THE SONIC/MEGA MAN CROSSOVER EVENT BEGINS HERE! It's the epic first chapter of the biggest story in Sonic/Mega Man comic book history with "Worlds Unite" Part One! Get ready for cross-world treachery as the wicked Sigma escapes the world of Mega Man X and arrives in Dr. Eggman’s secret Lost Hex base! When Sigma promises new power to the Deadly Six, how long do you think they’ll stay loyal to Dr. Eggman? We’re not betting for long! And just where exactly are our heroes during all this? Looks like Sonic and Mega Man are right in the middle of an ambush! The sense-shattering sequel to “Worlds Collide” starts right now! Featuring cover art from the legendary Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante, Rafa Knight, and part 1 of the epic 12-part connecting variant cover series by artist Ben Bates!
- Worlds Unite - Part One: Across Time and Space
In Mega Man X's world, he and the Maverick Hunters head to Sigma's Fortress, taking Axl and Zero with him, claiming that they will stop the villain here and now. He dodges an attack by Vile, one of the ex-hunters, and Vile tries to hit him again, but Zero blocks his shot. X thanks Zero, before heading inside the fortress. Meanwhile, the virus Sigma is underneath a Genesis Portal, noting how Doctor Eggman had set things up for him by abusing the Zeti. X arrives to stop him, but Sigma escapes through the Genesis Portal.
In Sonic's world, the Blue Blur is running in Green Hill Zone searching for a Master Emerald shard, but runs out of land to run due to the Shattered World Crisis. He still runs down though, and finds a Flicky, and one of the Master Emerald's shards. As he climbs back up, he notes how they can't tell from Chaos Emeralds and the shards from a long range, and realizes they need to hurry and fix the planet. He is unaware of the Genesis Portal appearing above.
In Mega Man's world, he and Elec Man are restoring power to one of the generators in Light Labs. On Elec Man's mark, they restore the power, much to Roll's delight. Cut Man notes how fun it was to see Ice Man and Fire Man tag teaming as the heating and cooling units. Mega Man notes that after dealing with several crisis, things may be back to normal. Just then Guts Man and Concrete Man arrive, and Guts Man says that they were almost done repairing the east wing of the lab, and asks Mega Man to get more materials, since they ran out of some of them. Rock agrees to go into town and fetch supplies for Guts Man. Roll suggests he should take someone with him, but Rock questions why. Roll says that she just worries and Rock gives her a hug, reassuring her that Wily is dead and the Emerald Spears are in jail, so she has nothing to fear. She says that she knows, but it's still hard to let her guard down after so much has happened. Rock says that he understands and promises to head to town and come back as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, in Sonic's world, through Dr. Eggman's audio logs, we learn that he recently conquered the Lost Hex to "gain a new perspective on the shattered world problem" and enslaved the Zeti using the Cacophonic Conch. After they finished building him a base, however, Orbot shattered the Conch, leaving him defenseless against the Deadly Six. Before he can get angry at Orbot for the betrayal, though, he discovers that it's not actually Orbot, but Sigma controlling him. Sigbot says that he's been watching Eggman for a while and that he's in need of his expertise. He orders the Doctor to construct him a new body first of all. While in the process of the construction, Eggman learned that Sigma was from another, future world and that he's somehow gained power over the Genesis Portals. Eggman finishes work and Sigbot transfers to his new body, becoming Sigma-1.
Eggman tells Sigma that he can handle the rest of his plans by himself, but the mad Reploid says that he's no builder and that the Doctor has A LOT more work to do. Eggman starts to refuse, but Zavok brings him back in line, causing him to change his mindset and suggest that he's exhausted and can't do everything by himself. He requests some assistance. Sigma says that he has JUST the man for the job, pulling Wily out of a Genesis Portal, much to Albert's own confusion. Eggman's recognizes him from their previous encounter and laments his misfortune. Sigma has Zavok throw them into prison eggs so Eggman can rest and Wily can gain his bearings. Wily expresses frustration over being kidnapped into forced labor AGAIN, but Eggman tells him to quit his whining and that he has a plan that, if executed correctly, can allow them to make a fool of Sigma, taking advantage of Sonic, AND Mega Man and their abilities. Hearing the words "fool" and "Mega Man" in the same sentence is all Wily needed to jump on board.
The two Doctors begin construction together, transforming Eggman's Badnik assembly into a Mechaniloid factory (Much to Eggy's own disgust) and building special armor for the Deadly Six to enhance their powers. Eggman also reveals in his log that Sigma's installed a trap in the armor, so the Zeti will get theirs in due time. He also says that they'll need Sonic and Mega Man's power to oust Sigma, but they also don't need the blue duo in THEIR way.
Later, while the two Doctors discuss how exhausting constructing someone ELSE'S conquest is, Sigma looks upon the Deadly Six and gloats about his upcoming plan to consume the two worlds. Zavok, however, has objections. He says that he'd rather the Zeti be in charge and says that with his powers enhanced by the armor, he can even control Sigma. He tries to do just that, but it doesn't work, Sigma saying that they may be able to control his body, but his WILL shall never succumb to anything. He says that the same could not be said for the Deadly Six, though, as their eyes begin glowing in typical mind-control fashion thanks to the armor. Sigma says that he wasn't planning on playing his trump card that soon, but organic beings are so treacherous. He warns the Doctors that they should begin work on the "Unity Engines" or they'll suffer a similar fate. Eggman and Wily then put their plan into action, telling Sigma of the heroes of their worlds and that unless they do something about them, they're sure to get in the way. Sigma asks the two for suggestions on dealing with them, to which the Doctors say that they should nip them in the bud with a preemptive strike: Attack the heroes with the Deadly Six when they least suspect it through the Genesis portals and capture them to convert them into evil minions.
The plan goes into action as Rock is attacked on his way to the store and Sonic is ambushed at the Green Hill Zone. Back to the villains, Sigma gloats about his upcoming plan yet again and says that if X could only see what he'll become when he harnesses the power of both worlds to fuel his evolution. He asks the Doctors how their work is going and the issue ends with them presenting a captured Sonic and Mega Man unconscious in tubes while teasing about what they plan on doing to them.
With Sigma inside his body, Orbot is now an evil genius mastermind, but it does not last long as Sigma leaves his body to the new one created by Dr. Eggman. Cubot asks Orbot if he is still an evil genius mastermind, who replies by throwing a pie in his face. Ashamed, Orbot believes that he needs to step up in the evil game, but Cubot finds it impressive.
Sonic: Eh--gravity is just a theory anyway
Zavok: Pleasant nightmares. HAHAHA!
- In Mega Man X's world, Sigma flees in a Genesis Portal to the Lost Hex in the Prime Zone to put the finishing touches on his plan.
- Meanwhile, Sonic finds another shard of the Master Emerald (this event is retconned at the end of the story).
- Meanwhile, in Mega Man's world, Mega Man and his Robot Master siblings repair Dr. Light's lab after it was previously destroyed by one of Dr. Wily's creations.
- Dr. Eggman is revealed to have allied with the Deadly Six, whom he got to build him a base on the Lost Hex.
- Sigma reveals himself to Dr. Eggman, and uses his control over Orbot's body to smash the Cacophonic Conch relinquishing Eggman's control over the Deadly Six.
- Dr. Eggman is forced to build a new body for Sigma.
- Sigma abducts Dr. Wily (whose memories of Worlds Collide have been completely erased) so that he and Eggman can work together again, much to the annoyance of Eggman (who still remembers the event).
- The evil doctors build armor for the Deadly Six, which Sigma can easily use to control them.
- Sigma sends the brainwashed Deadly Six to capture Sonic and Mega Man for his plot.
- Eggman and Wily prepare to change Sonic and Mega Man into a new Roboticized Master and a similar hybrid of Robot Master tech and Eggman tech respectively.
- Sigma's forces at his fortress include various background characters from the Mega Man X series.
- This issue features second appearances by several of the Light Robot Masters, including Roll and Concrete Man, the latter of whom previously appearing as part of the Robot Master Army.
- Sigma's statement about having "traditional eight commanders" under his control is a reference to the amount of Mavericks he commonly recruits in each game title.
- Despite appearing in the 1st Variant cover, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Sally, Shadow, Rush, Top Man, Spark Man and Quake Woman are nowhere to be seen in the actual issue.
This issue has been reprinted in the following places:
- From the perspective of the Mega Man universe, this issue takes after "Prisoners of War" (MM: #49).
- The events of pages 1-3 are continued in "Maverick Hunters Versus Vile" (WUB: MM)
- Pages 17 and 18 are elaborated upon in "Sonic the Hedgehog vs. Three of the Armoured Deadly Six!" (WUB: StH) and "Mega Man vs. Deadly 3" (WUB: MM) respectively.
- Archie Sonic Universe Issue 76 at Mega Man Knowledge Base
- Archie Sonic Universe Issue 76 at Sonic News Network