I'm his one and only son! Sonic and Tails are curious about how Naugus knew Nate, being an Overlander and how he knew his dad Jules. Nate tells them the story he hadn't told in years:
Back in Old Megaopolis he was an unknown geophysician leading a research project to find an alternative power source to fossil fuels, one of the people on his team was Julian Kintobor (the future Robotnik) who sabotaged Nate's project to artificially develop the power rings. Julian told Nate to go ahead and test it "Seize the Day". This in turn caused a horrible explosion, for which Nate was under arrest and charged for along with other crimes. Julian's brother Colin, the minister of Justice banished Nate from Overland instead of the death penalty because no one was killed.
After a period of time in exile, a tired Nate was found by a group of Mobians in the forest led by King Frederick Acorn. Expecting to die at their hand, Nate was instead brought in by the sympathetic king and made one of his personal advisers and a surrogate uncle to his young son Prince Maximillian. Nate continued his research on power ring-smithing and successfully managed to complete the experiment, creating the fifth element "Power rings". This led Mobotropolis to expand out of the middle ages into a technologically advanced society. Nate was a science professor for the city school and recalled having Sonic's father and uncle as two of his finest students.
After Prince Max became king and married Alicia, Warlord Kodos and Ixis Naugus conspired to frame Nate for crimes against the kingdom to get rid of him for good. Kodos was extremely Xenophobic and hated Overlanders, and Naugus feared that Nate's Science would threaten his magic. Nate, Kodos and some other Mobians on an expedition in the forest and ran afoul of an Overlander military group and were led into battle. When King Max and Dr. Quack appeared on the scene and took everyone back to Mobotropolis to heal, Kodos lied and said Nate set them up to be attacked and Naugus backed his lies. Max, believing them was disappointed in his "uncle's" actions, but Nate decided to exile himself that time. Nate's records of ever being in Mobotropolis were erased and Sir Charles was given credit for the creation of the power rings. Nate accidentally fell through a hallow tree trunk into what is now Freedom HQ, and he dumped his power ring forger into a murky lake nearby. Nate's travels took him to the southern tundra of Mobius. Nate was so numbed by his experience and the cold he couldn't feel any pain. Nate met Eddy the Yeti buried in a rock slide and needed his help. Nate had decided to not to get involved with any other Mobian species, but he couldn't fight his conscience and rescued Eddy.
Sonic asks Nate why if Naugus got rid of him so long ago, why would he still be after him today. Nate takes them to a door to a deep cavern with a balcony, full of hundreds of floating power rings, and that immediately answered Sonic's question.
- "Tales Of The Freedom Fighters - The Library"
- The origins of Nate Morgan, Power Rings and the Lake of Rings are revealed
- Nate Morgan reveals a giant cache of rings in his castle
- Amy Rose discovers a hidden library in the reclaimed Robotropolis
- If Morgan's recollection is correct, than this would make Julian older than 48 because his betrayal and framing of Nate back in the Overland city took place when King Frederick Acorn was ruler of Mobotropolis and Max was only a child, and when Julian was rescued years later by Jules and Sir Charles (as seen in Sonic #50), he looked the same as he did all those years ago, or this could be a continuity error, but it was considered canon that Nate was Julian's colleague.
- Naugus was mistakenly referred to throughout this story and the issues surrounding it as "Ixis" and "Ixe", this wouldn't be cleared up until about 100 issues later that Ixis was not his name, but the title of the long lost magical order that his counterparts were practitioners of.
- The issue's title "The Fellowship of the Rings" is a reference to the first book of the Lord of The Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien, which shares the name.