Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 149 was the one hundred and forty-ninth issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
- The Good, The Bad, & The Unknown - Part Four: "Armageddon"
Having recently left Knothole on Princess Sally's orders, Jules picks up his brother Chuck, who had been accompanying King Max on his world tour. The two quickly depart to aid the Freedom Fighters, particularly Sonic, who finds himself cornered by Shadow the Hedgehog, Metal Sonic, and Isaac. Dodging an attack by Isaac, who believes that Sonic knows more about the situation than he claims, Sonic starts racing up the wall around the sides of the missile that had emerged from behind him with Metal Sonic in hot pursuit. As Shadow and Isaac look on, surprised by Sonic's risky methods, Sonic tackles Metal Sonic from above making himself look superior to Metal Sonic and manages to put him on a collision course with Shadow. Sonic looks down at the chaos, admiring his handiwork, but notices that Isaac has disappeared.
Meanwhile, the Freedom Fighters reunite in the control room. Determining that Sonic is fighting in a room housing a nuclear missile, Rotor recommends that the group leave the facility immediately. Sonic and Shadow continue their battle while Fiona discovers the armory. Rotor forbids Fiona from using the gun she finds inside while Isaac, detecting the Freedom Fighters in the armory, activates the complex's outer security measures and blows up their ship. Sonic decides to call a time-out with Shadow, pointing out that the room is filling up with steam and Isaac is nowhere to be found. Realizing that the missile is about to launch, they put their differences aside and search for an exit. The Freedom Fighters set out to find Sonic, while Sonic and Shadow reach a catwalk and realize they need to deactivate the nuke before they leave.
The outer defense systems fire at Jules' shuttle as it approaches. Charles disembarks, finding the Freedom Fighters and directing them back to the ship. Shadow and Sonic escape the bunker, but Sonic is unable to run to the shuttle due to his ankle being sprained in their scuffle. Shadow tells him to start spinning and throws him towards the shuttle before making his own escape. The Freedom Fighters take off, lamenting that they learned little about what they had come to investigate. Rotor wishes they could have brought Isaac back for further study, certain that the robot could have given them plenty of valuable information. Meanwhile, back at the bunker, Isaac reports to Dr. Kintobor's tank, waiting for further orders.
- "The Chosen One" - Part One
On Mobius-Seventeen, Stealth the Hedgehog and Professor Egg are locked in battle when a gigantic hand overshadows the planet before expanding to envelop and crush the entire galaxy, erasing the Zone from existence. The villain behind it looks upon it with satisfaction before moving on to the next zone. Back on Mobius Prime, Sonic and Tails are playing hide and seek when a bright light interrupts their game. Zonic the Zone Cop emerges to greet the pair, warning them of danger that threatens the multiverse. Sonic bids Tails farewell, but Zonic reveals that he's come for Tails' help and that Sonic is welcome to tag along if he wishes. Zonic provides them with wristbands to allow them to interact with his Zone properly and leads them to his headquarters. Explaining that he uses the multitude of screens there to monitor the various Sonics, Zonic informs the duo that most of the Zones have been destroyed.
Bringing up images of the last destroyed zone, Zonic reveals that the same being is responsible for all the destruction that has taken place thus far. Tails questions how he and Sonic can stop such a threat, and Zonic then shows them an image of the villain, remarking that it is the reason he came for Tails specifically. The pair recognize him as Mammoth Mogul, leading Zonic to briefly recap Mogul's history with Tails. The duo is confused, thinking that they beat Mogul once and for all the last time they faced him. Zonic explains that, by absorbing enough of Turbo Tails' power, Mogul was able to face off against Chaos Knuckles. During their confrontation, Mogul was able to capture Knuckles' power while Knuckles perished in the resulting explosion. When Knuckles returned from the afterlife, the Chaos Force was destabilized, allowing Mogul to claim all of its power for himself.
Zonic assumes that Mogul intends to destroy the multiverse in order to create a new reality to rule over and explains that he thinks that Tails, the Chosen One, is the key to Mogul's defeat. The group wonders how they'll best Mogul when all of the screens except for those representing the No Zone and Prime Zone black out. Mogul arrives in the No Zone, facing a full-on assault from the Zone Cops. Mogul easily swats them aside while Zonic takes Sonic and Tails to a hidden room deeper in the building, explaining that he knew that a Tails must be the Chosen One but not which Tails. He opens the door to a room full of Tails' alternate selves.
Knuckles tries again and again to get his line, "I wish I had the time", just right. Antoine enters the dressing room and informs him that he missed his entrance. Knuckles pleads for a second chance, but Antoine tells him to talk to the director. Knuckles begs the editor for a second chance, but he doesn't have the time. Written by Michael Gallagher, Pencils by Dave Manak, Colors by the Archie Art Department under the pen name "William De Racooning".
- Shadow: "I sense you are an enemy -- but I know not why!"
- Sonic: "Sounds more like a lapse to the synapse in that noggin of yours. Maybe if you tried meditation -- or maybe found yourself a girl -- you might get a handle -- on all your pent up aggression!"
- Rotor: "Freedom Fighters don't resort to using guns of any kind! Never have! Never will! It's just our way, Fiona!"
- Sonic's battle with Metal Sonic, Shadow, and Isaac concludes.
- The Freedom Fighters and Shadow flee Isaac's bunker.
- Tails and Sonic learn that Mammoth Mogul has become Master Mogul once again and has been destroying other zones.
- All zones but Zone Prime and the No Zone are destroyed, forcing the Zone Cops to engage Master Mogul in a desperate battle.
- Zonic reveals that he has assembled all the alternate versions of Tails in preparation for a battle with Mogul.
- This part concludes the "The Good, the Bad and the Unknown" story arc.
- Shadow's pose on this issue's cover bears a resemblance to one of his Sonic Channel artwork poses from the Sonic Art Assets DVD.
- Rotor's objection to using guns - despite having employed such weaponry himself earlier in the comics - would later be explained in StH #215 as stemming from injuries dealt to fellow Freedom Fighters by overzealous weaponry during Sonic's year-long absence in space.
- Rotor explains that nuclear missiles are a long lost technology that he discovered from ancient diagrams despite the fact that Station Square had fired several nuclear missiles at Robotropolis in StH #110.
- When recollecting the history of the Days of Fury, Zonic refers to the Xorda as "Zorda". Coincidentally, this is presumably what the No Zone version of the species would be named.
Cameos & References
- The inhabitants of Mobius-Seventeen are themed after various characters from Marvel Comics.
- The different Tails Zonic brought to his zone are filled with a number of references, including a Care Bear Tails and a Darth Maul Tails.
This issue has been reprinted in the following places:
- "The Chosen One" - Part One was reprinted in Sonic Select Book 8
|Sonic the Hedgehog (StH)||
|Sonic Universe (SU)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 ||
|Sonic Boom (SB)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 ||
|Sonic X (SX)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 ||
|Knuckles the Echidna (KtE)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 ||
|Tie-Ins||Sabrina: 28 | Mega Man: 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 50 | 51 | 52 ||
|Mini-Series||Sonic Miniseries: 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | Sally Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Tails Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Knuckles Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Sonic Quest Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 ||
|One-shot Specials||Sonic In Your Face | Sonic & Knuckles | Sonic Triple Trouble | Knuckles' Chaotix | Super Sonic vs Hyper Knuckles | Sonic & Knuckles: Mecha Madness | Sonic Live! | Sonic Blast | Mega Man: Worlds Unite Battles | Sonic the Hedgehog: Worlds Unite Battles | Mega Drive | Sonic: Mega Drive- The Next Level | Sonic: Mega Drive- Overdrive ||
|Sonic Super Specials (SSS)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 ||
|Free Comic Specials (FCBD/HCF)||Sonic #1/4 | Archie Mini 98 | Archie Mini 99 | Secret Rings | Sonic FCBD 07 | Sonic FCBD 08 | Sonic FCBD 09 | Sonic FCBD 10 | Sonic FCBD 11 | Sonic FCBD 12 | Sonic FCBD 13 | Sonic HCF 13 | Sonic FCBD 14 | SB: Digital | Sonic FCBD 15 | Sonic FCBD 16 ||
|Sonic Super Special Magazine
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 ||
|Sonic Super Digest
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 ||
|Reprints & Compilations||Sonic Archives | Sonic Saga Series | Sonic the Hedgehog Graphic Novel Series | Sonic Select | Sonic Universe Graphic Novel Series | Sonic Boom Graphic Novel Series | Knuckles Archives | Sonic Legacy Series | Best of Sonic the Hedgehog | Sonic Comics Spectacular | Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide | Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Unite | Archie Digital Exclusives | Standalone Graphic Novels ||
|International Versions||France | Germany | United Kingdom ||
|Other||Variant Covers | Sonic Comic Book Packs | Sonic Comic App | Video Games | The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia | Sonic Super Special Magazine Issue 14 (Limited/Unreleased Version) ||