Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This article contains information shared from Sonic News Network. It is highly recommended that at least some of this information be rewritten or changed overtime for the sake of originality and uniqueness. Please be sure to create an External Link to the SNN article the info was from to credit the original authors. Also note that some information on SNN articles may have originated from this wiki.
- Previous Issue ←—→ Next Issue
Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 288 is the two-hundred and eighty-eighth issue in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series published by Archie Comics.
SONIC is BACK in “Genesis of a Hero” Part One: It’s Sonic’s 25th Anniversary and we’re celebrating in style—retro-style that is! See Sonic in his first climactic show-down with Dr. Eggman, straight from the gameplay of the first Sonic the Hedgehog game! But what happens after the battle? And what new force arises once the dust has settled? It’s the story you know with a new twist! Featuring cover art by the legendary Patrick Spaziante and a “Best Buds” variant by the lovely Genevieve FT!
In Scrap Brain Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog has finally caught up with Dr. Eggman and Dr. Snively. He tries to get the doctors but runs into a sudden green force field, much to Snively's surprise that the trap actually worked. Sonic notes, however, that they had not won. Eggman admits that Sonic had set back his mining plans and Snively adds that they had not found one Chaos Emerald, that many Badniks were destroyed and they kept getting beaten by the hedgehog. He almost adds another point but keeps his mouth shut upon seeing Eggman's glare. Chuckling at the duo's dynamic, Sonic promises to destroy the rest of the Badniks once he stopped them. With this, Eggman jumps on a switch that makes the platform below Sonic's feet collapse. Helpless, Sonic falls to the bottom while Eggman and Snively walk back to base.
Sonic finds himself in another water-logged area with unnaturally purple colored water. He runs through and successfully makes it to the end. While monitoring him, Snively worries that Sonic would find the pipeline leading back to base. Eggman tells Snively that they would end Sonic once and for all using his engine pistons, though the latter noted that they made him nauseous.
Like Snively guessed, Sonic finds the pipeline leading back to the Final Zone. Upon entry, he is almost crushed by a piston controlled by Eggman. Snively also controls one and Sonic continues to dodge these effectively. At several points Sonic also has to dodge spark balls created from an electric generator. Eventually able to stay on his feet, Sonic counterattacks by hitting Eggman and Snively's pistons. He continues this until a computer voice alerts the area that the damage threshold was exceeded and the automatic shut-down was initiated. The Final Zone starts emitting sparks which irritates Eggman. A hatch-door then opens much to Sonic's satisfaction.
Eggman and Snively are seen trying to escape to Mobotropolis in their Egg Mobiles in hopes to have more success over there. Sonic runs in and hits Snively out of his Egg Mobile. This forces Snively to climb into Eggman's and the latter tells Sonic that it was not over. Accepting this, Sonic watches the doctors escape and runs back through all the Zones visited previously, only to stop in Green Hill Zone, where he had left the Tornado. Using it, Sonic departs South Island and heads to Westside Island.
Landing outside Knothole Village, Sonic is met by Miles "Tails" Prower, Sally Acorn, Antoine D'Coolette, Rotor the Walrus, Bunnie Rabbot and Walter Naugus, who has disguised himself as King Nigel Acorn. Sonic lets everyone know that he successfully defeated Eggman and Snively on South Island and he asks King Acorn how he arrived on Westside Island before him. King Acorn lets Sonic know that as South Island also belonged to the Kingdom of Acorn and that he found a transport after he was rescued. Rotor asks Sonic as to why Eggman was on South Island and Sonic replies saying that Eggman was looking for the Chaos Emeralds but with little success. Sonic also says that he found them instead but in the Special Zone. King Acorn asks Sonic if he was able to find all seven but Sonic tells him that he only found six, including the one the king gave him. The king regards this as unfortunate as he would need their power to reclaim the kingdom but Sally assures her father that they would win in the end.
With that, King Acorn leaves the children to their planning. Confused, Sonic asks what the king meant and Sally tells Sonic that they were going to take back Westside Island with Sonic. Rotor promises to help disarm any traps they found and Sally mentions that Nicole could help too as she could not ask Sonic to fight for the kingdom alone. Antoine pledges to follow Sally into battle and Tails eagerly shows interest in joining. Bunnie then gets up out of her wheelchair and is determined to free Westside Island while also getting back at Eggman for her new robotic limbs. Sonic then asks Sally if she had a plan to which she agreed and then Sonic energetically requests for the bunch of "Freedom Fighters" to get going. With this, the group of friends run off joining Sonic in a new adventure.
In the world of Waku Waku, a man named Ivan "Bad Egg" Robotnik is seen breaking the speed limit while tossing bombs onto the road. Officer Sonic notices this and yells at him to go slow.
- In the past, Sonic speeds through the Scrap Brain Zone and puts an end to Dr. Eggman's operations on South Island.
- It's revealed that:
- Sonic obtained six of the seven Chaos Emeralds during his adventure, all of which were located within the Special Zone.
- During this time, Sonic rescued King Nigel (who is acting strangely) from the Special Zone during his adventure.
- Tails, Sally, Rotor, Antoine and Bunnie decide to tag along with Sonic as he sets off to end Eggman's Westside Island operation, marking their first adventure together as the Knothole Freedom Fighters.
- Like the "Genesis" story arc (created to celebrate Sonic's 20th anniversary) this arc celebrates Sonic's 25th anniversary. Like the former arc, it uses the term "Genesis" as part of its title, in reference to the SEGA Genesis console, where the first ever Sonic game appeared.
- As of this issue, every zone from the original Sonic the Hedgehog game has appeared within the main Archieverse, with the introduction of the Spring Yard Zone.
- This issue confirms that South Island is always moving around, as it was originally stated to do in the original Sonic the Hedgehog game manuals.
Cameos and References
- The sidebar on the main cover resembles the border used on SEGA Genesis boxarts during the first half of its life.
- The main cover is an homage to the original Sonic games "Good Ending" cutscene.
- The Off-Panel strip is based upon the Japan-only arcade game Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car.
- "Genesis of a Hero" takes place in the past of the Post-Super Genesis Wave Timeline (before StH#252 and Worlds Collide) as well as before the events of Sonic: Mega Drive.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #288 at Sonic News Network