It slices! It dices! It joins line-wide crossover events: it's SONIC BOOM! "Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Unite" Part Two: It was just another day at the races—y’know, the ones with the giant spider-mechs? Things start to get weird, even for the lovable, paranoid Sticks, when X and the Maverick Hunters arrived! Meanwhile, the epic bromance of the century is rekindled as the captured Drs. Eggman and Wily are forced to turn their life-long nemeses—Sonic and Mega Man—into minions for the terrifying Sigma! After the history-making "WORLDS COLLIDE" crossover event, Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man unite once more—and this time Sonic Boom and Mega Man X are joining the fray! Featuring cover art from the legendary Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante, a special "happy fun time crossover" variant by Ryan Jampole and part 2 of the epic 12-part connecting variant cover series by artist Ben Bates!
- Worlds Unite - Part Two: Broken Heroes
In the Sonic Boom Zone, Dr. Eggman's latest scheme has been thwarted by Sticks the Badger and her teammates. However, Sticks is sent flying, and after hitting a tree witnesses the opening of a Genesis Portal. She conceals herself as the Maverick Hunters X, Zero, and Axl emerge from it, the trio noting that they are clearly in a different world, but that they haven't reached the world that Sigma fled to. After briefly discussing their arrival at the wrong destination-and Silver the Hedgehog's involvement in their making the trip-Zero is hit by one of Sticks' boomerangs. Sticks is determined not to let them cause any harm, but X soon sets her straight, and the Badger claims that this occurrence is fulfillment of a vision she had that was dismissed as a dream by her friends. She then recruits Comedy Chimp and Fastidious Beaver to join her as the members of Team Sticks, and together with the Maverick Hunters they travel to Eggman's island base. While searching for a means of opening another Genesis Portal, they run into Orbot and Cubot, who challenge the invaders only to be faced with Zero.
"Persuaded" to help the six allies, Orbot and Cubot use one of their Eggman's devices to open a new Genesis Portal, which the heroes then travel through. Back on Mobius, Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik and Dr. Albert W. Wily are preparing to turn Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man into new members of the Roboticized Masters. During the course of their efforts, Eggman learns that Wily retains no memories of their previous alliance, which also took place in the Post-Super Genesis Wave Timeline of Mobius. Through some cunning deception, he convinces Wily that they were previously broken apart through lies spread by Dr. Light, and their former bromance is restored. The pair then implement a plan to program Sonic and Mega Man to attack each other and restore each other to normal after they've undergone Roboticization, as well as convince them that Sigma was solely responsible for their capture and corruption. They then invite Sigma in to witness the transformation of the heroes, which is accomplished using technology from his future. Sonic and Mega Man were then transformed.
Back on Earth 20XX, Dr. Light and Roll grow increasingly concerned over Mega Man's prolonged absence, only to see a news report informing them that Sonic Man is attacking Mega City. The Light Robot Masters are quickly marshaled, as Sonic Man easily deals with the police department. On Mobius, the Knothole Freedom Fighters are similarly concerned by Sonic's absence, only to receive word from King Acorn that Mobotropolis is under attack. The culprit turns out to be M'egga Man, who has decimated the Royal Guard and set his sights on Castle Acorn.
Sticks examines Sonic and asks him about his beige arms. She later irritates Knuckles by telling him he needs to work out. She then sees Amy marveling at a picture of Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic Boom version), and tells her to chill out. She then looks at her own picture, saying that the world was not ready for two Sticks' (though she has trouble saying her name in plural), and claims she is one of a kind.
Fastidious Beaver: Is it really necessary we be here for this?
Comedy Chimp: Th-Think of it as exposure, my friend! N-No such thing as bad publicity!
- With help from Silver, Mega Man X, Zero and Axl arrive on Bygone Island in the world of Sonic Boom, where they meet Sticks the Badger.
- After being convinced of their good alignment, Sticks decides to help out the Hunters in bringing down Sigma, hastily grabbing Fastidious Beaver and Comedy Chimp to help out.
- After sneaking into Eggman's (Boom version) base, they use a device to create another Genesis Portal.
- It's revealed that the events of Worlds Collide happened in the Post-SGW World, though with a different course of events leading up to it, specifically tying in with where the game Sonic Generations left off.
- Dr. Eggman refreshes Dr. Wily's memory about Worlds Collide, though lies about his attempt to kill Dr. Light to restore his friendship with Wily.
- The evil doctors sneak in a bit of coding into the converted heroes so that when they see each other, they will shoot at each other.
- Fully converted into soldiers of Sigma's army, Sonic Man and M'egga Man are ordered to head to each other's worlds to wreck havoc.
- Dr. Light sends his Robot Masters to deal with Sonic Man, while King Acorn calls the Freedom Fighters to face M'egga Man.
- This is the first issue in which Sonic doesn't make an appearance on the cover (or in this case, the Sonic Boom version of Sonic). In fact, Sticks is the only Sonic Boom character to appear on the cover.
- The first two pages are condensed versions of the last four pages of the previous issue.
- Despite appearing on the main cover, neither Signas nor Alia appeared in the issue, nor do they appear in the actual crossover.
Cameos & References
- Just prior to encountering Team Sticks and the Maverick Hunters, Cubot complains about Dr. Eggman wanting "seven-point-five paint jobs" for a single robot with his reasoning being "I need more variants!" This is a playful jab to Sonic Universe #75 and its seven "and a half" covers.
- Just before "recruiting" Comedy Chimp and Fastidious Beaver, Sticks's presence in the bush mirrors Knuckles the Echidna's hidden presence in the box art for Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- In addition, just before they were "recruited", Comedy Chimp and Fastidious Beaver were commenting on a "corny line" from the prior issue of Sonic Boom being comedic gold.
- This marks the first time Archie-exclusive characters from the main Sonic comic universe have appeared in the Boom series, with Sally, Nicole and King Acorn all making appearances.
Errors & Mistakes
- Dr. Eggman's flashback to how he first met Wily is stated to take place directly after the ending of Sonic Generations, leading to this continuity's version of Worlds Collide. Silver the Hedgehog was also in Generations, but according to Tails in issue #252, he was last seen during the events of Sonic Colors DS; which ended with Dr. Eggman discovering the Time Eater for the first time (as shown in Generations).
- One possible explanation is that Eggman never stumbled across the Time Eater following the events of Colors in this continuity.
- Another explanation could be that Silver never partook in the events of Generations in this continuity.
This issue has been reprinted in the following places:
- The Maverick Hunters arrival in the Sonic Boom zone occurs, from their perspective, after the events of "Maverick Hunters Versus Vile" (WUB: Mega Man: Worlds Unite Battles)
- "Sonic Man vs. The Robot Masters" (WUB: MM) takes place between this chapter and the last.
- Archie Sonic Boom Issue 8 at Mega Man Knowledge Base
- Archie Sonic Boom Issue 8 at Sonic News Network