Archie Sonic Universe Issue 70 is the seventieth issue of the Archie Sonic Universe comic series.
The FIRST EVER SONIC UNIVERSE TRILOGY reaches its stunning conclusion in 'Total Eclipse' Part Four! Knuckles and Shadow must end their duel-because Eclipse has escaped with the Master Emerald! Can the two chaos-fueled warriors stand up to the power of the Dark Arms? Knuckles may be forced into the one choice he doesn't want to make! Don't miss the sense-shattering finale that will change the shattered world crisis and the Sonic comic landscape as we know it! Featuring stunning new cover art from Yardley, Amash and Hunzeker, plus an awesome SEGA art variant featuring two of the biggest 'Total Eclipse' stars: Knuckles and Rouge!
- Total Eclipse - Finale: "Last Resort"
Knuckles and Shadow continue their bout in the Marble Garden Zone, with Shadow trying to convince Knuckles to give up the Master Emerald and seek out a new purpose. Knuckles, however, refuses to give up his duty and his island, but is halted in his efforts to expel Shadow from the island as he senses that the Master Emerald has been moved. He is immediately angry with Shadow, who contacts his teammates to learn their status. Fixit informs Rouge of this, but the Bat is busy having a patched up Omega replace her dislocated shoulder. The irate Rouge then informs Shadow that Omega had his Chaos Drive ripped out by Eclipse and that Snively's Tele-Pod has been destroyed. She then berates both Shadow and Knuckles for fighting instead of using reason, and the two humbled heroes quickly begin analyzing the situation. The two begin making their way to Launch Base to meet Eclipse, while the others-at Relic's suggestion-head to a hidden facility to activate some of the island's traps to slow Eclipse and the Dark Arms down.
After discovering the ancient control center-which prompts a comment from Relic about Trolls-Knuckles and Shadow's allies activate various defenses while Knuckles and Shadow make their way towards Team Dark's landing point. Eclipse and the Dark Arms manage to fight their way through the traps-including the Guardian of Sandopolis Zone-only to be intercepted by the pair of Mobians. Eclipse engages them with Blurk, Cyzer, and Cregal's powers, but their previous exertions leave them greatly weakened. Knuckles, meanwhile, realizes that whoever wins the battle between Shadow and Eclipse will still threaten the Master Emerald, and so he reluctantly calls upon the power of Chaos Control to shatter and scatter the gemstone once again, vowing to restore it. He and Shadow then turn their attention on a weakened Eclipse, but are driven off by the unexpected power of Rhygenta. Eclipse then boards Team Dark's shuttle and makes his getaway, landing in a swamp on the surface.
G.U.N. forces arrive to collect Eclipse's crashed saucer, only for Knuckles to recognize Snively's voice and order them to get off the island once he's done. After bidding goodbye to Rouge, he informs Relic of his intent to find the Master Emerald shards. She volunteers to stay on the island until he returns, while he vows to recover the gem fragments before the Knothole Freedom Fighters restore the planet and cause the island to fall.
In the aftermath of the issue, Knuckles is found searching for Master Emerald Shards near the shrine. Rouge commandeers Relic's laptop and discovers a Professor Pickle fan page, while Chip vandalizes the Hidden Palace Zone before the horrified eyes of Tikal.
- It's revealed that Julian Snively still worked with Dr. Eggman at some point and was involved in the events of Sonic 3 & Knuckles in some way in the Post-Super Genesis Wave Timeline.
- After learning about Eclipse taking the Master Emerald, Knuckles and Shadow call off their battle in a draw, and begin to search for him.
- Rouge and Relic use ancient technology to slow Eclipse down and allow Knuckles and Shadow to catch up with him.
- Knuckles shatters the Master Emerald to prevent the Dark Arms from using it, or G.U.N from stealing it. However, due to the Shattered World Crisis, Angel Island continues to float with the rest of the floating land chunks.
- Eclipse and his Dark Arms manage to get away on the G.U.N ship and land in a nearby swamp.
- Knuckles makes it his goal to gather the missing shards of the Master Emerald before Sonic and his pals put the planet back together.
- This is the second time the Master Emerald has been shattered in the comic (the first time being in Sonic the Hedgehog #79), although it's actually the third time from the Post-Super Genesis Wave Timeline point of view (first in Sonic Adventure, then again in Sonic Adventure 2).
- Relic mentions Trolls and their affinity for during her conversations with Rouge. This was taken as evidence for the theory-later confirmed-that Walter Naugus is a Troll in the new reality.