The next exciting chapter in the SONIC/MEGA MAN "WORLDS UNITE" crossover event starts here! "Worlds Unite" Part Five: The worlds of Sonic and Mega Man have been joined together by Sigma, and it’s going to take a full-on army of unified heroes to make it right! Actually—scratch that—it’s going to take some heroes AND some villains! When the mysterious and malicious Xander Payne inexplicably arrives with Drs. Eggman and Wily in tow, our heroes get new insight into Sigma’s plans! Featuring cover art from the legendary Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante and variant cover art from CLAUS-Justin Harder (Thor: the Dark World, SNL) and part 5 of the epic 12-part connecting variant cover series by artist Ben Bates!
- World Unite: Part Five - Everybody In The Same Boat
Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man look down on the fused Mobius and Earth 20XX, and the sight indicates that the merging of the two worlds is having a negative effect on the resulting planetoid. The pair then turn back to a meeting aboard the Sky Patrol, which also includes Flash Man of the Robot Masters, the three Maverick Hunters, Rotor Walrus, and Sally Acorn. Sally questions the absence of Sticks the Badger, and is informed that she is dealing with "spy brooms." After processing this, Sally informs her colleagues that they need to come up with a plan to deal with Sigma-1 and his plot regarding their worlds. Meanwhile, on the Lost Hex, Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik and Dr. Albert W. Wily are fleeing members of the Deadly Six. As the two take cover and contemplate their dire straits, a Genesis Portal opens behind them and admits Xander Payne. Wily recognizes the robot-hating terrorist, but the pair are surprised when Xander offers to save them, claiming that he "must fulfill [his] destiny", and opens another portal through which they escape.
Back on the Sky Patrol, the meeting continues but is interrupted by the unexpected arrival of Sticks. Getting things back on track, Sally-having informed the group that they intend to upgrade the Sky Patrol-turns the floor over to X, as his group has the most experience dealing with Sigma. After explaining Sigma's origin and how dangerous he is, it is noted they have little information of his current position and plans. Shortly into the meeting, Xander's Genesis Portal opens in the room, depositing the doctors and Xander. Surprised by this (specially Mega Man as Wily was presumably dead), the heroes waste no time in locking up the villains.
In the brig, Eggman and Wily explain their situation and offer up info on Sigma's plan for amnesty. Mega Man is not entirely convinced, but Sonic and X point out the lack of options and agrees. The doctors reveal Sigma's plans and his location of the Lost Hex base. As a single world would perish to quickly, Sigma had two worlds fused to turn them into a massive battery that would last longer, using the Unity Engines and Master Engine to drain the power of the worlds and increase his own, becoming a god.
As they prepare to face Sigma, the group makes their way with some amusing interactions: While Mega Man and Sonic bring water, E Tanks and Chili dogs to everyone, Sonic reminds Mega Man of their previous encounter and how he beat him, with Mega Man thinking that he is exaggerating. Sticks trades conspiracy info with Xander and compares Sonic and Knuckles with the ones from her world. Wily muses on how Zero looks like something he'd make, Quake Woman and Nicole talk about feelings, Comedy Chimp struggles to get a laugh from Break Man, Antoine and Zero compare blades. X wishes he could contact Alia and Signas, so Sally, Roll, Cream and Nicole volunteer to take the role of Navigators. While checking the Robot Masters, Wily is surprised that from all of his creations, Shadow Man choose to stay on Dr. Light's side, who reveals he is still loyal to Wily and only went to their side to make it easier to betray the heroes.
Meanwhile, at the Lost Hex, Sigma is overseeing the production of his Mechaniloid army and uses his ever-increasing powers to resurrect Chill Penguin. While Chill Penguin's DNA Soul is not fully intact, he is functional and loyal to Sigma, which is all he needs. Zavok appears and informs Sigma of the Sky Patrol's approach. Too close to his next evolutionary phase to afford a distraction, Sigma orders his current army and the Deadly Six to stop them, and while the fodder buys time, he continues resurrecting more Reploids. Before long, the Sky Patrol arrives. Sigma's army heads out to stop them and the two sides engage in battle.
Crammed inside a single panel filled with characters from all three franchises, Sonic asks Mega Man if he thinks the crossover's getting just a little crowded.
- Onboard the Sky Patrol, the heroes figure that the merged world cannot last.
- Xander Payne ends up on the Lost Hex and rescues Dr. Eggman and Dr. Wily from the mind-controlled Deadly Six.
- Xander sends himself and the evil doctors to the Sky Patrol, and the heroes form a truce with them.
- The evil doctors reveal that Sigma's plan is to merge many more universes with more Unity Engines, then use a Master Engine to gain god-like power.
- All over the Sky Patrol, the heroes and villains from all four worlds interact. Nicole chats with Quake Woman, Comedy Chimp chats with Break Man, Sticks chats with Xander and compares Sonic and Knuckles with their counterparts from back home, and Antoine compares swords with Zero.
- Shadow Man reveals to Dr. Wily that he plans to double-cross the heroes.
- On the Lost Hex, Sigma resurrects the Maverick Chill Penguin.
- The heroes locate the Lost Hex, and prepare to strike.
Comedy Chimp: Y'know...an old showbiz saying comes to mind..."dying is easy, comedy is hard."
- This is the first issue of a main Archieverse Sonic title in which characters from Sonic Boom appear, in this case Sticks, Comedy Chimp and Fastidious Beaver. It also marks the first time a character from that universe appears on the cover (Sticks).
Cameos & References
- Mama Robotnik and the Mega Man from the 80s animated series Captain N: The Game Master make an appearance in the Off-Panel strip. They are accompanied by a number of characters who have no role in the crossover, including Mayor Fink, Bass, Dave the Intern, the Yellow Devil, and Charmy Bee.
- The title of this issue's story is a play on the common phrase "all in the same boat".
- X mentions his comrades Alia and Signas in this issue. The latter two appeared on the cover of Sonic Boom #8, but did not appear in the actual crossover.
- Archie Sonic Universe Issue 77 at Mega Man Knowledge Base
- Archie Sonic Universe Issue 77 at Sonic News Network