formatting it to ensure it meets the site's criteria.
Archie Sonic Universe Issue 3 is the third issue of the spin-off Sonic Universe comic series.
- "Old Soldiers"
Commander Abraham Tower is in the briefing room of G.U.N. HQ with Shadow the Hedgehog and Rouge the Bat, explaining the situation regarding E-102 Gamma while Dr. Eggman does the same in his Eggdome with E-123 Omega. They explain to their respective viewers that E-102 Gamma was originally an elite fighting robot that served and was built by Eggman, until he went rogue after the Egg Carrier crashed and destroyed as many of the other E-100 Series as he could. Once he had destroyed the last known E-100, he traveled all over Mobius fighting the Eggman Empire and performing good deeds such as secretly helping the Downunda Freedom Fighters, but has never openly helped or allied with anyone.
Commander Tower wishes to change that by recruiting Gamma and offering the failing robot asylum and sends out Shadow to find him, but Eggman has other plans. He orders Omega to find and destroy Gamma. At first the robot refuses, saying that Eggman had put him in storage for over a year and that he was made to destroy Sonic the Hedgehog, not to perform this lower task. Eggman then threatens Omega that he'll put him into storage for another decade if he doesn't do as he's ordered.
Feeling distraught about not being able to turn Metal Sonic to his side, Shadow sets off alone at once to find Gamma in a GUN helicopter, as does Omega with his jet boosters. After Omega is gone, Snively questions whether or not sending Omega to destroy Gamma was a wise idea as he was so powerful, but Eggman says that he doesn't want anything interrupting his rematch with Sonic. Snively then says that Lien-Da and the Dark Egg Legion are ready to engage the advancing Freedom Fighters and Chaotix, giving Eggman just enough time to press his scarf.
Shadow is dropped off at the mountains and finds Gamma after he prepared to fire on him, and explains that he didn't shoot because Shadow was an enemy of Dr. Eggman after he fell for his tracks-in-the-snow trap. Shadow notices that Gamma is damaged, and convinces him to go GUN's extraction point after convincing him he can do better with aid. They head off through the snow, but Gamma picks up an Eggman Empire radio signature and Omega bursts through the trees, grappling with Shadow. Gamma flees to the extraction point while Shadow holds off Omega. When Omega challenged Shadow, he tricked him into thinking he would fire on him after he induced his spin-dash, but instead loaded him into his cannon and catapulted him into the sky.
While Shadow is gone, the two robots threaten each other over their radios and Omega says that he is superior to his brother. Gamma then retaliates that all Omega's advantages have their disabilities, and that his own disadvantages give him an edge in silent tactics and assassination in opposition to mass destruction. He proves his point by taking three precise blasts at Omega and sends him to the ground. Gamma then admits that he is old and weak, just as his brother said, and that those against Eggman will need something more.
Gamma tries to explain how robots can have souls, but Omega has little care for his weaker brother's words. Shadow rushes back to rescue Gamma, but Omega blasts a full barrage of ammo at Gamma, destroying him. However, despite his brother's destruction, Gamma's soul has merged with Omega turning him into a kinder robot, with no intent on destroying the world.
Shadow explains to Omega to turn against the doctor for wasting his potential as a killing machine and helps him build a grave for Gamma. The duo are taken back to GUN, with Omega joining the team. Later, Shadow is in the GUN rec room with Hope Kintobor, who just finished her analysis of Omega, and Rouge talking about the recent events. Finally, Rouge explains to Shadow that they will be heading to the Special Zone to retrieve another Chaos Emerald.
The Off Panel appears to take place during Hope's earlier analysis of Omega while Commander Tower watches and assists. Hope decides to ask Omega what he was doing before his mission to destroy Gamma, and Omega reveals that he performed janitorial duties by "cleansing" any filth and grime he detected by unleashing his arsenal on it. A worried Hope and Tower then say that they already have a janitor and that Omega should remain as part of Team Dark. Omega accepts this, but says that the readers should have a say too and should write in or e-mail them to find out what they think.
- Eggman: Your mission is to find that traitor and reduce it to slag! That should prove simple enough for you.
- E-123 Omega: I refuse!
- Eggman: You can't turn traitor already! You haven't even been active for twenty-four hours!
- E-123 Omega: Exactly. I have been in storage for over a year. I was designed to destroy Sonic the Hedgehog. Why is my first mission not to destroy Sonic the Hedgehog?
- Eggman: Because the rodent is mine! Now do as you're told or I'll put you back in storage for another decade!
- Commander Abraham Tower: You deploy as soon as you're prepared.
- Shadow the Hedgehog: I'm on my way to the hangar, then.
- Commander Tower: You don't want any support?
- Shadow: Please. I am the ultimate lifeform. I can handle this alone. (thinks to himself) That, and after failing to save Metal Sonic, I need to prove to myself that I can do this. I will not let another living weapon be lost.
- Snively: Are you sure this is wise, sir? E-123 has more firepower than all of the old Badnik horde combined.
- Eggman: I don't want anything distracting me or my new weapon from my much-needed rematch with the rodent.
- Snively: Of course. In that case, Lein-Da reports that the Dark Egg Legion is about to engage the advancing Freedom Fighters.
- Eggman: Perfect! That will give me just enough time to press my scarf!
- E-123 Omega: Oh. I have located the decrepit mission objective. Wonderful.
- E-123 Omega: Surrender, brother. Do not embarrass yourself further. A single one of my shots would tear through that old armor of yours. I detect smoke. Is that your grav-linked jet disc? Pathetic. You would not get far with it, even if it were in perfect condition. You are outdated, brother. Slower, weaker. You cannot outrun me... ...and that pitiful gun of yours cannot harm me.
- E-102 Gamma: E-123, codename Omega. The last of my line. I downloaded your file. Your armor is heavy-- but so are you. Your speed is great-- but you're unwieldy. Your jets are stronger-- but you're louder. I do not have such limitations. I am nimble. I cover ground more easily. As for weaponry...(takes three precise shots at Omega, toppling him to the ground) You are a walking arsenal. I am an assassin.
- E-123 Omega: (to Shadow) If you tell anyone in G.U.N. I made a grave marker, or whined about my place in the world, I will turn you into linked sausage.
- E-123 Omega: Filth and grime detected. Prepare to be cleansed!
- E-102 Gamma is revealed to be alive after rescuing Amy Rose and leaving the Egg Carrier.
- E-123 Omega is sent to find and destroy Gamma after being left in storage for a year.
- Shadow is dispatched by G.U.N. to find Gamma in the remote mountains.
- E-102 Gamma is destroyed.
- E-123 Omega gains E-102 Gamma's soul and free will and joins G.U.N. in place of Gamma.
- This marks Gamma's first appearance since SSS: #13.
- As well, this issue retcons Gamma's fate in said issue as an Editor's Note in SSS #13 stated that Gamma's story continued in the actual Sonic Adventure game. Here, it's obvious that he rescued his brothers and fought E-101 Beta, but survived.
- This marks the first appearance of E-123 Omega in the comic, after writers have been trying to get him in for some time.
- This issue takes place during the events of StH: #199.
- In the game the Flicky bird that was trapped inside Gamma was pink, however here it is brown.
- Walt Wallabee makes a brief cameo, and is the first of the Downunda Freedom Fighters to make an appearance in Sonic Universe.
- The cover of this issue features characters who were each introduced in different console games that were essentially part of a series: Gamma debuted in Sonic Adventure, Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2, and Omega in Sonic Heroes.
- This is the first issue of the series not to feature Sonic on the cover.
This issue has been reprinted in the following places:
"Old Soldiers" occurs at the same time as "Knocking On Eggman's Door" (StH#199).
|Sonic the Hedgehog (StH)||
|Sonic Universe (SU)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 ||
|Sonic Boom (SB)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 ||
|Sonic X (SX)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 ||
|Knuckles the Echidna (KtE)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 ||
|Tie-Ins||Sabrina: 28 | Mega Man: 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 50 | 51 | 52 ||
|Mini-Series||Sonic Miniseries: 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | Sally Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Tails Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Knuckles Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Sonic Quest Miniseries: 1 | 2 | 3 | Battles: MM | StH ||
|One-shot Specials||Sonic In Your Face | Sonic & Knuckles | Sonic Triple Trouble | Knuckles' Chaotix | Super Sonic vs Hyper Knuckles | Sonic & Knuckles: Mecha Madness | Sonic Live! | Sonic Blast | Mega Drive | Mega Drive- The Next Level ||
|Sonic Super Specials (SSS)||1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 ||
|Free Comic Specials (FCBD/HCF)||Sonic #1/4 | Archie Mini 98 | Archie Mini 99 | Secret Rings | Sonic FCBD 07 | Sonic FCBD 08 | Sonic FCBD 09 | Sonic FCBD 10 | Sonic FCBD 11 | Sonic FCBD 12 | Sonic FCBD 13 | Sonic HCF 13 | Sonic FCBD 14 | SB: Digital | Sonic FCBD 15 | Sonic FCBD 16|
|Sonic Super Special Magazine
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 ||
|Sonic Super Digest
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 ||
|Reprints & Compilations||Sonic Archives | Sonic Saga Series | Sonic the Hedgehog Graphic Novel Series | Sonic Select | Sonic Universe Graphic Novel Series | Sonic Boom Graphic Novel Series | Knuckles Archives | Sonic Legacy Series | Best of Sonic the Hedgehog | Sonic Comics Spectacular | Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide | Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Unite | Archie Digital Exclusives | Standalone Graphic Novels ||
|International Versions||France | Germany | United Kingdom ||
|Other||Variant Covers | Sonic Comic Book Packs | Sonic Comic App | Video Games | The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia ||