The heroes of the SONIC/MEGA MAN crossover event: AT WAR?! "Worlds Unite" Part Seven: The unified army is not so unified anymore! What has driven Mega Man, X and their robot companions to attack Sonic and the Freedom Fighters? Drs. Eggman and Wily may have the answer! Or a weapon. Could a weapon be the answer? Or is it more trademark treachery? Meanwhile, Sigma grows in power, preparing for the next phase of his master plan! And speaking of masters, this issue features cover art from master-artist Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante, a CG-SLUGFEST Variant cover from Rafa Knight and part 7 of the epic 12-part connecting variant cover series by artist Ben Bates!
- Worlds Unite - Part Seven: Gears and Wills
Sonic and the Knothole Freedom Fighters find themselves hard-pressed by the Robot Masters and Maverick Hunters, who are still being controlled by the Deadly Six. Sonic encourages his allies to fight it, but Mega Man explains that the Zeti are overriding his controls. Axl, greatly unnerved by the experience, wonders if it is anything like becoming a Maverick, but Zero makes it clear that they are not suffering that affliction while trying not to harm Antoine. Sonic realizes that the Deadly Six have to be stopped before being frozen by Flash Man, who uses his remaining control to convey the plan to the Freedom Fighters. Big then throws Flash Man into his teammates, while Snake Man expresses his regrets to Rotor, who isn't quite convinced given that the Robot Master is smiling as he's attacking. Observing the action from inside, Sally resolves to go out, while ordering Cream and Roll to remain with Nicole, as she fears the former getting hurt and the latter falling subject to the same manipulation.
Leaving Nicole in charge and telling her to inform Dr. Eggman and Dr. Wily that they have no more time to work on their latest weapon, she rushes outside to find Bunnie struggling to control her robotic limbs and keep from attacking her friends. Gemerl then comes after the princess, but is thwarted by Knuckles, who reports that he just got away from a fight with Break Man. Sally then orders her teammates to retreat inside. Zik notices the Sky Patrol is getting in position to fire its cannons at them, and Zeena starts taking said cannons out. Zazz wants to take control of the Sky Patrol and drive it into the ground, or potentially even further into the planet's core, but Zavok points out that would kill them too. And even if they could escape, they can barely stand after the fight they've been in and shouldn't divide their focus any more than they already have.
In another world, Sticks is in an interrogation room where she mixes a recap of what's happened with a conspiracy about pasta sauce. Sticks asks her interrogator if she has any friends who'd like to fight a big, bald man and save all of creation, and the grinning silhouette eagerly says she'll make a few calls...
Back on the Sky Patrol, Big holds Bunnie down so that she can't attack anyone while Sonic and Sally argue about her latest plan. X and Mega Man shoot at them while they're distracted, nailing Sally in the arm. Eggman and Wily appear with their completed laser cannon, which blasts all the robots and the Zeti, knocking them out and overheating the weapon. Sonic grabs Eggman, enraged that they've killed Mega Man, but the Doctors explain that they just disabled them, as well as destroying the Deadly Six's armor. Sally confronts the recovering Zavok and offers him the chance to surrender peacefully. Zavok refuses, but then passes out from exhaustion. Cream and Roll come out to help with first aid and repair on the heroes, while the Doctors are annoyed that they saved the day but are being completely ignored. Mega Man tries to apologise to Sonic, but he tells him it's no sweat and they shake hands. Big starts to carry the unconscious Deadly Six off to the brig and Nicole reports that despite Zeena's damage, they still have 40% offensive capability.
There's an argument on what to do next, with Sally, Mega Man, and X arguing the team needs to take some time to recover but Zero and Sonic saying they should press their attack on Lost Hex before Sigma has any more time to complete his plans. They're interrupted by a loud humming from below. Sigma gloats that the merged worlds have nearly been drained of their energies and that his evolution towards godhood begins now was he steps into the chest of a larger machine hooked up to the Unity Engine. Red lightning zaps it as he laughs evilly and the giant robotic body rises from the Lost Hex's surface, dwarfing the approaching Sky Patrol in sheer size. And with it, a whole army of Mavericks.
Mega Man attacks Zomom with his Mega Buster, while Sonic Spin Dashes into Zeena, Master Zik, Zor and Zazz. Comedy Chimp throws a pie at Zavok, only for that to make him angry. Comedy Chimp says that this works better than his Wolf Sidekick.
- After sending the motion-controlled heroes of Earth 20XX and Earth 21XX after the rest, the Deadly Six take control of Gemerl and Bunnie's robotic limbs too.
- Sally steps out of the Sky Patrol to help the others, who are forced to retreat inside.
- In the Street Fighter world, Sticks and Chun-Li recruit more heroes to help.
- Back on the Lost Hex, the evil doctors free the robotic heroes from the Deadly Six's control, and the Deadly Six from Sigma's control, by blasting the D6 with their Egg-Wily Uppity Robot Scrambler Cannon, destroying their armor.
- Sigma moves into a colossal new body, the torso of which resembles Zavok's head, and sends his Maverick army to attack the heroes.
Axl: I-Is this what it's like to be infected by the Sigma virus? I don't want to become a Maverick!
Zero: Keep it together, kid! We're not Mavericks! Do your best to pull your punches!
Cameos & References
- The first variant cover is a CGI remake of Sonic #248's (Worlds Collide Part 3) standard cover.
- Sticks makes a reference to the Sonic X television series (ironically the previous Sonic show that aired before the introduction of her native Sonic Boom series), after saying Sonic and X's name together. She goes on to say it probably wouldn't last past three seasons, which is how many seasons of the show there were.
- The ending scene of this issue shows the whole army of Mavericks, similar to the "Robot Master Army" from the beginning of Sonic #250's (Worlds Collide Part 9).
- Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 274 at Mega Man Knowledge Base
- Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 274 at Sonic News Network