Archie Sonic Universe Issue 83 is the eighty-third issue of the Archie Sonic Universe comic series.
Dr. Eggman’s plans for controlling the shattered world were going perfectly—until now! The wizard warlords—the Naugus Twins—have taken over Eggman's base and Dr. Eggman’s source of Dark Gaia energy! No mere robots will do for this mission—the doctor’s going to need ALL his Egg Bosses! Featuring cover art by Mr. Sonic comics himself, Tracy Yardley, and an "Evil Genius" variant by CG artist supreme, Rafa Knight!
- Eggman's Dozen: Part One - Hostile Takeover
- (This story occurs roughly parallel to Sonic the Hedgehog #279)
The story begins with Doctor Eggman, in his Egg Clam vehicle, and Metal Sonic flying over Eggmanland. Someone has been messing up the area, and Eggman isn't happy about it. Suddenly, they see a group of badniks down below, which have been crystallized. Eggman immediately recognizes this as the work of the troll wizard Walter Naugus and his twin sister, the troll witch Wendy Naugus.
A flashback shows Eggman fighting Sonic in the Egg Storm Chamber, where he held Tails captive while Breezie kept Sonic occupied. However, the Naugus twins arrived seeking revenge on both Eggman and Sonic, forcing Eggman to let Tails go free to keep Sonic from chasing him while he fled. However, he was intercepted and trapped in crystal by the Naugus twins before he could escape; Sonic caught up with him moments later, only to be trapped in crystal himself by Wendy. Tails, watching from afar, sadly promised to rescue Sonic as the Nauguses walk off with their captives.
Back in the present, Eggman, while thankful that he survived his previous ordeal with the troll twins, laments that they are causing trouble for him at a time like this. He and Metal Sonic head to Eggmanland's central energy collector to regain control of the park. Eggman recalls Snively saying that wifi connection is better than hardline connection, but Eggman is glad he used hardline because the crystals are blocking all comm signals. He is even more elated to see his absorption of Dark Gaia's energy is nearly complete. However, his gloating is interrupted by the arrival of the Witchcarters: Falke Wulf, Bearenger, and Carrotia. At first, Eggman isn't impressed, since Tails defeated them before he even stopped fully relying on Sonic, and orders Metal Sonic to attack. Bearenger, angry at the doctor's degrading, responds with a powerful punch that slams Metal Sonic into the ground at Eggman's feet. Falke and Carrotia join in on the attack as Eggman runs back to the Egg Clam for cover. To his surprise, they are all using Dark Gaia's power to attack. Realizing they're using the energy he was harvesting, Eggman furiously retaliates, but then a crystal blast hits the left wing of his vehicle, heralding the arrival of the Nauguses.
Frustrated, Eggman abandons the quiet approach and goes all out, targeting Wendy under the assumption that Walter is still powerless since he fired the Genesis Wave. Walter, however, shoots him down with a crystal blast of his own. Eggman is flabbergasted, even more so when he sees a necklace around Walter's neck which bears three Master Emerald shards. Walter fires another blast at Eggman to finish him, but Metal Sonic blocks it with his Black Shield. Metal Sonic then charges at Walter, but is stopped short by a crystal blast from Wendy, who can't help but laugh at her brother's embarrassment. Bearenger wants to smash Metal Sonic, but Walter has a better idea: take control of Metal Sonic themselves. Outnumbered, Eggman flees, furiously vowing to make the Nauguses pay for this. However, he knows he can't do so alone, so he decides to organize a strike force that can resist the Nauguses' powers.
Eggman returns to the Death Egg, where Orbot and Cubot are waiting for him. Immediately, he contacts Egg Boss Nephthys in Midesta, calling her in for an important mission; she departs at once, with her old ally Spike wishing her luck. Eggman then proceeds to contact ten other Egg Bosses: Clove in Northamer, Thunderbolt in Soumerca, Battle Lord Kukku XV in The Skies, Akhlut and Abyss in the Oceans, Tundra in Artika, Mordred Hood in Eurish, Axel in Efrika, Conquering Storm in Yurashia, and finally, Maw in Tralius. Each of them responds to the call, some of them interested, others apathetic. With his minions on their way, Eggman vows to take no prisoners when the time comes to get revenge on the Nauguses.
Canned Laughter or Carnival Lames
Eggman fails at a game in Eggmanland, to which he rages that all the games are rigged. Orbot reminds him that he himself designed the games. In response, Eggman gives Orbot a knuckle-sandwich and walks away with prizes, proclaiming "someone knows how to win!"
Dorks of the Dark Table or This Is My Two Geeks Notice
- Eggman realizes that Walter restored his powers using multiple Master Emerald Shards.
- After Metal Sonic is crystallized, Eggman escapes to the Death Egg and summons his Egg Bosses to form a strike force.
- Continuing on from the set of flashbacks that loosely retold the events of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit), it's revealed that both Sonic (after saving Tails) and Eggman were immediately captured by the Naugus twins at the Egg Storm Chamber, which led into the events of Tails' Sky Patrol.
- Walter Naugus: Now then, doctor. You seem to be trespassing on our freshly conquered land. Any last words?
- Dr. Eggman: Four, actually. YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS!
- The title "Eggman's Dozen" is undoubtedly inspired by the film "The Dirty Dozen," which involves a group of convicts recruited for a commando operation.
- This issue reveals that Eggman doesn't know that Snively ran off to join G.U.N.
- This issue marks the start of the second Sonic Universe arc to center on Dr. Eggman, the previous one being the "Scrambled" arc contained in SU #37 to #40. A number of parallels between this issue and #37 are evident from the solicitation:
- Eggman's empire comes under threat due to a rival villain who originated from the Sonic the Hedgehog animated series: Snively in the original arc and Naugus in this one.
- Eggman assembles all of his top lieutenants in one location: the Grandmasters in Scrambled and the Egg Bosses in this issue.
- More than two of Eggman's top lieutenants will be introduced as a result of this gathering: #37 introduced three previously unseen Sub-Bosses, whereas this issue introduced introduced four Egg Bosses (or two, if one considers that two of these four previously existed in the Pre-Super Genesis Wave Timeline).
- This issue marks:
- The first appearance of Conquering Storm since SU#39, as well as her debut in the Post-Super Genesis Wave Timeline.
- The first appearance of both Speedy and Grand Battle Kukku XV since SU #36, as well as their debuts in the Post-Super Genesis Wave Timeline.
- The first appearance of Akhlut since StH #247, his debut in the Post-Super Genesis Wave Timeline, and the first appearance of his new humanoid design.
This issue has been reprinted in the following places:
- Sonic Free Comic Book Day 2016 (first ten pages only)