Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 138 was the one hundred and thirty-eighth issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
- "Return to Angel Island: Part 1 - The Message"
At Castle Acorn, King Maximillian scolds Sally and Sonic for infiltrating New Megaopolis without his permission. Sonic tries to place the blame on himself, saying he "kidnapped" the princess, but the king doesn't believe Sonic's feeble lie and continues to admonish his child for failing to consider her responsibilities as a princess. As they leave the castle, Sally demands that Sonic stop covering for her. She reasons that they can't keep pretending they can have a relationship when Sonic refuses to stop being the kingdom's hero; she can't risk being too attached to him while she rules over the city.
Later that afternoon at Fredrick's Airbase, King Acorn and Queen Alicia board the Acorn One and set out on their tour of Mobius, bringing Sir Charles Hedgehog along as their science adviser and Antoine as the commander of their elite guard. At Uncle Chuck's Diner, Sonic has a meal with Tails, Knuckles, and Julie-Su and complains about Sally wanting him to stop fighting. Julie-Su admits that she was worried like Sally when Knuckles returned from the afterlife, but Sonic argues that she's not nearly as hung up on keeping Knuckles out of action. Suddenly, Charmy Bee and Saffron arrive at the diner and collapse from exhaustion.
Some time later, after receiving medical attention, Charmy and Saffron arrive in the throne room of Castle Acorn with Sonic, Tails, and the Chaotix. Sally, as acting ruler while her parents are away, asks Charmy to explain what happened. Charmy obliges, telling her that Dr. Eggman's Egg Pawns destroyed the Golden Hive Colony. Just then, a guard informs the group of a garbled transmission on the Technolotree. The message manages to relay that Locke is being held prisoner on Angel Island. Sally tries to convince a furious Knuckles that it might be a trap, but he refuses to abandon his father. Sally relents, giving the group permission to search for Locke on the grounds that they leave liberating the island from Dr. Eggman for another time. Sonic tells Sally that he refuses to sit this mission out, no matter what she says. Sally, annoyed by his presumptuousness, just demands that he submit a thorough report of the mission when he returns.
That night, Bunnie flies Sonic and the Chaotix to Angel Island in the Freedom Fighter Special. She wonders why she can't explore the island with them, but Sonic assures her that she'll be needed to protect Knothole while he's away. The group lands in the Marble Garden Zone as Bunnie flies the ship back to Knothole. Knuckles tells Sonic to go on reconnaissance, but before Knuckles can even finish his sentence Sonic spots something nearby: an echidna concentration camp run by the Dingo Regime. Sonic and the Chaotix charge the perimeter, quickly disarming and overpowering the dingos. Unlike the others, Knuckles finds himself being overpowered by the guards and is saved by Sonic. While the Chaotix celebrate their victory, the echidna prisoners hail Knuckles as the Avatar. Remington, kneeling among the crowd, approaches Knuckles. He explains that, after some initial skepticism, he came to realize Knuckles must be the Avatar of their people. He tells Knuckles that Echidnaopolis was overrun by the dingos after they allied with Eggman and he spent months in a dungeon, but he always had faith that Knuckles would return and free him. Julie-Su recalls the Prophecy of the Ancient Walkers, which states that a champion would return from the afterlife and deliver the world from its suffering. Knuckles, having lost most of his abilities, doubts he could actually be their Avatar.
In Echidnaopolis, now known as Dingo City, Dr. Eggman demands that Kage Von Stryker force Locke to reveal the location of the Master Emerald. Kage is happy to do so, preparing to torture Locke. Meanwhile, Sonic, the Chaotix, and the echidna prisoners arrive in Lava Reef Zone, the location where the Technolotree's transmission originated. The group notices the smoke rising higher than normal and find themselves surrounded by members of the Dark Legion.
- Mobius: 25 Years Later - "My Dinner with Sonic"
The editor tells Sonic that fans have been really happy about Tails' new, spiky haircut. Sonic explains that he understands why: he can use Tails' hair as a can opener. Written by Mike Gallagher, Pencils by Dave Manak, Colors by the Archie Art Department.
- Sonic: "Sally's being impossible! How are we supposed to win the war against Robotnik if she wants me to sit out of the action?"
- Julie-Su: "Well, for a long time after Knuckles returned from the afterlife, it was unsettling."
- Sonic: "But, Julie-Su, you don't have a problem with Knuckles going into battle the way Sally does with me, do you? I mean, sure, he can't glide anymore, he's as weak as a kitten and pretty much good for nothing, but still..." (suddenly a crash is heard by the door).
- Tails: (studdering) It's- it's-!
- Knuckles: Charmy Bee and Saffron?!?
- Charmy (weak and tired) Help us.
- Sonic: "Yep! I say we, 'do it to it!'"
- Ray: "Do...what...?"
- King Max, Alicia, Antoine, and Uncle Chuck leave for a trip around Mobius.
- Charmy and Saffron arrive in Knothole and rejoin the Chaotix.
- Its revealed that Dr. Eggman destroyed the Golden Hive Colony and the Dingo Regime has enslaved the echidnas of Angel Island.
- Locke is held captive by Kage Von Stryker.
- Knuckles is believed to be a legendary Avatar of the echidnas.
- In the future, Knuckles discusses the planet crisis situation with Sonic.
- The story originally had Helmut Von Stryker as the cybernetic leader of the Eggman-backed Dingoes, but it was later decided that it didn't fit the character; as a result, the character was recreated as his previously-unmentioned son, Kage Von Stryker.
- This is the first issue to feature Charmy in his Sonic Heroes design.
- Skye and Melody Prower first appear in this issue, but are not be named until SU #5.
Cameos & References
- The names of several locations are seen on the Acorn family's luggage, including Bingo Highway and Frog Forest from Sonic Heroes, Wild Canyon from Sonic Adventure 2, Club Rouge and Holy Summit from Sonic Battle, Station Square, Mystic Ruins, South Island, and Mount Stormtop.
- When Vector, Espio, and Charmy jump from the plane, they fall in their Sonic Heroes flight formation.
- Sonic & Knuckles' poses on the cover are based on their official artwork from the box art of Sonic Heroes.
- After landing on Angel Island, Knuckles is equipped with various upgrades from the Sonic Adventure series, including his sunglasses (drawn as goggles) and Air Necklace from Sonic Adventure 2.
- In Uncle Chuck's diner Tiara Boobowski from the cancelled Sonic X-treme can be seen taking orders at the table on the right.
- Just before Sonic and the Chaotix jump out of the FFS-M2, Bunnie's left arm is organic.
- In the panel on the FFS-M2 where Mighty appears to be hugging Espio in his sleep, his shell is missing.
This issue's stories have been reprinted in the following places:
|Sonic the Hedgehog (StH)||
|Sonic Universe (SU)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 ||
|Sonic Boom (SB)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 ||
|Sonic X (SX)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 ||
|Knuckles the Echidna (KtE)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 ||
|Tie-Ins||Sabrina: 28 | Mega Man: 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 50 | 51 | 52 ||
|Mini-Series||Sonic Miniseries: 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | Sally Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Tails Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Knuckles Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Sonic Quest Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 ||
|One-shot Specials||Sonic In Your Face | Sonic & Knuckles | Sonic Triple Trouble | Knuckles' Chaotix | Super Sonic vs Hyper Knuckles | Sonic & Knuckles: Mecha Madness | Sonic Live! | Sonic Blast | Mega Man: Worlds Unite Battles | Sonic the Hedgehog: Worlds Unite Battles | Mega Drive | Sonic: Mega Drive- The Next Level | Sonic: Mega Drive- Overdrive ||
|Sonic Super Specials (SSS)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 ||
|Free Comic Specials (FCBD/HCF)||Sonic #1/4 | Archie Mini 98 | Archie Mini 99 | Secret Rings | Sonic FCBD 07 | Sonic FCBD 08 | Sonic FCBD 09 | Sonic FCBD 10 | Sonic FCBD 11 | Sonic FCBD 12 | Sonic FCBD 13 | Sonic HCF 13 | Sonic FCBD 14 | SB: Digital | Sonic FCBD 15 | Sonic FCBD 16 ||
|Sonic Super Special Magazine
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 ||
|Sonic Super Digest
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 ||
|Reprints & Compilations||Sonic Archives | Sonic Saga Series | Sonic the Hedgehog Graphic Novel Series | Sonic Select | Sonic Universe Graphic Novel Series | Sonic Boom Graphic Novel Series | Knuckles Archives | Sonic Legacy Series | Best of Sonic the Hedgehog | Sonic Comics Spectacular | Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide | Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Unite | Archie Digital Exclusives | Standalone Graphic Novels ||
|International Versions||France | Germany | United Kingdom ||
|Other||Variant Covers | Sonic Comic Book Packs | Sonic Comic App | Video Games | The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia | Sonic Super Special Magazine Issue 14 (Limited/Unreleased Version) ||