Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Previous Issue ←—→ Next Issue
Sonic the Hedgehog Publication Details Issue
March 11, 2015
Production Staff Cover Artist Cover Colorist Writer Pencils Inks Letters Colors Assistant Editor
- Vincent Lovallo
- Paul Kaminski
Editor in Chief
- Victor Gorelick
- Mike Pellerito
- Jon Goldwater
to Tyler Ham and Anthony Gaccione at SEGA Licensing
First Appearances Characters Groups
Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 270 is the two hundred and seventieth issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
'Champions,' Part 3. The battle for the Chaos Emerald is reaching a fevered pitch! Hero versus hero! Villain versus villain! Will Dr. Eggman be content to play by the rules? Will Metal Sonic come in and shake things up? And what exactly is the secret history between Metal Sonic and casino mogul Breezie? All of the answers await you in this thrilling, penultimate chapter! Featuring all-new cover art from one of the newest Sonic superstars Jennifer Hernandez, plus a special 'Marvel at the Showdown' variant cover by the incomparable Brent McCarthy!
- Champions - Part Three: "Raising the Stakes"
Not too long ago in Empire City, Breezie the Hedgehog found herself overlooking the construction of Casino Park with her benefactor, Dr. Eggman. Eggman cheerfully told her that it would make a wonderful new capital for her casino racket. Breezie mused that it would also serve as a great trap for Sonic the Hedgehog and mentioned off-hand that he was too generous to be the real Dr. Eggman. Understanding that he can't keep up his charade, "Eggman" transformed into Neo Metal Sonic and grabed her jaw, demanding that she refrain from warning Sonic or his friends. Breezie smoothly moved his steely clutch into a gentle caress of her cheek, explaining that she appreciated her new base and understood his desire to move out of Eggman's shadow. She assured him that she takes no sides and only cares about profits.
Back in the present, Bean and Nack are pitted against each other in the Chaos Emerald Championship. Sonic takes a breather from laughing at his foes when he notices Tails pouting over his loss to Honey the Cat in the previous round. Tails explains that he's upset that people all over the world got to see him lose like a chump, but Sonic assures him that people everywhere know him as his best friend and the hero who saved Station Square. Meanwhile, Nack is at his breaking point, furious that Breezie led him to believe the brackets were set in the Hooligans' favor and upset at Bean's insubordination. He launches into a dive kick and floors Bean, telling him to pretend to be knocked out. Nack is declared the winner and, over in Meropis, Razor the Shark wins a bet on the match against Captain Striker.
Sonic asks Espio if he's happy to see his loss against Bean avenged. Thinking back to how Vector chewed him out over the phone, Espio decides he's not all that thrilled. Sonic asks why he didn't manage to sneak Vector or Charmy into the tourney. Espio explains that he only planted Knuckles because he was in the area and it shouldn't have worked in the first place, suggesting that Breezie is aware of the sabotage and has tampered with the brackets herself. He reminds Sonic that Dr. Eggman is sure to be involved and not to let his guard down. As they finish their conversation, Amy and Knuckles begin their fight. Amy gets pumped to take down Knuckles and face Sonic in the finals, but starts over-analyzing the situation and worrying about disappointing or hurting him. While she's distracted, Knuckles lands an explosive punch that sends her flying into the spectator seats. Sonic and Tails glare at Knuckles, who is slightly ashamed by his friends' disapproval, while Razor rakes in a hefty stack of cash from a bet with King Puff.
Sonic and Tails visit Amy in a hospital room, where she's more annoyed about her loss than hurt. Sonic takes her hand and asks if she's okay, but Amy insists that she's fine and asks Sonic to avenge her loss before swooning over her hero. Tails also requests to be avenged as Sonic heads out to start his match with Honey. Sonic and Honey meet in the ring and shake hands, ready to fight, but Honey admits that Sonic needs to win the Chaos Emerald far more than she needs to promote her brand. Sonic offhandedly mentions that they still need to put on a show for the crowd when Honey flips him over her shoulder and slams him into the ground. They have a fierce fight, dodging and countering attacks, when Honey decides to use her afterimage dodge. Recognizing the move from her fight with Tails, Sonic grabs Honey and flings her out of the ring. As she soars through the air, Honey is overcome by how cool their fight was.
Sonic's prime time fight over, Breezie's BreezTV station takes a moment to air advertisements about Breeze Media shows, movies, attractions, as well as Breezie and the brand itself. The Hooligans watch the commercials grumpily from their locker room as Nack tries to prepare for his match with Knuckles. He turns to Bark for advice on how to win the match without his blaster. Bark (implicitly and non-verbally) suggests psyching Knuckles out. When the match begins, Nack taunts Knuckles by calling him a failure, insulting him for hurting Amy and failing to keep the Master Emerald safe. Knuckles stands still in the center of the arena and Nack starts whacking him with his tail, trying to get his attention. Knuckles grabs his tail, revealing that he was just waiting for Nack to stand still, and slams him into the ground a few times before throwing him into the spectator seats. Meanwhile, in Meropis, Razor reluctantly hands over all his day's winnings to Pearly.
Aboard the Death Egg, Dr. Eggman hangs out eating snacks on his bed with Orbot and Cubot while watching the tournament. Disappointed in the Hooligans' failure, he checks to make sure Metal Sonic will arrive on time and instructs Bean to get the group ready for his backup plan. Back at Casino Park, Sonic and Knuckles enter the ring for the championship match. The two heroes tease each other, joking about past fights and getting ready for a real fight. Just out of sight, Nack sets up a sniper rifle and takes aim, ready to take out the heroes from afar.
Masterbot Theatre poses a question for the audience: What if the "Champions" story arc was a manly anime series? Sonic and Knuckles are drawn as muscular parodies of anime characters, their dialogue translated from Japanese by the editor. They start screaming at each other and the editor is eventually unable to keep up with their nonsense. Script by Jonathan Gray, Pencils by Lamar Wells, Inks by Terry Austin, Colors by Steven Lisefski.
- Bean: "Wait...what event is this? Heyyy...That plumber lied to me!"
- Breezie (on TV): "With Breeze Media, everybody can be a winner!™"
- Nack: "Sure. Pull the other one you manipulative so-and-so..."
- Nack: "Okay...going up against Knuckles. And I don't have my blaster this time...Any suggestions?"
- Nack: "Get in his head? Yeah...Psyche him out! Good idea, Bark!"
- Dr. Eggman: "I played by Breezie's rules up to this point. Now we're doing things my way!"
- Cubot: "I thought that started when you pirated her pay-per-view channel?"
- A flashback reveals that just before the events of Sonic Heroes, Metal Sonic, as Neo Metal Sonic, helped Breezie construct Casino Park as the capitol of her casino empire in exchange for making it a deathtrap for Sonic and his friends.
- The Chaos Emerald Championship continues, with Nack and Knuckles moving on to the Semifinals.
- The Semifinals conclude, with Sonic and Knuckles moving on to the Championship Match.
- Dr. Eggman enacts his backup plan to obtain the tournament's Chaos Emerald grand prize.
- Casinopolis is mistakenly placed on Westside Island, when it is actually located in Station Square, Soumerca. Ian Flynn confirmed this to be a typo, as it was originally intended to be Casino Night Zone. 
Cameos & References
- When Nack demands that Bean "take a dive" for him, Bean dives on to his face and does several flips in the air before sticking his landing like a gymnast. He then comments about the "event" and realizes that the "plumber" lied to him. This is a reference to the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series, as Bean is confusing the tournament with an Olympic event.
- Wes Weasely and the President make cameo appearances in advertisements for BreezTV, endorsing "Chao Cola" and chatting with Breezie, respectively.
- The shows and movies advertised by Breeze Media are references to various elements from the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
- "Chao Boom" is a reference to the Sonic Boom franchise, with the starring Chao resembling the Sonic Boom versions of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. The show also airs at the same time that the Sonic Boom cartoon aired on Cartoon Network when this issue was published.
- "Sonic Man" is a reference the eponymous citizen from Soleanna in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
- "Chao in Space 3" is a reference to the "Chao in Space" posters seen in Sonic Adventure games.
- This issue's Off Panel is presented as an episode of Masterbot Theatre, a reference to a Masterpiece Theatre parody from StH #39. In addition, El Gran Gordo makes a cameo on the title card.
- In the Off Panel strip, Sonic and Knuckles are drawn in the likeness of Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star and Jotaro Kujo from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, respectively. They each strike a famous pose from the series and say an approximation of the characters' catchphrases. In the final panel, they scream "Ora ora" and "Muda muda", a reference to the battle cries of Jotaro and Dio Brando during their battle in the finale of Stardust Crusaders.
- Knuckles is likely dressed as Jotaro as a reference to Sonic Adventure 2, where his digging sound effect was "Ora ora ora!"
- The "Marvel at the Showdown" variant cover is based off the cover art to the popular Capcom fighting game Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
- The Lost Hex has been shown on the monitor screen at the Death Egg. Stating as the foreshadowing of Sonic Lost World, and Sonic and Mega Man: Worlds Unite.