- No Previous Issue ←—→ Next Issue
Archie Sonic Boom Issue 1 is the first issue of the spin off Sonic Boom comic series.
Here comes the BOOM! Based on the new hit TV and video game comes Sonic Boom, a new ongoing Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series from Archie Comics! Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends are back and ready to do battle with the evil Dr. Eggman and his diabolical death-machines! This ground-breaking new chapter in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise puts a new 'spin' on all your favorite heroes and villains - plus new faces and hilarious new stories chock-full of action! Featuring a stunning first issue cover by Sonic art legend Patrick 'SPAZ' Spaziante, and 4-part 'Here Comes the Boom' collector covers from series artists Evan Stanley, Rick Bryant, and Matt Herms!
- "Getting a Little Boulder: Part One of...er...One"
On a sunny afternoon in the Sonic Boom Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog finds himself on a stroll along the shoreline as he outruns Dr. Eggman's latest mech: the Big Boy. He teases Eggman for a bit, bouncing around the mech's frame and leaving footprints on his windshield, before meeting up with his buddy Miles "Tails" Prower. Tails takes a good look at the mech, judging what it was built with and its abilities, and ends up so impressed that he starts chatting with Eggman about its specifications. Just then, Knuckles the Echidna arrives and starts threatening Eggman, but the Big Boy steps on him, smashing him into the sand. Amy Rose arrives and helps Knuckles up, berating him for not focusing on fighting the enemy. Under Amy's direction the group attacks the robot's knees and cockpit all at once, toppling the mechanical mammoth and sending it crashing into the water below.
The group briefly admires their handiwork as the Big Boy does the backstroke back to Dr. Eggman's lair. Their respite is interrupted when Sticks the Badger arrives in a tizzy. Momentarily concerned about her name being introduced as a logo, Sticks informs everyone that Tails' house was robbed. The rest of the group consoles Tails, who asks Sticks exactly what was stolen. Sticks repeats that his house was robbed as the group finds that Tails' house is no longer where it used to be. Sticks tells the group that she saw a cyborg rock golem take Tails' house, but the others are a bit skeptical. Sonic comes up with the brilliant plan of finding Tails' house and getting it back, which Amy is quick to poke fun of. Sonic asks Knuckles what he thinks about it, but Knuckles is just confused about how a rock can by a cyborg. Amy tries to explain, but Knuckles just finds himself more confused as Amy's patience runs thin.
Sticks starts sniffing the ground nearby and heads off in a hurry. The rest of the group follows her, assuming she's on the trail of the rock cyborg. Sticks explains that she just thought the grass smelled nice and she's been following the giant footprints leading away from Tails' house. The group spots the rock monster wearing Tails' house as a hat and pursue. Sonic tries to get the rock monster's attention, assuming that anything created by Eggman is programmed to hate him. He's proven right as the monster follows him back towards Tails' house's natural resting place. Meanwhile, Sticks climbs up the monster to check Tails' house for wiretaps. Tails tells her that she needs to get out of harm's way, but Sticks counters that she's not in danger of getting stepped on when she's on top of the giant monster. Meanwhile, Amy becomes increasingly frustrated trying to get Knuckles to follow her instructions. Reaching her boiling point, Amy tells Knuckles that he needs to try thinking for once.
The monster arrives and the group launches yet another coordinated attack, with Sonic blowing a hole right through the creature's core. The house lands back exactly where it started and Sticks admires Tails' new paved walkway, rock garden, and quarry. The next day at Dr. Eggman's lair, Eggman orders Cubot and Orbot to keep his breakfast nice and evilly warm and to tell their visitor to go away, respectively. Orbot asks the doctor if he's sure, as their guess is none other than Knuckles the Echidna, who proposes that they should team up.
In a full-page edition of Off Panel, Sonic welcomes readers to the world of Sonic Boom, filled with new friends, new adventures and, to his surprise, new neckwear. Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Sticks appear, each sporting their own fancy scarf. Sonic is upset, telling his friends that they can't copy his new look, but Knuckles retorts that they already have. Tails thinks the scarf is perfect for his pilot look while Amy admires scarves for being fashionable and functional at the same time. Sonic asks Sticks if she made her scarf out of tinfoil. Sticks explains that it'll keep people from reading her mind and starts posing. An exasperated Sonic explains that what really matters is their adventures and asks the readers send in their letters and fanart. Eggman arrives, sporting his own scarf, much to Sonic's frustration. Script by Aleah Baker, pencils by Ryan Jampole, inks by Jack Morelli, colors by Matt Herms.
- Knuckles: "Ha! That thing's hat looks just like Tails' house!"
- Amy: "It is Tails' house!"
- Knuckles: "Oh. I didn't know Tails lived in a hat. Does that mean he's got a postal code or a hat size?"
- Amy: "I know it's hard, but for Tails' sake, try to actually think for the next five minutes!"
- Dr. Eggman: "Hurry up, Cubot! My breakfast loses its evilness if it gets cold!"
- Doctor Eggman unleashes his Big Boy battle robot on Sonic and friends for the time, only to be defeated by the heroes.
- Knuckles seemingly decides to team up with Doctor Eggman when Amy upsets him...
- This issue has a total of four interconnecting variant covers, the first set of variant covers for an Archie Sonic title of that nature.
- This issue starts a number of running jokes through the Sonic Boom comic series, including adding prefixes like "ker-" and "ka-" to most sound effects and characters being introduced with/being aware of logo text.
- Dr. Eggman's giant robot, The Big Boy, is introduced in this issue but is not named until the recap page of Sonic Boom #2 and isn't named in-story until Sonic Boom #3.
Cameos & References
- Tails exclamation of "Great Scott!" and Eggman's claim that his robot "goes from zero to sixty in under a minute" are famous lines said by Doc Brown in the Back to the Future movie trilogy
This issue has been reprinted in the following places: