formatting it to ensure it meets the site's criteria.
Archie Sonic Universe Issue 2 is the second issue of the spin-off Sonic Universe comic series.
The second issue of the new, ever-expanding, all-encompassing series revolving around Sonic's many friends and foes, with continuity aligning with the regular monthly Sonic comic. It is the eve of Sonic's big confrontation with Dr. Robotnik, but Shadow and Rouge have other plans. As the three of them embark on a crucial midnight raid, readers will have the opportunity to simultaneously look back on a time when Sonic and Shadow weren't so friendly as they witness the lost tale of their battle for the ARK! It's deja vu all over again as the present and past run parallel in this high-action tale!
- "Time and Again"
- Past - One Year Ago
- These events are shown as flashbacks throughout the comic.
Sonic confronts Shadow on Prison Island in the White Jungle. After some discussion, the two battle all around the area and Rouge reports into Shadow saying she's found the other six Chaos Emeralds in the vault.
Sometime during the battle Dr. Eggman calls up Shadow on his communicator and tells him the charges have been set and that the island will blow in five minutes. Rouge then says that the vault she's in has gone into lock-down. Eggman says to leave Rouge and that they'll dig the emeralds out of the ashes. Overhearing this, Sonic proposes a temporary truce with Shadow to help save Rouge. They use their spin dashes to burrow inside the vault where Rouge is with the Chaos Emeralds in a bag and Shadow grabs the bag and uses Chaos Control to teleport them to the desert near Eggman's pyramid base. Rouge flirts with Shadow for rescuing her saying it was unlike him, he then says that he only did it for the emeralds and uses Chaos Control again to teleport off.
Sonic and Rouge then team up to get inside Eggman's base and find Eggman. Later, Sonic is inside the base dodging laser attacks from an E-100 Series robot that looked remarkably like Gamma, asking Rouge on his communicator if she's found the key yet. They do find the key and they fly up to the Space Colony ARK in a rocket in Eggman's pyramid base.
Sonic and Shadow are racing down a narrow strip outside the ARK to get to the Eclipse Cannon while fighting each other. Just after Shadow struck Sonic with a Chaos Spear attack, Rouge tells him to stop as she has found a video that he should see. Later, Sonic and Shadow are aboard the ARK in a room with some sort of shrine in it along with the seven Chaos Emeralds. A huge beast uses Chaos Control to disappear and Rouge tells them it has merged to the ARK. Sonic and Shadow then use the emeralds to transform into Super Sonic and Super Shadow and fight the monster. Super Sonic and Super Shadow then use Chaos Control to put the ARK back into orbit, but Shadow then falls to Mobius.
Following their orders from Chief Commander Abraham Tower earlier, Shadow and Rouge set out to the ruins of New Megaopolis to destroy a large telescope in an observatory that had been converted into a laser - the Doom Laser, capable of destroying the Knothole Freedom Fighters's force field, the camp inside it, and half of the Eggdome itself. In order to complete this mission, Shadow recruited the help of Sonic. The blue hedgehog used his spin dash technique to burrow underneath the shield and outside. Shadow informs him of the mission and Sonic proceeded to race off to the laser, leaving Shadow behind before catching up to him.
Outside the observatory where the Doom Laser is being kept, Sonic and Rouge discuss its capabilities while waiting for Shadow. Sonic believes it to be a bit over the top for Eggman to build something so powerful that could destroy his base in the process. Shadow then shows and informs Sonic that GUN believes Eggman to be losing his grip on reality. Sonic disagrees, and Shadow says he can believe what he wants, but that he shouldn't underestimate Eggman. Rouge then said they should psychoanalyze Eggman later, and the trio crashed into the observatory and Sonic and Shadow distracted the laser security system while Rouge tried to hack into the laser just as it was moving into position. Rouge then accidentally activated a self-destruct on the control console. She then suggests destroying the Doom Laser in a more devastating fashion. Shadow, agreeing, then used his Chaos Spear attack, but it proved inaffective and the same went for Sonic's spin dash. Rouge then suggested breaking the coupling locks to throw the laser off target. With both Hedgehogs in hand, Rouge flew them up to the locks and Sonic and Shadow managed to dislodged them, but intsead put it right at the angle of fire, much to their dismay.
Shadow then took off his Inhibitor Rings in the hopes that it would give him enough power to divert the laser using his Chaos Control powers. Shadow's plan worked, but he fell off the laser and was caught by Sonic saying that they weren't going through Shadow falling to his death again. With the laser beyond repair from all the damage, Shadow and Rouge left Sonic to his final battle with Eggman and wished him good luck. Rouge then marvelled at how far Sonic and Shadow's relationship had come and then headed back to GUN.
Sonic and Shadow are reading over this issue's script while drinking sodas, and Sonic points out that Sonic Adventure 2 came out in 2001, but yet Archie are only getting around to it now. He then jokes that they'll probably do Sonic Heroes in 2010. Knuckles then comes up to the two and says that he doesn't appear until #9 and yet Sonic's in the second issue and he isn't despite the fact that he was in Sonic Adventure 2 too. Sonic looks to Shadow for back-up, but Shadow uses Chaos Control to teleport away and Sonic races off to get away from an enraged Knuckles, while telling the readers to either write in or e-mail Archie to tell them what they think of Sonic Universe.
- Sonic: I found you, Faker!
- Shadow: Faker? I think you're the fake hedgehog around here. You're comparing yourself to me? You're not even good enough to be my fake.
- Sonic: I'll make you eat those words!
- Sonic, Shadow and Rouge destroy the Doom Laser.
- In a flashback, Super Sonic and Super Shadow stop the world from being destroyed.
- This is the first Sonic Universe issue in which Sonic himself appears, excluding cover art and flashbacks.
- This issue ties in directly with StH: #198. Shadow comes to Sonic who is asleep under the protective forcefield with the other Freedom Fighters, outside New Megaopolis. This is where we last left the Freedom Fighters at the end StH: #198.
- Although the video Shadow was shown a year ago was never seen, some believe it to have been the video from the 2005 video game Shadow the Hedgehog that showed Professor Gerald revealing to Shadow his purpose to protect the planet from the Black Arms. This is disputed somewhat by the fact that Shadow does not become aware of this purpose until StH: #171.
- This issue completes the adaption of Sonic Adventure 2, which started in StH: #98, taking into account the absence of Tails, Amy Rose, and Knuckles, (despite the latter's protest in the Off-Panel). The reasons for their absence were given in issues 90, and issues 94-issues 97,
- Though not shown, assuming this was as close to Sonic Adventure 2 as possible given the limitations above, this was when the moon was damaged, as shown at the end of StH: #129.
- The beast that guarded the shrine room with the emeralds was known as the Biolizard in the video game, Sonic Adventure 2. It was a prototype of the ultimate life form. It is considered tier 2 canon by this site's canon policy, as it does not contradict already established canon from tier 1.
- The shrine room that the beast guarded was based on the power generator for the Eclipse Cannon in the video game, Sonic Adventure 2. It was fashioned after the shrine of the Master Emerald to harness the energy of the Chaos Emeralds. It is considered tier 2 canon by this site's canon policy, as it does not contradict already established canon from tier 1.
- Shadow mentions Eggman 'losing his grip on reality', a foreshadowing of what was to come in StH #200.
- This issue was released two weeks after the release of StH: #198, exactly 100 issues after the beginning of the Sonic Adventure 2 adaption in StH: #98.
- The lines spoken by Sonic and Shadow at the beginning of the issue were taken directly from a cutscene from Sonic Adventure 2.
- In the off-panel, Sonic jokes that they would finally get around to adapting the game Sonic Heroes in 2010. While no such adaption ever happened in that year (or has yet to happen since), it's interesting to note that "Treasure Team Tango" (#21-24), an arc that borrows elements from the game, was published in 2010.
This issue has been reprinted in the following places:
- The main present day scenes of "Time & Again" takes place directly between "Egg Phoenix Down" (StH#198) and "Knocking On Eggman's Door" (StH#199).
- The flashback scenes take place between "Sonic Adventure 2" (StH#98) and "Blow by Blow" (StH#99).