Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Archie Sonic Universe Issue 75 is the seventy-fifth issue of the Archie Sonic Universe comic series.
"Fury": The race is on as Sonic chases down Metal Sonic for one of the sought–after Chaos Emeralds! But when their chase takes them to a very unexpected place, Sonic’s worth as a hero may be put to the test! Can Sonic win the day, secure the emerald and retain his sense of self by the end? As our journey to WORLDS UNITE crashes to a close, join us in celebrating the longest-running Sonic the Hedgehog spin-off comic in history with 7.5 variant covers from your favorite Sonic artists! Featuring cover art from Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante, Tracy Yardley, Ben Bates, Tyson Hesse, EGA Studios, Patrick Thomas Parnell, Lamar Wells, Evan Stanley and Jonathan H. Gray! To name a few!
In Crystal Desert Zone, Sonic, Tails, and Bunnie are chasing Metal Sonic, who has the Cyan Chaos Emerald. Sonic vows not to let Metal get away, since Eggman already has one emerald and that was bad enough. Nearby, the rest of the Freedom Fighters are at a G.U.N unit and are helping the soldiers from recovering. Sally gets a call from Rouge, who asks her what had happened. Sally reports that Metal Sonic attacked the unit and stole the emerald. Rouge comments that she should be present for any 'gem-centric' missions. Sally tells Rouge to send support for the wounded. Rouge asks about Metal Sonic, and Sally responds saying that Sonic, Tails, and Bunnie are after him. Meanwhile, Metal Sonic detects a Genesis Portal, and marks it as a possible escape route. Metal Sonic speeds up, and the gang try to catch up with him, Bunnie tries to shoot at Metal, but misses. Suddenly, a Genesis Portal appears, and Sonic tackles his metal doppleganger, causing both of them to go inside the portal.
They end up in the Burning Ruin Zone, where Sonic finds Silver closing the portal. Both are suprised to see each other, but Metal kicks Sonic hard and escapes. Silver comes to his aid, and Sonic tells him to grab Metal Sonic. Silver comments that he already left, and apologizes for not expecting both of them to come thorugh the portal. Sonic is confused, and Silver explains that he was closing all the Genisis Portals that he could find, and with Metal Sonic stuck with them, he won't be able to escape. Sonic is disappointed in this, but Silver points out (with a hologram) that there are three budding Genesis Portals. Sonic asks if one of those portals will lead him back home. Silver says he had been closing a lot of portals, and most of them came from his world. As both run to find Metal Sonic, Sonic asks Silver why he would 'waste his time' closing the portals, and Silver fears that someone might get lost in them, to which Sonic agrees. Sonic tells Silver about the current events going on, just as the two reach the area where the portals are, much to Sonic's relief. Sonic plans to wait for Metal Sonic to detect the Portals, and then ambush him. However, Sonic rethinks his plan, since Metal is based on him.
The heroes were unaware that Metal was already behind them and the robot attacks them, just as the three portals start forming. As Metal heads for the portals, Silver stops him with his Telekinesis. But Metal Sonic uses his Black Shield to break free and taunts Silver. This proves to be a distraction, for Sonic arrives and kicks the emerald out of Metal's hands. Sonic tells Silver to find out where the portals go to, while he and Metal race for the emerald. The two try to get to the emerald, but before anyone could get to it, Silver snatches it with his telekinesis and taunts Metal Sonic. The robot is then hit by Sonic and kicked to the lava. Sonic asks Silver where the portals go to, and he points to the correct one. Sonic forms a new plan, just as Metal Sonic survives the Lava with his Burst Shield. Sonic taunts Metal, and the robot chases both hedgehogs to the portals. Silver wonders if antagonizing him is going to work, and Sonic explains that since Metal is based on him, he won't give up, just like Sonic, however, he adds that he does know when to stop running. The two hedgehogs dodge Metal Sonic as he goes into one of the wrong portals.
Metal Sonic ends up in a space world, and tries to go back to the portal, but is too late, for Silver had closed it. Back in the Burning Ruin Zone, Silver guides Sonic back to the right portal, and just before Sonic leaves, he asks Silver whether the Portals will be fixed. He responds with a question, if he told Sonic that he was destined to fail, would he give up? Sonic said he'd fight his destiny. Sonic then bids Silver goodbye, as he goes back to his world. Silver closes the portal, and wishes Sonic good luck, knowing that he could do it. He goes into the other portal, and ends up in a snowy world. Back in Crystal Desert Zone, Sally makes a plan to find the Genesis Portals. Before she could finish, A Genesis portal arrives in front of them, and Sonic comes out of it, with the emerald. Amy was happy to see Sonic again, but comments that he smells like a fireplace. Sally expresses her gratitude, as Sonic gives Tails the emerald, as he asks what happened to Metal, Sonic does not know, but they do not have to worry about him for a while. Antoine is concerned that the planet is still in pieces and that they have not found a single Gaia Temple. Bunnie tells him to focus on the small victories as Sonic agrees with her. He says that they are the Freedom Fighters, and they are qualified to handle anything.
Meanwhile, Eggman is annoyed that Metal Sonic is lost in another dimension. He asks Orbot for a sandwich, to which the robot complies, while saying that the real work can begin.
- Metal Sonic finds the cyan Chaos Emerald.
- Sonic chases Metal Sonic through a Genesis Portal leading to the Burning Ruin Zone and meets up with Silver.
- With Silver's help, Sonic manages to retrieve the Chaos Emerald, send Metal Sonic packing through another portal into an unknown zone, and return to the Freedom Fighters.
- Silver enters a Genesis Portal which takes him to yet another unknown location.
- At an Eggman base in yet another unknown location, Orbot is secretly being controlled by a villainous entity from the future of another world, and is preparing to initiate a plan along with Zavok of the Deadly Six. (This event doesn't occur in the post-Worlds Unite version of the story)
- This is the Sonic Universe series' third milestone issue, as well as the third standalone issue.
- This is also the second milestone issue to involve Metal Sonic and the second to take place right before a Mega Man crossover.
- This is also the first Sonic Universe landmark issue to not be released in a landmark anniversary year (#25 was released within the Sonic franchises 20th anniversary year, and #50 was released in the Archie Sonic comics own 20th anniversary year).
- This issue holds the record for the most variant covers, with eight.
- Despite being the last Sonic-related issue chronologically to take place before Worlds Unite, it was actually the first to be released.
- This marks Silver's first appearance in the comic since StH#251 and his first proper appearance in the Post-Super Genesis Wave Timeline.
- According to Ian Flynn, the events of this issue still occur in the continuity after the events of the Worlds Unite crossover is self-retconned, the only exception being the final scene of Eggman on the Lost Hex, as the Doctor decides after the retcon that he'd hold off on the invasion for a while.
- Mega Man: Worlds Unite Battles Issue 1 reveals that Silver ended up in Earth 21XX, home to Mega Man X.
Cameos and References
- The third variant cover artwork is loosely inspired by the Japanese and Europeon boxarts for Sonic CD.
- The sixth variant cover artwork is an homage to the opening credits page of Sonic the Hedgehog #25.
- References are made yet again to two famous lines from the Sonic video games: Metal Sonic tells Silver "It's no use" (the line most commonly uttered by Silver himself during his boss battles in Sonic 06) and later Silver retorts by telling Metal that "You're too slow!" (Sonic's infamous taunt in Super Smash Bros. Brawl).
- "Fury" picks up from where "Ray of Hope" (StH#272) left off.
- The events of "Fury" still occur in the timeline after the events of "Worlds Unite" is erased, with the exception of the final page, as Eggman decided to hold off on invading the Lost Hex after the paradox occurs.