Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 25 was the twenty-fifth issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
- "Go Ahead, Mecha my Day!" - Part One
In Freedom HQ, Rotor is fitting a device into one of Sonic's shoes. The device, which Rotor dubs "the Sonicam", is a high speed fiber optic camera that relays information back to Freedom HQ and is equipped with a slow motion compensator to keep images clear no matter how fast Sonic moves. Sonic, trying to figure out how to use the device properly, asks if the camera faces wherever his toe points. Rotor tells him he's right, but he still needs to watch where he's going; Sonic ends up running into a wall. Sally is confident that the device will be extremely helpful, telling the Knothole Freedom Fighters that they'll be investigating a newly discovered Zone.
Dr. Robotnik is boasting about his newest creation, the Collision Chaos Zone, to his Pirahna-bot. He explains that he created the zone to lure Sonic into his latest trap, but decides that he needs to come up with an additional incentive to make certain Sonic plays along. Robotnik opens up some Sonic fan mail he pilfered, specifically a letter from Sonic's biggest fan and admirer, a little hedgehog named Amy Rose. He sends his newest robot to kidnap the girl and sends a transmission to the Knothole Freedom Fighters, quickly accusing Sonic of being afraid to face the Collision Chaos Zone.
Sally tries to calm Sonic down, reasoning that it must be a trap, but Robotnik pays her little mind and reveals that he has captured Amy Rose. Sonic furiously spins and snorts at Robotnik's dastardly deeds. Ending the transmission, Robotnik orders Snively to disguise himself as a second Dr. Robotnik and follow Sonic in his Robo-Pod, burning up the Collision Chaos Zone behind him. Robotnik plans to wait for Sonic in the next zone, ready to spring an even deadlier trap.
- "Go Ahead, Mecha my Day!" - Part Two
Sonic stands before the Knothole Council and demands to be allowed to immediately rescue his best pen-pal, Amy. Sally agrees that they need to rescue her, but that they can't go in without knowing the risks. Sonic blows it off and suggests they send Tails in to scout the area. Despite Antoine's objections and Sally's reservations, Tails flies towards Robotropolis and is immediately captured by a squad of SWATbots. Sonic, unable to wait for Tails any longer, races to the Zone portal. He finds a floating monitor transmitting a video feed of Robotnik. The doctor reveals that Tails and Amy are both his hostages now, and Sonic leaps into the zone to save them.
As Sonic rushes through the Zone, Robotnik contacts Snively, who begins burning up the trail behind Sonic. Thanks to the Sonicam, the Freedom Fighters discover that the "Robotnik" following Sonic is Snively in a costume. Sally wonders to herself why Robotnik would want Sonic to only head forward. Meanwhile, Sonic makes his way to the entrance to the next zone, wondering why he's had such an easy time so far. When he enters the next zone, he finds himself face to face with Amy's mysterious captor.
- "Go Ahead, Mecha my Day!" - Part Three
Amy's kidnapper is revealed to be none other than Sonic's newest robotic doppelganger, Metal Sonic, who claims that Sonic has no chance of defeating him. He challenges Sonic to a race to the end of Stardust Speedway, informing him that Amy and Tails are waiting at the finish line. Sonic considers doubling back, only to spot the disguised Snively following behind him, forcing him to confront his robotic double.
Back in Knothole, the Freedom Fighters are no longer able to follow Sonic's confrontation due to the zone's energy field interfering with the Sonicam, and Sally decides to track Sonic down. Sonic and Metal race through the zone, the former unaware that the real Robotnik is waiting for him at the finish line. The doctor asks Crabmeat to examine the finish line, only to test his final trap for Sonic on the poor robot: a crushing mechanism. Should Sonic beat Metal to the finish line, Robotnik plans to spring the trap and crush the hedgehog.
- "Go Ahead, Mecha my Day!" - Part Four
Metal Sonic demands that Sonic give up the race, but Sonic refuses to be stopped. Metal reveals that the "Metal Sonic" that Sonic was talking to was a hologram and activates a speed bump, tripping Sonic. Near the finish line, Rotor and Sally have arrived in a plane. Sally parachutes down to Robotnik while Rotor flies off. Sonic and Metal Sonic reach the final leg of the race, and Sonic whips out his secret weapon: the Figure Eight Super Peel Out, which allows him to move even faster than normal. Metal Sonic tries to keep up, but the strain causes his body to overheat and his limbs begin to melt.
As Sonic crosses the finish line, Rotor shoots down Snively, Sally strikes Robotnik from above with a kick and stops him from activating the crusher, and Metal Sonic crashes. Sonic reveals to a furious Robotnik that he saw the trap coming, and agrees to stand under the archway housing it so Robotnik can try it again. Robotnik presses the button, but Sonic simply steps out of the way just before the device crushes him. Astounded, Robotnik stands under the arch to examine it for defects, only for it to crush him. With Amy and Tails freed, the heroes celebrate their victory while Robotnik groans "I hate that Hedgehog!"
Paul Castiglia celebrates the comic's 25th issue. Assistant Editor Freddy Mendez asks Scott Fulop who this weird guy in the office is. Scott explains that you always need to be prepared for intruders and hits a button on his desk, sending Paul falling down a trap door. Art by Bill Golliher.
- Robotnik: "Why, Princess Sally... Isn't this a face you can trust? Have I ever lied to you?"
- Sally Acorn: "No and Yes, disrespectively."
- Robotnik: "*snicker* Mecha Sonic has engaged the hedgehog!"
- Amy Rose: "Oh boohoo hooo *sob* WAHHHH!!!"
- Tails: "What's wrong, Amy Rose?"
- Amy Rose: "*sniffle* I was hoping one day Sonic would get engaged to me!"
- Robotnik: "I hate that hedgehog!"
- Sonic meets Amy Rose and defeats the original Metal Sonic.
- This is the series' first milestone issue.
- This issue's story is an adaptation to the videogame Sonic CD.
- This issue introduces the original Metal Sonic, but refers to him as Mecha Sonic. He was retconned to have always been "Metal Sonic" in his reappearance in StH #86. He is not to be confused with the Metal Sonic created by Dr. Eggman.
- The Little Planet is not referenced here at all, despite being the main setting of Sonic CD.
Cameos & References
- Vector and Espio make brief cameos in the background of the Stardust Speedway Zone. This issue was printed before their canonical first appearances in the Sonic Triple Trouble and Knuckles Chaotix specials.
- A Sega Saturn logo and Virtua Fighter character can be seen while Sonic is racing Metal Sonic.
- Robotnik pays tribute to the Wizard of Oz when a large version of his head with flame pillars to either side of it rests in the background as he parodies the lines of "Oz, the Great and Terrible".
- The stolen "Sonic-Grams" fan mail is in a bag marked with U.S. Post and is addressed to Archie Comics.
- Sonic addresses Robotnik as Flabio, a nod to Fabio.
- Sally briefly thinks about someone known as "Princess Di", a reference to the late Princess Diana of Wales.
- In reprints, this is changed to "Princess Leia", a reference to the Star Wars character.
- Antoine asks when did they get the Sci-Fi Channel
This issue has been reprinted in the following places:
- Sonic Archives Vol. 7
- Sonic Legacy Book 2
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #3
- Sonic: The Games - Classic
- Parts 3 and 4 were reprinted as a bonus story in Sonic Universe #50, with the last two panels omitted.
|Sonic the Hedgehog (StH)||
|Sonic Universe (SU)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94|
|Sonic Boom (SB)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 ||
|Sonic X (SX)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 ||
|Knuckles the Echidna (KtE)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 ||
|Tie-Ins||Sabrina: 28 | Mega Man: 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 50 | 51 | 52 ||
|Mini-Series||Sonic Miniseries: 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | Sally Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Tails Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Knuckles Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Sonic Quest Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 ||
|One-shot Specials||Sonic In Your Face | Sonic & Knuckles | Sonic Triple Trouble | Knuckles' Chaotix | Super Sonic vs Hyper Knuckles | Sonic & Knuckles: Mecha Madness | Sonic Live! | Sonic Blast | Mega Man: Worlds Unite Battles | Sonic the Hedgehog: Worlds Unite Battles | Mega Drive | Sonic: Mega Drive- The Next Level|
|Sonic Super Specials (SSS)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 ||
|Free Comic Specials (FCBD/HCF)||Sonic #1/4 | Archie Mini 98 | Archie Mini 99 | Secret Rings | Sonic FCBD 07 | Sonic FCBD 08 | Sonic FCBD 09 | Sonic FCBD 10 | Sonic FCBD 11 | Sonic FCBD 12 | Sonic FCBD 13 | Sonic HCF 13 | Sonic FCBD 14 | SB: Digital | Sonic FCBD 15 | Sonic FCBD 16 ||
|Sonic Super Special Magazine
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13|
|Sonic Super Digest
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17|
|Reprints & Compilations||Sonic Archives | Sonic Saga Series | Sonic the Hedgehog Graphic Novel Series | Sonic Select | Sonic Universe Graphic Novel Series | Sonic Boom Graphic Novel Series | Knuckles Archives | Sonic Legacy Series | Best of Sonic the Hedgehog | Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide | Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Unite | Archie Digital Exclusives|
|International Versions||France | Germany | United Kingdom ||
|Other||Variant Covers | Sonic Comic Book Packs | Sonic Comic App | Video Games | The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia | Sonic Super Special Magazine Issue 14 (Limited/Unreleased Version) ||