- Previous Issue ←—→ Next Issue
- This issue takes place between Sonic Universe #78 and Sonic the Hedgehog #275
The SONIC/MEGA MAN Crossover event explodes beyond the worlds of just our two blue heroes! "Worlds Unite" Part Ten: Sonic, Mega Man, X and Sticks continue to rally heroes from across the wide expanse of the SEGA and Capcom universes! Who will be brave and join the unified assaulted against Sigma? PLUS with all of the heroes busy, who’s keeping an eye on the malicious Xander Payne and Evil BFFs Drs. Eggman and Wily? The villains MUST be plotting something now—but what? Featuring the worlds of VIEWTIFUL JOE, GOLDEN AXE, BREATH OF FIRE, PANZER DRAGOON, BILLY HATCHER, MONSTER HUNTER and more! Plus cover art from the legendary Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante, and variant cover art from Reilly Brown and part 10 of the epic 12-part connecting variant cover series by artist Ben Bates!
In the world of Monster Hunter, Sticks the Badger and X have arrived at the Ancestral Steppe from the Genesis Portal on their air transport, with Sticks riding on top of X's shoulders, ready to track down the Mavericks with the Unity Engine. Sticks then asks if some people nearby were them, with X confirming it. X recognizes the Mavericks and expressed shock that Sigma also resurrect them before yelling at their helpers, the cat-like hunters Felyne and Palico (who are dressed up as both Sonic and Mega Man). As Palico braced himself and Felyne meowed in confusion, Agile says he was not specific when checking their credentials as they were indeed hunters, but X-Hunters, casting the cats aside, with Serges also commenting that Zero won't save X this time around. Before the battle starts, a mighty Gore Magala appears behind the X-Hunters, smashing Serges and cutting Violen in half with a bite. Agile is terrified and tries to ward him off, but has no time to react as the giant monster devours him. X tells the cats to run to a safe place while he protects them, but Sticks says it won't be necessary comparing the creature to a puppy. Sticks tries to calm the elder dragon by talking gibberish to it, and X is surprised to see that she is successful, recruiting the beast to their cause.
In the world of Billy Hatcher, Amy Rose and Mega Man (the former riding on an Extreme Gear and the latter riding on Rush) arrived at Morning Land's Forest Village via a Genesis Portal, with Mega Man noting that the world is pristine before mentioning they have to stop the Mavericks or the Unity Engine will destroy all of its life. Amy notices a battle nearby, where Billy Hatcher and his friends Rolly Roll, Chick Poacher, and Bantam Scrambled are using their egg powers to overwhelm the Maverick, Wind Crowrang. The crow-like Maverick expresses shock at being beaten by an egg and struggles to get up, with Billy Hatcher stating they have experience dealing with crows before finishing him off, though he expresses disappointment when seeing that he did not get fruit as a result, due to beating crow-like monsters usually yielding fruit. Amy warns them to look out and Mega Man starts shooting at Dark Necrobat, who was about to attack Billy from behind. Billy then yells to the egg, making a rhinoceros Cipher come out of it and destroy Dark Necrobat. Mega Man and Amy meet up with them, but before they explain about Sigma, Menie-Funie, god of Morning Land, explains it all to the four, who agree to help.
Meanwhile, on the Unified World, Sigma is destroying the Sky Patrol, and everyone get inside a escape shuttle to leave. Unfortunately, debris fall on the shuttle and they are trapped, but Metal Sonic appears with the last Chaos Emerald and helps them escape. Sigma then tears the Sky Patrol in half.
In the World of Panzer Dragoon, Rotor and Bubble Man are fighting against Burn Dinorex at the Drowned Ruins. Bubble Man is dodging Burn Dinorex's attacks and is terrified at the future robots being scary. Rotor then proceeds to dive underwater, although not before telling Bubble Man to distract the Maverick while he gets into position. Bubble Man uses Bubble Lead on Burn Dinorex while yelling that he is the weapon here so he should not be told what to do. Rotor swims at a rate that causes a swirling trail to appear on his lower half. He then emerges and uses Drill Rush on Burn Dinorex. Burn Dinorex then notices that Gigavolt Man-O-War left him behind and denounced him as a coward at labored breaths, but nonetheless manages to activate the Unity Engine, to Rotor's horror. Gigavolt is scared of his pursuer, a Blue Dragon that destroys him and Burn Dinorex. Bubble Man laments that they could not avoid the Unity Engine's activation, but Rotor has an idea. Calling the Blue Dragon's rider, Keil Fluge, he instructs Bubble Man to use his acid Bubble Lead on the Unity Engine's shield to weaken it and allow the dragon's powerful shot to pass it and destroy the machine. The plan works, and Rotor asks Keil if he wants to join them in taking care of the one that tried to destroy his world.
In the world of Breath of Fire III, at the Lost Shore of the Steel Grave, Hard Man and Big are traversing the area. While this is going on, the last of the Dragon Brood, Ryu and the holy warrior Guardian Garr are fighting against Toxic Seahorse and Spiral Pegasus, and the Princess of Wyndia Nina, the Grassrunner engineer Momo, and her Chrysm-powered robot companion Honey are close to the Unity Engine. Momo is distracted with analyzing the Unity Engine, noting that it was definitely recent and shows no sign of wear, while Nina is attempting to warn the distracted engineer that Spiral Pegasus is headed in their direction. Momo then, after apologizing, proceeds to use her bazooka as Nina casts the Cyclone spell at Spiral Pegasus.
When the Woren thief Rei attempts to attack Toxic Seahorse, he dissolves and returns to normal behind Rei, attacking him. Peco uses its Frost Breath skill to freeze Toxic Seahorse, and Rei takes the opportunity to finish the Maverick. Afterwards Peco uses its Rejuvenate spell to cure Rei. Nina uses her most powerful spell on Spiral Pegasus, Myollnir, causing the Maverick to fall, and Ryu finishes him. With their opponents down, Garr asks if Momo knows what their device is for. Momo correctly guesses its purpose as a trans-dimensional siphon to steal a wide spectrum of energy sources, with Hard Man confirming it and asking the heroes to join them in stopping the responsible.
It the world of Golden Axe, Shadow Man and Antoine D'Coolette arrive at Yurian Forest, where they run into the dwarven warrior Gilius Thunderhead fending off Gareth's lion, eventually simultaneously decapitating it and cleaving its head in two in a single blow after flipping it onto it's back. Gilius then sees Shadow Man and Antoine and believes them to be Death Adder's minions. Antoine tells him in a panicked manner that they are not minions and in fact came to help him. Gilius then puts away his axe and tells them that if that's the case they should hurry up as they're about done.
Not far away, Gareth attacks the barbarian Ax Battler, apparently starting to say that no mere blade can cause him harm, but before he finishes the line, Ax Battler cuts his arm off, causing him to fall in pain. Gareth is impressed with the barbarian's strength and, before receiving a final blow to the head, laments that he failed to Lady Berkana. Berkana, flying nearby, is avoiding all the attacks from the angry amazon warrior Tyris Flare and uses a magic to put a limit on the amazon. While Berkana prepares an ice attack, Tyris says that she has no limits and has magic of her own, scorching Berkana with her Fire Ghost magic. Ax Battler asks if Tyris is alright, and she notes that it is over and the witch's hex is fading. Ax Battler then asks what is the device the two were protecting, and Gilius appears with Shadow Man and Antoine, saying that "the fox-man and lad in armored pajamas might know". Antoine corrects that he is a coyote and says they indeed have much to be telling them.
In the world of Viewtiful Joe, Axl and Sticks (who fell through a "plot hole" or Genesis Portal) are dealing with Sting Chameleon and Volt Kraken in Movieland, when help arrives in the form of Viewtiful Joe and Sexy Silvia. Their VFX powers quickly clobber the Mavericks and they agree to help, mostly because Joe is still waiting for the next sequel to his own game. Sticks is happy to find other characters that can break the fourth wall. Back on the Unified World, Sonic and Break Man return and ask Cream the Rabbit what happened. After explaining their escape from the Sky Patrol and that they have all Chaos Emeralds, Cream tearfully says that Eggman, Wily and Xander Payne are missing. Sonic comforts her saying that they certainly are somewhere causing trouble for Sigma, and tells Nicole to rally all parties to the Delphinus and prepare to fight Sigma.
In the world of Sonic Boom, Tails notes that there is an interdimensional war going on right now. Sonic is not bothered, Knuckles is annoyed, saying that they should be fighting alongside with the others. Tails asks for Amy's thoughts and she is positive that they are being well represented. Meanwhile on the Unified World, Comedy Chimp and Fastidious Beaver are screaming their lungs out, much to Sticks' annoyance.
- The heroes continue recruiting other heroes from other worlds.
- In the world of Monster Hunter, Sticks and Mega Man X help a Felyne dressed like Mega Man and a Palico dressed like Sonic get away from the Mavericks Agile, Serges and Violen, better known as the X-Hunters, and tame a Chaotic Gore Magala to assist them.
- In the world of Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Amy Rose and Mega Man warn Billy Hatcher, Rolly Roll, Chick Poacher and Bantam Scrambled about the dangers ahead as they fight the Mavericks Dark Dizzy/Dark Necrobat and Wind Crowrang.
- In the Unified World, Metal Sonic helps Cream, Comedy Chimp, Fastidious Beaver and Flash Man escape from Sigma's grasp as the Sky Patrol is destroyed.
- In the world of Panzer Dragoon, Rotor and Bubble Man deal with the Mavericks Mattrex and Gigabolt Man-O-War with assistance from Keil Fluge and Blue Dragon.
- In the world of Breath of Fire III, Big and Hard Man encounter another Ryu and his buddies Nina, Momo, Honey, Garr, Rei and Peco facing the Mavericks Toxic Seahorse and The Skiver/Spiral Pegasus.
- In the world of Golden Axe, Antoine and Shadow Man recruit Ax Battler, Tyris Flare and Gilius Thunderhead after thrashing the Mavericks Berkana and Gareth.
- In the world of Viewtiful Joe, Viewtiful Joe himself and Sexy Silvia help Sticks and Axl deal with the Mavericks Sting Chameleon and Squid Adler.
- Back in the Unified World, Sonic tells Nicole to round up all the heroes and prepare for the final battle.
- Sticks: Oof platinka? Iggity-biggity-bloop! Snarf blargle snippity-wibbit.
- Mega Man X: You... Calmed it down? W-what did you say to it?
- Sticks: No idea! But how surprised do you think Sigma will be when this jumps out of a Genesis Portal and onto his face?!
- Fastidious Beaver: Can't you stop time? You're not doing much to help.
- Flash Man: I ran out of energy keeping us alive while we grabbed the Chaos Emeralds! What's your excuse?!
- Fastidious Beaver: Low blood sugar.
- Axl: Sure, but... Weren't you partnered with X...?
- Sticks: I fell through a plot hole, and now I'm here.
- Axl: Don't you mean "Genesis Portal"?
- Sticks: Whatever works for you, kid. Now move it!
- Axl: Yes ma'am...
- This is the third consecutive issue in which the Sonic Boom version of Sonic doesn't appear on the cover, and the second where the the Boom incarnations of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot don't appear within the main story.
- The main cover plays directly off of the main cover of SU#78 (Worlds Unite Part 9).
- The three characters on the cover (Sticks, Sonic and Mega Man) are positioned in a similar fashion to the characters on the cover of Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 161 with Shadow, Scourge, and Sonic, right down to the hand positions(switched positions) and face shoving for attention. Coincidentally, both covers were done by the same artist Patrick Spaziante.
- Gemerl, Roll, and two of Wily's Robot Masters, Spark Man and Snake Man, are the only heroes unaccounted for by the end of this issue.
- Joe's signature hand sign, with the index and ring fingers pulled down, is consistently altered starting with this issue. This is most likely due to the fact that it leaves his middle finger extended and it is seen in many places as a rude gesture.
Cameos and References
- Sticks suggesting X wear a scarf isn't jus a nod to her world - it's also a reference to Mega Man X: Command Mission, where he gains an energy scarf that shows up when he runs.
- The Felyne and Pelico are showing off the Sonic and Mega Man DLC skins for Monster Hunter 4.
- The escape shuttle from inside of the Sky Patrol resembles Opa-Opa, a Sega character from Fantasy Zone.
- Joe states that he and Sylvia are still waiting for their own sequel. The last Viewtiful Joe game released was all the way back in 2005. It's something of a running gag whenever Joe shows up in other games to state that he's still waiting for that sequel, as it was told he would save the world three times.
- Sticks claims that she has been traveling between the various worlds via a "plot hole."
- The aformentioned reference involving Joe and Sylvia is, of course, a breaking of the fourth wall. Fourth wall breaking is common in the Viewtiful Joe video games, something which Sticks is estatic to learn.
- Archie Sonic Boom Issue 10 at Mega Man Knowledge Base
- Archie Sonic Boom Issue 10 at Sonic News Network