Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 146 was the one hundred and forty-sixth issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
- "The Good, the Bad, and the Unknown" Part One: Prototype"
The story starts with both Shadow and Sonic in an intense battle, with Sonic coming out on top by using a nearby valve to blast water at Shadow. As the water is going down, Sonic runs off and Shadow is left standing there. Hearing Bunnie, Tails and Tommy Turtle looking for Sonic, Shadow escapes.
Shadow makes it through the base systems and back to a robot called Isaac. Shadow tells him he saw images from his past, from when he battled Locke and Hope told him to stop (Last issue). He goes on that after he found out Hope wasn't Maria Robotnik, he explored Angel Island and saw from below a signal from the mountains. Shadow goes on when he found Isaac, thinking he was another of Gerald Robotnik's inventions. When awakened, Isaac states that Professor Clarke designed his hardware and Dr. Niven programmed his software. Shadow learns that Isaac isn't Gerald's invention, but from the Overlanders.
Meanwhile, Fiona and Rotor discover Sonic hurt from the battle. Bunnie, in communication with Rotor, is told to bring the medi-kit. Bunnie heads back to their plane, but doesn't realize that she's left Tails and Tommy lost in the base. Sonic tries to calm Fiona and Rotor down that he's just exhausted when he stumbled onto Shadow. Rotor explains that even though Shadow looks like a hedgehog, he's not related to Sonic and may not even be a Mobian.
- Tommy the Turtle in "Out of Your Shell"
The story follows Rotor being busy and Tommy being ignored by him. Tommy feels that everyone's always busy and never have anytime for him. Rotor just comforts him that he needs to find some talent, in which Tommy reorganizes Rotor's files and provides him with knowledge why the techolo-tree isn't working. Rotor seeing Tommy as useful offers him a job as his lab assistant.
- "Circuit Me" Staring Sally & NICOLE
Sally brings NICOLE to Rotor, for Rotor wants to use NICOLE to analysis the powerful energy on a over-energized Power Ring. Sally about to asks NICOLE about it trips over a wire and both her and NICOLE are electrocuted with some strange blue liquid. Rotor asks both of them to respond, and Sally mentions she doesn't feel like herself. Rotor discovers that both NICOLE and Sally have switched bodies with each other. Sally communicating with Rotor on her monitor asks if there's a way to switch them back. Rotor asks Sally to scan the liquid, but Sally gets nothing but a headache.
Meanwhile, NICOLE sneaks out, enjoying having a body being able to see, smell and control her body. Sonic appears and NICOLE feels love with him. NICOLE overpowered by emotions faints. Rotor appears and explains to Sonic that Sally and NICOLE are back. Sonic doesn't understand, but NICOLE just thinks it's a long story and tells Sonic he's one "appealing hedgehog".
- Sonic: What effects? What is going on?
- NICOLE: Suffice it to say, it is a long story. Anyone ever tell you you're a very appealing hedgehog?
- The Freedom Fighters, with Shadow the Hedgehog, explore a military base that predated the Xorda Attack on Earth.
- Dr Eggman sends Metal Sonic to find and defeat Sonic.
- NICOLE accidentally inhabits Princess Sally's body for a brief time.
- This issue cover is one of the six in the main Sonic comic series to not feature Sonic in the art, the others being StH: #15, #157, #190, #210, and #240. (Due to SEGA, Sonic was on the covers in some form, be it an icon, corner box or an alternate form.)
- This issue marks NICOLE's desire to "live", leading her to create her own physical body which would be seen in later issues.
- The arc's title "The Good, the Bad, and the Unknown" is a nod to the name of the famous wild western film featuring Clint Eastwood.