Archie Sonic Universe Issue 87 is the eighty-sevenths issue of the Archie Sonic Universe comic series.
Knock knock, it’s KNUCKLES in “Shattered” Part One: A brand new adventure starring Knuckles and Amy Rose begins here! It’s a race against time to find the final Master Emerald shards before Sonic restores the shattered world! The final installment of Knuckles’s search, filled with dangers and mysteries, starts with this issue!
In Green Hill Zone, Knuckles rescues a Locky and another Master Emerald shard from falling into a crater filled with lava. Afterwards, Amy assures Knuckles that all will be well and they run off to Castle Acorn in order to get King Acorn's clearance to search Westside Island for the other shards.
At the castle, Knuckles and Amy find Team Dark also asking King Acorn for his permission, but to find Eclipse and his Dark Arms. They believe that Eclipse had taken refuge on Westside Island, leaving Knuckles to believe that he is also after the Master Emerald shards. Rouge feels it is best for them to team-up, much to the annoyance of the Knuckles, Shadow and Omega.
King Acorn allows both teams to continue their searches but warns Team Dark about betraying his trust. He leaves Amy to act as the kingdom's liaison during the missions and they go on their way. Knuckles makes Rouge hand over the hidden Master Emerald shards that she had before they left, but the former is surprised that the latter handed them over so easily.
At the Royal Airfield, Team Dark allows Knuckles and Amy to ride with them in their G.U.N. Shuttle. Shadow explains that the rest of G.U.N. were sent to the largest corners of the world to keep it secure while Sonic and his team save it. They arrive at Mystic Cave Zone where Omega detects a bioform signature and Knuckles sensed the last three shards.
They drop down to the Hidden Palace Zone, finding large emeralds that look similar to the Master Emerald, but without the same power capabilities. Omega finds himself unable to pinpoint the target due to the abundance of crystal surfaces interfering with his sensors. Rouge decides to split everybody up; she assigns herself with Amy so that the latter can keep an eye on her, makes Omega go his own way and leaves Knuckles and Shadow to team-up, slightly annoying the latter two.
The girls find themselves in a predicament when large emerald shards pierce their way out into their direction. Omega also finds himself in trouble as a mysterious person crystallizes him without warning. Knuckles and Shadow eventually find themselves face-to-face with an echidna named Nixus, who is also looking for the Master Emerald shards.
Knuckles equips himself with gear in order to find the Master Emerald shards, until Amy appears to have found one in no time. She tells him that his methods are outdated by about fifteen years and Knuckles tries to not let this comment get to him.
- Knuckles and Amy retrieve a total of four more Master Emerald shards (three of which came from Rouge).
- Team Dark are revealed to also he searching Westside Island as they believe Eclipse and the Dark Arms are hiding there.
- Both teams journey into the Mystic Cave Zone to hunt down their respective targets.
- While split up into teams, Amy and Rouge get caught in a trap, Omega is crystallized, and Knuckles and Shadow are confonted by a mysterious echidna named Nixus...
- The Master Emerald shard Knuckles recovers from inside the crater is the same one that Sonic previously found in the opening of Worlds Unite (SU#76), alongside the same stranded mobini seagull. The latter instance with Sonic was undone with the rest of the crossover by Xander Payne's paradox, allowing the former to happen in its place.
- The seagull, upon being rescued, expresses a feeling of deja vu (according to Amy), a reference to the erased events of the crossover.
Cameos and References
- The name of the variant cover is a reference to the Genesis game Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: an extended version of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 that could only be accessed by attaching the cartrigde to a copy of Sonic & Knuckles using the latters famous "lock-on" feature. The "& Knuckles" part of the title has become a meme among Sonic fans.
- In the Off-Panel strip, Amy states that Knuckles' treasure hunting techniques may be outdated by 15 years or so. 2016 is the fifteenth year anniversary of the game Sonic Adventure 2, which was the last time Knuckles had to hunt down a shattered Master Emerald.
- The accessories Knuckles puts on are the shovel claws, air necklace, and sunglasses, all items Knuckles could acquire in the aformentioned game.
- Archie Sonic Universe Issue 87 at Sonic News Network