This article contains information shared from Sonic News Network. It is highly recommended that at least some of this information be rewritten or changed overtime for the sake of originality and uniqueness. Please be sure to create an External Link to the SNN article the info was from to credit the original authors. Also note that some information on SNN articles may have originated from this wiki.
Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 284 is the two-hundred eighty-fourth issue of Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
SONIC and friends get into some BIG TROUBLE in “Panic in the Sky” Part One: Sonic’s Freedom Fighters are finally ready to restore the planet! Unless, of course, someone does even more damage! Cue: the evil Dr. Eggman (of course)! He has a plan of his own and strikes first! The mad doctor launches a multi-pronged assault that will leave you speechless-everything has been building up to this moment! The final chapter to the Shattered World Saga begins here! Featuring the first of four EPIC connecting covers by mega-talent Dan Schoening and an “Evil Win” variant by the wonderful Lamar Wells!
- Panic in the Sky: Part One
Sonic and the team start planning their celebratory party, much to the concern of Sally as she thought the idea was premature. Sonic and Chip reassure her that there is no way they could be stopped due to Dr. Eggman not knowing their plan. Nicole detects an anomaly in her systems, finding out that some of the systems were shut down. She searches further to find Tails Doll linked to the Sky Patrol's systems. Phage emerges from this data link and attacks Nicole.
The attack shuts down the Sky Patrol's systems, just before it is rammed by the Battle Fortress, the flagship of the Battle Bird Armada. Battle Lord Kukku XV sends his troops to hit the Freedom Fighters with everything they've got. Sonic, Bunnie and Antoine go outside to deal with the attackers, while Tails and Rotor try to give Nicole support and get the systems back online. Sally, realizing Tails Doll leaked their plans to Eggman, runs off with Chip, fearing the Battle Bird Armada is after him.
Meanwhile, the Hooligans, the Witchcarters and Metal Sonic begin their attack on Mobotropolis. Metal Sonic, accompanied by some badniks, fights Gemerl and the Witchcarters fight the Royal Guard, allowing the Hooligans to bust into the castle. They are met by King Acorn who defends the vault, using his energy sword and shield. However, he gets put down by Bark and Nack orders Bean to blow up the vault to get the Chaos Emeralds and the Gaia Keys. The trio regroup with everyone outside and distract Gemerl long enough with the Witchcarters so that Metal Sonic can make off with the briefcase.
On the Sky Patrol, Sonic, Antoine and Bunnie are still fighting the Battle Bird Armada, noticing a lack of Speedy's presence and leadership. Unknown to them, Speedy and two soldiers infiltrated the ship to find Chip. Sally, having locked Chip in the brig for his safety, gets pummelled in defending him from Speedy. Chip, unable to bear the sight, flew out from the safety of the cell to aid her. Unfortunately, he is easily captured by Speedy, leaving Sally to fend for herself against two armada troops.
Tails and Rotor keep searching for Tails Doll with their RC Vehicles, Omochao and T-Pup. T-Pup finds the doll hiding in a vent and brings it to Rotor so that he could remove his link to the systems. Tails gives Nicole a Red Star Ring so that she can fight Phage as Overclocked Nicole. Overclocked Nicole manages to get some systems back online, though Phage makes it hard for Nicole to catch her. Sally orders either Tails or Rotor to go topside to help with the defenses and Sonic and the D'Coolettes to stop Speedy from taking Chip. However, the Battle Bird Armada planted explosives on the Sky Patrol's engines, and at that moment, Battle Kukku XV gives the order to detonate them.
As the crippled Sky Patrol begins plummeting towards the ground, Sonic, in desperation, tells Bunnie to throw him up to Speedy, despite the risk that he could be shot in the air. Meanwhile, Phage decides that Overclocked Nicole has been delayed long enough and disappears, leaving Nicole to realize they were being stalled. She also notices something is wrong with the Red Star Ring and tells Tails to disconnect it; Tails tries to do so, only to get burned by the ring as it rages a blue and yellow flame. Back outside, Sonic fails to reach Chip in time and falls back downwards, yelling his name as the Sky Partol below him descends towards lava.
- Seatbelts, everyone!
Aboard the Sky Patrol, Rotor informs his teammates via intercom that they're approaching some turbulance. Overhead signs informing the crew to put their seatbelts on appear, which Cream does. Once the turbulance arrives, everybody is sent flying by the disturbance, except for Cream and Cheese. Nicole, dressed as a flight attendant, appears informing everybody that the seatbelt sign is more than a polite suggestion.
- Dr. Eggman's forces enact his counter-plan against the Freedom Fighters:
- Tails Doll, Phage, and the Battle Fortress attack the Sky Patrol.
- The Hooligans and Witchcarters raid Mobotropolis.
- The Chaos Emeralds and Gaia Keys are stolen.
- Chip is kidnapped.
- Something happens to NICOLE while she's in her super form.
- The Sky Partol is blown out of the sky and falls towards a stream of lava below.
- Phage: Hello again, Nicole. It is time for you to expire. End. Die.
- Sonic: Now can I handle it real quick?
- Sally: At sonic speed, please!
- Sonic: Woo-ha! You've got it!
- Nack: You know, I've never pulled a job in Mobotropolis. For a nation's capital, it always seemed so...quaint. Something too pretty to mess with. But there's a first time for everything--am I right? Hahaha!
- Gemerl (to Metal Sonic): Oh hey! It's you! The original copycat with the identity crisis!
- Tails (about Tails Doll): I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Sonic gets Metal Sonic. I get that?
- This issue officially reveals King Acorn's first name in the Post-Super Genesis Wave Timeline as Nigel, the name being an homage to the character of the same name in the "Wild Thornberry's" TV series, whom shared his personality and, once, the same on-screen voice actor (Tim Curry).
Cameos and References
- The variant cover is interestingly reminiscent of the cover of Issue #224, as both feature Eggman ominously standing amidst a black background with computer screens featuring other characters surrounding him.
- The subtitle in Overclocked Nicole's intro box, "Blast Processing", is a reference to the slogan used in the American Sega Genesis commercials.
- Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 284 at Sonic News Network