formatting it to ensure it meets the site's criteria.
Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 160 was the one hundred and sixtieth issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
It's Sonic's birthday, and he's just been presented with the newly- refurbished, original Freedom Fighter's base, first shown way back in Sonic #1! It doesn't take long for the festivities to become fearsome, as Bark and Bean crash the party on Robotnik's orders! Meanwhile, Rouge and Evil Sonic both have their eyes on pilfering the Master Emerald. It's a birthday celebration the Blue Blur will never forget! Featuring a birthday blastin' cover by party favorin' fan-fave, Spaz!
- "Birthday Bash" - Part One ("Giving and Receiving")
Sonic and King Elias are walking through Knothole, with Elias explaining the reason for the Metal Sonic Troopers. Sonic casually states that King Maximillian should've expected that even a doomsday device wouldn't be enough to end him. They two arrive at the entrance to Freedom HQ with Tails waiting outside the door. When they enter the old Freedom HQ, Sonic is greeted and wished a happy birthday by the Freedom Fighters and suprised to see a newly refurbished Freedom HQ. Elias states that it is a place to plan that is away from families and Sally adds it is "a step back to simpler times." However, the party is interrupted by Bean and Bark, who proceed to attack Sonic and the others. Sonic, thinking that they came for revenge because of Evil Sonic, stuns Bark and pins Bean against the wall, trying to explain the misunderstanding, but Bean says there is no mistake.
Meanwhile, in the Master Emerald chamber, Rouge is making her way to the Master Emerald, when she suddenly sees Evil Sonic already at the Emerald. They bicker on who was supposed to distract Locke, but suddenly, Locke appears and confronts them both.
Back at Freedom HQ, the Freedom Fighters are having trouble with Bean and Bark when Fiona exploits their weaknesses by baiting Bean with a set of keys and throwing them outside and reasoning with Bark. Sally then interrogates Fiona, asking how she knew about them. Fiona reluctantly explains that she had a "checkered past." As Sonic proposes that they look for Bean, Shadow suddenly appears, holding an unconscious Bean.
In the Master Emerald chamber, Rouge and Evil Sonic try to double-team Locke, but Locke deflects Evil Sonic's attack by using the Chaos Force. He and Rouge then get into a brief scuffle, and when Rouge calls Evil Sonic for help, he instead gets on the Master Emerald and attempts to power up, but Locke knocks him off before he can complete the transformation. As he prepares to deal with Rouge, Evil Sonic reappears, saying: "The birthday boy gets first dibs, Rouge."
Freedom HQ: Sonic and Shadow are talking in the common room, with Shadow thanking him for saving Hope's life. Meanwhile, Bean is in the Brain Trust room telling Dr. Eggman of their recent failure. Eggman then sends a transport pod to Freedom HQ's location. Sonic, Shadow, and the Freedom Fighters go to the pod crash site, to be confronted by the sub-boss Croctobot.
Master Emerald chamber: Rouge and Locke stare in disbelief at Evil Sonic, who is calling himself "a real scourge" due to his new appearance.
- "Sonic Rush" - Part One
Blaze the Cat walks toward Knothole Village to search for "The Blue One". As she is looking at the village, a group of SWATbots ambushes her. After a brief struggle, she is knocked out and taken to Dr. Eggman.
Meanwhile, Sonic is going through Knothole Village when Rotor calls him to show him surveillance footage of the SWATbot attack outside the village, and when he sees it, Sonic races off to their base of operations.
In the base, Blaze is hooked to a machine as the robot scientists gather information on her. As they do, Sonic enters the base destroying more SWATbots along the way. Blaze regains consciousness and engulfs the whole room in flames. Sonic hears the commotion, but then the door blows open and he encounters Blaze, who recognizes him.
In the Off-Panel universe, when Sonic orders "160 landmark issues" (referring to this being the 160th installment in the series), he is instead delivered 160 boxes of tissues. Racing back and forth in anger, it's revealed that Mike did this so that Archie wouldn't have to buy a new snow blower.
In the Off-Panel universe, Sonic comes to Mike with an idea for a new comic, but learns that he's working on a different book. Sonic gets angry and possessive of his editor before realizing that he's working on Sonic X.
- Bean: Frankly, Cobalt, I don't give a darn.
- Shadow: (holding Bean) Happy birthday, blue hedgehog. I cleaned your yard for you.
- Sonic: What are you sending now, Eggman? Your newest toys broke easily.
- Rouge: Evil Sonic?
- Scourge: Not quite, babe. But a real scourge all the same.
- SWATbot: He's so strong!
- Blaze: Who are you calling "he"?
- Mike: When I tell Richard and Michael how much money I saved by not having to buy a new snow blower, it'll be bonus $ time for the Mikester!
- Sonic: WHAT? It's an outrage! You're my editor! Mine mine mine! I won't allow it! I'm calling my lawyer! I'll write a letter to my congressman!
- Mike: Ahem.
- Sonic: Oh! "Sonic X"! Well, that's different! Don't just stand there - get to work dude!
- Mike: Vanity, thy name is Sonic
- Sonic turns 17, though he is biologically 16 due to his time in space.
- Bark the Polar Bear and Bean the Dynamite attack but are defeated.
- Croctobot arrives via one-way transport to attack Sonic and the Freedom Fighters.
- Evil Sonic mutates into Scourge the Hedgehog during a failed attempt to steal the Master Emerald.
- This is the first Sonic issue written by Ian Flynn, as well as the first one drawn by Tracy Yardley.
- This is so far the last Sonic issue drawn in the Sonic Channel style.
- Although Scourge isn't introduced by name until #161, this issue marks his actual first appearance following his transformation from Evil Sonic.
- In the backstory, original SWATbots are seen attacking Blaze the Cat. This is their first appearance in years, and the only time they are seen in the future is those working in Mogul's casino.
- As an insult, Bean calls Sonic "Mr. Needlemouse," a reference to a proposed name for Sonic when he was first being created.
- Bean's line "Frankly, Cobalt, I don't give a darn" is a reworking of the famous last line from the 1939 film "Gone with the Wind".
This issue's stories have been reprinted in the following places:
- "Birthday Bash" Part 1 was printed along with Part 2 in Sonic Super Special Magazine #1 and Sonic Super Digest #4
- "Sonic Rush" Part 1 was printed along with Part 2 in the following places:
|Sonic the Hedgehog (StH)||
|Sonic Universe (SU)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 ||
|Sonic Boom (SB)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 ||
|Sonic X (SX)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 ||
|Knuckles the Echidna (KtE)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 ||
|Tie-Ins||Sabrina: 28 | Mega Man: 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 50 | 51 | 52 ||
|Mini-Series||Sonic Miniseries: 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | Sally Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Tails Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Knuckles Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Sonic Quest Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Battles: MM | StH ||
|One-shot Specials||Sonic In Your Face | Sonic & Knuckles | Sonic Triple Trouble | Knuckles' Chaotix | Super Sonic vs Hyper Knuckles | Sonic & Knuckles: Mecha Madness | Sonic Live! | Sonic Blast | Mega Drive | Mega Drive- The Next Level | Mega Drive- Overdrive|
|Sonic Super Specials (SSS)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 ||
|Free Comic Specials (FCBD/HCF)||Sonic #1/4 | Archie Mini 98 | Archie Mini 99 | Secret Rings | Sonic FCBD 07 | Sonic FCBD 08 | Sonic FCBD 09 | Sonic FCBD 10 | Sonic FCBD 11 | Sonic FCBD 12 | Sonic FCBD 13 | Sonic HCF 13 | Sonic FCBD 14 | SB: Digital | Sonic FCBD 15 | Sonic FCBD 16|
|Sonic Super Special Magazine
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 ||
|Sonic Super Digest
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 ||
|Reprints & Compilations||Sonic Archives | Sonic Saga Series | Sonic the Hedgehog Graphic Novel Series | Sonic Select | Sonic Universe Graphic Novel Series | Sonic Boom Graphic Novel Series | Knuckles Archives | Sonic Legacy Series | Best of Sonic the Hedgehog | Sonic Comics Spectacular | Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide | Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Unite | Archie Digital Exclusives | Standalone Graphic Novels ||
|International Versions||France | Germany | United Kingdom ||
|Other||Variant Covers | Sonic Comic Book Packs | Sonic Comic App | Video Games | The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia ||