Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 235 is the two hundred and thirty fifth issue in the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
The Freedom Fighters are torn apart in the fallout from last issue. Sonic and his friends must deal with the loss in their own way, and it will change the team forever. When Silver the Hedgehog arrives looking for “the traitor," will the weary Sonic give him a chance to speak?
- "Remember the Fallen"
Silver and Edmund have found a hidden library. Silver is excited at the find and hopes it may hint towards the Traitor. While Edmund tells him not to get his hopes up, Silver's attention is focused on a series of books that had been left out. One is Antoine's heavily-worn journal. Upon reading it he sees the entry Antoine made about Geoffrey St. John's trial, though the majority of the words have been made illegible with time and the remaining pieces seems to point out that Antoine is a traitor supporting Naugus, not Geoffrey. He approaches Mammoth Mogul with the journal and an old, torn newspaper with a headline that announces Sonic's fight against a former ally (the picture is torn). Mogul points out that the majority of the "evidence" is illegible and that Silver shouldn't get too far ahead of himself. Silver goes back in time once again, but Mogul instructs him not to take the time stone and tells Silver only to return when the traitor has been dealt with. He gives Silver a sheet of paper with instructions on how to return to his time later.
In the present, the Freedom Fighters are dealing with the near-death of Antoine in their own ways. Amy Rose is trying to distract herself, Tails is repairing the Tornado, and Sonic is playing his guitar, reflecting on the times he picked on Antoine. Bunnie is at the hospital, crying and talking to a heavily bandaged Antoine, who is in a coma. She blames herself for his state and says that she has to leave, to set things right. She leaves a letter explaining her absence.
Ixis Naugus and the council has gathered with Nicole. They vote to exile her to Freedom HQ and everyone except Rotor votes for exiling her, even Sonic's Uncle Chuck, who says it's because that's what the people want. Rotor is so upset about the turn-out that he quits the council then and there. He defends Nicole, pointing out that she built their city and is a Freedom Fighter. She begs him not to quit, but he cannot get over the Council turning their back on her. Unbeknownst to him, Silver is watching from nearby, regretting that he ever could have suspected "Boomer" as a traitor before vowing to make up for it by stopping Antoine.
Amy arrives at Sonic's house to further distract herself, but he doesn't open his room to her. She breaks down with his parents and Sonic decides to be better to her. As he is leaving his room he notices Silver outside. Silver asks where Antoine is and declares that Antoine is the traitor and that he is right this time. Sonic breaks through his house's wall to attack Silver. He drags him by his spines to the hospital and throws him against Antoine's bed. He shouts at Silver that Antoine is a hero and tells him of his heroic sacrifice, and then notices Bunnie's parting note. Silver quickly deduces that she must be the traitor, and barely manages to stop Sonic from hitting him again by throwing up a psychic shield. Berating the time traveler, Sonic retorts that he believes in his friends, that there is no traitor, and that Silver is just a flake. Chastened, Silver apologizes and leaves the room. Geoffrey comes in and salutes Antoine, to Sonic's annoyance. He says that Silver's time had one thing right—the Freedom Fighters were no more.
Later, Silver is sulking and trying to enjoy how the world looks. Harvey Who approaches and correctly deduces that Silver is the time-traveling hedgehog he's heard about. He invites Silver to join the Secret Freedom Fighters, so he can help the world without leaving behind a paradox-causing legacy, a proposal Silver accepts.
Silver is going over a new list of potential alternate with Amy, only to learn that Fiona Fox, Drago Wolf, Sleuth "Doggy" Dawg and Geoffrey St. John have all gone traitor already. Amy asks Silver is he even trying anymore. The next panel shows Silver working himself ragged trying to come up with new suspects, such as Cream, Cheese, Nate Morgan, Bivalve, Wes Weasly, Mama Robotnik and even himself.
Silver: What's the point? I'm out of suspects and motives! Naugus is already king, so the resurgence has to be right around the corner! I have NO IDEA how to save ANYONE! It's No Use!
Harvey: Hmm. You know I've heard a rumor of a time-traveling hedgehog, would that happen to be you?
- Antoine is in a coma after the events of the previous issue.
- Bunnie leaves on a unspecified mission.
- Silver strands himself in the past to find the traitor.
- The Council of Acorn exiles NICOLE to Freedom HQ and Rotor resigns himself from the council.
- The Freedom Fighters are disbanded.
- Silver becomes a member of the Secret Freedom Fighters.
- When Sonic is reminiscing about Antoine, there is a reference to StH: #4, when Super Sonic puts a whoopee cushion in Antoine's chair.
- This issue marks the reappearance of Muttski after not having been seen since StH: #134.
- In the off-panel, you can see photos of Bivalve, Cream and Cheese, Nate Morgan, Silver, and two exclusive characters from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: Wes Weasly and Mama Robotnik (the wacky universe version of Bertha Kintobor)
- The windows on Sonic's house are based on Sonic's logo from Sonic 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- Silver uses the phrase "It's no use!", which is a nod to his dialogue as a boss character from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- Sonic never smiles once (the only exception being when he is remembering memories with Antoine) in this issue, which is extremely rare.
- This is currently the last issue to feature the tagline "The World's Way Past Cool Comic".
- In previous issues, it was stated that the traitor was one of the original founding members of the Knothole Freedom Fighters. Despite this, Silver briefly concluded that the traitor was Bunnie, who didn't join the group until later.
- The appearance of Mecha Sally on the cover of this issue led to fan speculation that Sally Acorn herself was the traitor to the Freedom Fighters. This was later confirmed in StH: #247.
- This issue marks the final on-panel appearances of Dr. Quack, Amadeus Prower, Edmund, and Mammoth Mogul assuming characters and concepts created by former writer Ken Penders have since been banned from the comic.
- The first four pages of this issue where reprinted in Sonic Sonic Super Special Magazine #8
- In Germany, this issue was printed in Panini Sonic the Hedgehog #5